Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Custom Plywood Terrarium

Well I have finally got started on my custom terrarium. This is a pic of the overall veiw.

I still have a ways to go on it. but I am doing a little at a time. I moved it inside to warm up so i can use the probond glue to glue it all together and cure. I will then finish screwing it all together and wait about a week or so before moveing to the next step of coating inside with the fiberglass resin and possibly cloth. Let me know what you think of it so far.

Mike P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 11:36 PM

Looks promising. Zeus is like, hey let me in the shot. i wanna be famous too.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:47 PM

Yes my boy Zues just couldnt resits getting in the picture but for those of you who know how big he is it will give you a better feel for the size of it with him in the picture. He has lost a little bit of wieght but still over 110lbs.

Mike P.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:58 PM

I know it is off topic, but, what kind of dog is he?

-Shelley
Old 11-29-2004, 12:38 AM

I think he is an american bulldog. am i right scorpion. Great dog.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 AM

110 sounds pretty big for a bulldog, is he a boxer?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 AM

Not a boxer, I'm a boxer mommy! lol But I was actually thinking American Bulldog! Not a lot of people know what they even are. GORGEOUS DOGS!! I also have a boxer/american bulldog mix, so I have read up on both breeds. Sorry again to hijack your post Mike, but I would love to see more pics of him.

-Shelley
Old 11-29-2004, 03:21 PM

Doesn't American Bulldog = Pit Bull?

I thought they were one in the same. I like Pit Bull, they just get bad publicity.

Uh nice looking viv by the way. Wish i had anything that resembled handiness when it came to carpentry.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:19 PM

Hey Mike are you going to use Polished glass on that viv. I would recommend it. All the regular glass i get gets real hazy on me.

As far as Zeus goes. I almost positive he is american bulldog. 110 is pretty slim for an american bulldog i think. THis would have to be one huge pitbull or boxer. They are not the same as pits but they look alot alike in a picture. they are just so much bigger. Yes pits get real bad publicity, but its all bs. Its the owners not the dogs that create the problem. I wanted a pitbull, and my parents were not about to let me get one because of my little sister. Instead i got a English Bulldog and let me tell you my sister could still be mulled. They weigh about the same and the bully could easily still tear her up if she wanted to. So whats the difference? I would trust Zeus or a pit that i raised just as much if not more than my bratty, stubborn english bulldog. I got a 85 year old grandma that lives with me too, but the bulldog has formed a strange bond with her so thats and odd couple. Its all in the rearing, just dont tell your insurance company which one you got.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Doesn't American Bulldog = Pit Bull?
Nope. American bulldogs are the largest of the bulldogs, they can get up to 125lbs. Pit bulls and even American Staffordshire Terrier's are different. I completely agree with the way that you raise an animal will change its disposition greatly. People always thought that my dogs were pit bulls when they were pups. Man a lot of people don't like those dogs. Sad really.

-Shelley
Old 11-29-2004, 04:51 PM

This is some lounge material but until its moved i will stay here to.

Even boxers are starting to get bad reps, and its ridiculous. Dogs dont kill people, people kill people. how does that go. either way people's perception of pits and other similar dogs really make me mad. To some extext breeds have certain traits, but when its comes to killer breeds its just not possible. Nature vs Nuture is easily won by nuture here i think.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 PM

For all of those that where wondering, Zues is an American Bulldog. He is of average weight for a male which the top average weight is about 125lbs, but they can get larger than that. I was told that zues would have gotten closer to 150lbs if we didnt get him fixed at 6 months. The AB is totaly differnt from a Staffordshire Terrier or a Pit Bull Terrier which could be consider the same dog but are not anymore. These dogs may have all came from the same breed but took difernts paths and other breeds where mixed in. They are all consider to be Bully Bredds and the AB is supposed to be the largest of them that are typically found in the US but they are not the largest of the Bullys. Whole new topic here.

Back to my Viv. I wasnt sure what type of glass I was going to use on it Jace, but now you have me thinking. Is there that much of a differnce between the polished and say the type you would get at Lowes or Home Depot? I was just going to go to one or the other and pick some up but now I am not sure. Jace, do you know where could I buy some polished glass at around Indy. I may have to go to a glass shop if I can find one but I still have plenty of time. Thanks again.

I will have to get some pics developed for thoose that would like to see some better pics of Zues. As soon as I do I will post some or send them to anybody that would like some.

Mike P.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Here's our English Bulldog.

Sorry, i couldn't resist, she's our pride and joy:

Old 11-29-2004, 10:02 PM

OH! american bulldog! I was thinking of the kind my neighbors have that's pretty small, i think it's a french bulldog.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:56 AM

Nice looking tank so far, Scorpion! Have you decided on a door type yet?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM

hey guys
No I dont know where you can find polished glass. I have never looked anywhere cause i hav never built a viv like yours. I have side opening vert ten gallons. This way i dont really see the fogging, or i just em as front opening and just deal with the hazy. The stuff i get is real cheap from the do it center. Plus i can sit there in the back and work on it with Zach. They might even have it there or at least something nicer. If your going throug all the trouble building a cool custom, you might get something a little more like the glass you get with a tank. Ill check when i go there i think sometime this week. Give me dimensions. Maybe hell just cut it up for you. no promises, but i should have to go when i get some cash for some stuff i need.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:14 PM

Jace

I am not sure of the dimesion of the glass I need yet. Plus I wont be that far until neext year in January or Feburaury. Thanks for the offer though. In the meantime I will do some looking around here and there.

Homer

I have not decided on what type of door yet but I believe it will be a swing door that opens to the side. The sides of the tank extend the whole deepth of it while the front fits in between the sides. I was possibly thinking of makeing 2 doors of the front, top and bottom but I am not that sure. I still have to figuire out ventalation for it as well. Weather or not I put in an adjustable ventalation screen, in the front at the top, is still being decide upon. If I do this I will make the top peice of plywood in the front larger than it is and fiuire something out.

As far as the lighting system goes I think I am leaning towards the t8,s 18 or 15 inch bulbs and wire them up with an elletric ballast.

I still have a long way to go with some designing as far as picking out what type of parts to use and how to use them. I would like to know this before I seal the plywood to keep from haveing to go back and reseal areas again. The biggest part I need to figuire out is the pump to use. I believe I will be using an external canister filter to filter and pump the water for my waterfalls. This is the next step I am going to be working on after I get it all glued up and some final details work out.

Thanks for all the help and I will be keeping everyone update as progress continues. Hopefully I will have my pump and fiberglass resin this month but if not I will next month then it wont be much longer after that.

Mike P.