No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stkef9
  • 1 Post By Nepenthe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 AM

Default 33 Gallon Custom Build

Well, I'm going to take the plunge and get a vivarium started. I've had orchids and reef tanks for years and years but never a big vivarium. I have a little cube terrarium that's been up for 4 years or so now which houses some bulbophyllums, ferns, moss, and tiny begonias. Everything is getting way too big, so it's time for an upgrade.

I've wanted leucs since I was a kid, but I want to get this tank well established before I even start considering that. It may just remain a terrarium.

For now my 20 x 16 x 24" tank will be here Friday, all my equipment has started trickling in already. I've been reading all your threads for tons of inspiration and am really excited to get going! For now it's over to Home Depot to get some parts for my humidifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 PM

Default Re: 33 Gallon Custom Build

Welcome. Its all over once you take the plunge. Theres a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:04 AM

I'm really excited! There's so much great information here. My substrate is held up on the East Coast because of the storm, but my Evo's will be here tomorrow, and I have all the parts to mod out my fogger. I'm a little bummed that I have to miss the Santa Barbara orchid show, but I want the tank up and running before I really dive into more orchids. I figure I can hit the bromeliad society show in July and then go to the October orchid show. By then I'll be out of grad school too, so I'll have more time to read and research.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 AM

Another former Reefer here as well! Just got my tank planted well half planted have more coming in tomorrow. If you are anything like I was in the reef tank hobby you are in for it! I'm just lucky (and unlucky) that their are no local places for plants and frogs around me otherwise I'd be spending all my money on frogs and more tanks! Already have a collection of old tanks kicking around from the saltwater days. Its definitely as addicting so far and I don't even have frogs yet. Definitely post up pics of your progress. Here's one of mine currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.6 KB, 122 views)
Nepenthe likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkef9 View Post
Another former Reefer here as well! Just got my tank planted well half planted have more coming in tomorrow. If you are anything like I was in the reef tank hobby you are in for it! I'm just lucky (and unlucky) that their are no local places for plants and frogs around me otherwise I'd be spending all my money on frogs and more tanks! Already have a collection of old tanks kicking around from the saltwater days. Its definitely as addicting so far and I don't even have frogs yet. Definitely post up pics of your progress. Here's one of mine currently.
Nice vivarium!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcameraman View Post
Nice vivarium!
Thank you! Still learning, its been months since I had touched this tank, finally got a wild hair a couple weeks ago and got to work on it. Just got more plants in it today and now the waiting game to get everything rooted and growing well. Any pics of your setup??
Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkef9 View Post
Oh it looks great! Yeah, I LOVE my reef tank, but after my last big crash, I just didn't have the heart to really get into it again. Hopefully this will be a good substitute!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Tank here! 20 x 16 x 24" I thought that 24" would be too tall on this dresser, for accessibility, but I can easily reach the back. Ran out of silicone, so I'll glue the fogger tomorrow. EVO's should be here tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 AM

Here's my 3 year old 3 gallon who's plants I am transferring out.

Everything from the tank. I don't know what the big fern is but it's slow growing and forgiving. The mass of little plants is Microgramma vaccinifolia and it's basically invasive. The begonias are 'Little Darling'.

Hardscape done!

Plants done. I need to get some broms and orchids and I can't wait to let this guy grow.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 AM

My favorite part is the fogger. I took an old lily pipe and attached it to a modified humidifier. Eventually I'll hook it up to a controller, but for now it goes on periodically throughout the day.

comas60634 likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Thumbs up Re: 33 Gallon Custom Build

That looks great!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Well done. That's nice!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnj View Post
That looks great!