Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Finally ready to plant! 5' x 5' x 2.5'

@Llama,

I am surprised to hear people have suggested Racinea crispa likes it dry. It is a cloud forest species so it expects moist/wet conditions. Most of mine have water in their leaf bases constantly. I my experience you get leaf tip browning if the plants don't receive regular misting throughout the day.

One thing Racinea seems to want is good air flow and bright light. My happiest plants are right in the bright spots of my light fixtures. As a cloud forest plant they likely prefer cooler conditions but mine tolerate daytime temps during the summer in the mid 80s just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 04:15 AM

@Kinstrome
Awesome, that's reassuring. In that case I just need to find one haha. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find yours?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:16 PM

@Llama,

I'm kimcmich (Kipp McMichael) rather than kinstrome.

I got my first Racinea from a bromeliad nursery called birdrocktropicals.com - very nice plants and good prices. The plants I got originally pup pretty reliably so I still have descendants of those first ones.

South American plant nurseries that visit the US for orchid shows are another great source for Racinea sp. Equaflor-A usually has it available. Ecuagenera is another possible source. Both the nurseries will ship plants to you from their shows in the US. Both are also great sources for orchids, bromeliads, mosses and ferns that are very appropriate to frog vivs.

Last edited by kimcmich; 07-28-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:11 PM

My bad Kipp, I had been talking to Kinstrome earlier and just mixed the two names up in my head. The nicknames get a little tiresome, i made this account when i first got dart frogs way back in middle school and now I'm stuck with the name "llama" lol. I've bought orchids from Ecuagenera before. I'll have to ask if they have any crispa too. Thanks for the tip👍
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Default The Viv at 2.5 Years

So here's another update of the viv at the 2.5 year mark:

The frogs (R. imitator 'Varadero') have been prolific. I recently re-homed 5 juveniles and still have a few more running around. I'm pretty excited about one of the babies that morphed a few weeks ago. It has a black dot only over one eye on an otherwise solid orange head - we'll see if this pattern persists and it might be a holdback.

The plants continue to grow-in. At this point, much less wood is exposed than when I started the tank and it might be time to pull off some epiphytic carpet to show off some of the wood again.

bssknox and Kinstrome like this.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:36 PM

I was going to ask, "what is that veiny translucent plant to the middle-left of the first photo?" before I realized, "I need to ask what every single plant is, they are beautiful."
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 AM

Kinstrome,

The plant in the first image is a Trichomanes fern (no species ID but perhaps T. reptans). There is a Hymenophyllum sp fern in the image also. Both are filmy ferns.

Image 2 is a fruitfly garden with Asplenium and Lemmaphyllum ferns.

Image 3 is an orchid - Lepanthes calodicyton with a vine of Trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes tumbling over.

Image 4 is a collection of small ferns and a purple form of Malaxis commelinafolia, an orchid.

Image 5 is Bulbophylum moniliforme.

Image 6 is an orchid, Angraecum distichum
Old 11-22-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Kinstrome,

The plant in the first image is a Trichomanes fern (no species ID but perhaps T. reptans). There is a Hymenophyllum sp fern in the image also. Both are filmy ferns.

Image 2 is a fruitfly garden with Asplenium and Lemmaphyllum ferns.

Image 3 is an orchid - Lepanthes calodicyton with a vine of Trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes tumbling over.

Image 4 is a collection of small ferns and a purple form of Malaxis commelinafolia, an orchid.

Image 5 is Bulbophylum moniliforme.

Image 6 is an orchid, Angraecum distichum
Can you tell me more about the micro conditions for the distichum? I just had a seedling poop out on me and die but the rest of it’s Madagascar friends are doing great in a new viv. Trying to set up for Mantellas. Also I love love this thread.

Do the frogs do ok with nighttime temps down to 60? I live in Portland just north of you but basically the same climate and with the misting it seems temps go down that low at night and up to 75 on summer days. Most folks have said the dendrobates need low to mid 70s so I’m a little cautious and looking for another option (I have 2 recently planted vivs, one with Madagascan orchids, another I’ll probably put some masdevallia in there).
Old 11-22-2019, 07:20 PM

@orchidsnfrogs,

The Angraecum is in the upper part of the viv so it gets very bright light and experiences drier conditions than the Pluerothallids lower down. It grows out of a mass of moss, ferns and bromeliad roots that stays consistently moist but, because of it's vertical orientation, does not stay soggy. You can tell by the fleshy, near succulent nature of the leaves that the plant expects drier conditions - and I bet it would prefer things even drier than I keep it but it seems happy enough. Those images of flowers were the first time it had bloomed for me in the 2 years I've had it.

As for temps: My Ranitomeya seem to survive just fine with nighttime temps that are consistently in the lower 60s during the winter with a dip below 60 on rare occasions. I also see temps as high as the mid 80s when the lights are on during warm summer afternoons (which are not a daily occurrence in Berkeley but they happen often enough).
Old 12-02-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
@orchidsnfrogs,

The Angraecum is in the upper part of the viv so it gets very bright light and experiences drier conditions than the Pluerothallids lower down. It grows out of a mass of moss, ferns and bromeliad roots that stays consistently moist but, because of it's vertical orientation, does not stay soggy. You can tell by the fleshy, near succulent nature of the leaves that the plant expects drier conditions - and I bet it would prefer things even drier than I keep it but it seems happy enough. Those images of flowers were the first time it had bloomed for me in the 2 years I've had it.

As for temps: My Ranitomeya seem to survive just fine with nighttime temps that are consistently in the lower 60s during the winter with a dip below 60 on rare occasions. I also see temps as high as the mid 80s when the lights are on during warm summer afternoons (which are not a daily occurrence in Berkeley but they happen often enough).
Thank you!