Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Terrariums

I finally got around to making a gallery (user yeager) if people wanted to see some of my terrariums. Most have lengthy verbage with them describing how I don't really like any of them that much. They all have potential and very cool plants, but are just too young still (6 months at the oldest). There's also a few random pictures of frogs at Mark Pepper's house-- these pictures aren't of the 'rare' frogs, just things I found interesting of photogenic when I passed their tanks-- so sorry for all you guys who want to see all the D. pumilio and all that. I also posted pictures of the empty acrylics I got from him for my lab. I'll probably get them set up roughly this weekend, so maybe I'll post pictures. Most of my plants are from friends, Harry (of Cloud Jungle), Black Jungle, and the local Home Depot for fern fillers. I also field collected some things to try out-- most of them are doing very well. The 90 gallon is the first case where I've ever had new growth from native resurrection ferns. Anyway, I'm sure there's maybe one person who would be interested in this, so I finally got some up. If anyone wants to help fill those acrylics with frogs for the lab, please see the wanted section for those species which I need-- donations would be much appreciated.
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 AM

I'll see if this works so people don't have to go to the gallery...
j
Old 11-16-2004, 11:28 AM

My 90 gallon. Look up all descriptions in the gallery.

The 20 high.

The 65, even though it's a little different now (more plants, java growing on the ground, etc)

We'll see if I can screw up the easy directions I got from Beetle for posting the pictures here...
j[/list]

Old 11-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Nice, did you buy a camera?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 PM

where did you get the piece of wood in the 20 high. That is the coolest piece of wood ive ever seen i think. Nice tanks
Old 11-16-2004, 11:50 PM

Kyle, didn't get it yet-- didn't really have time to shop around more just yet.

As for the wood, that coincidentally was from a construction site just off campus. The construction workers took some trees and shrubs out and gave me a few days to sort through it and take what I needed. I just trimmed it up a bit, cleaned it, and it's worked pretty well. I had a whole bunch more of it, but ended up throwing it out in the woods.
j
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 AM

How did u sanitize it (the wood that is)?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 AM

I didn't. I know the area pretty well and that wood was from an empty lot that they sold for a new house in an old neighborhood. The wood I just cleaned off a bit and planted in the tank. It aged in the tank for about three months before frogs were added (thanks to Dave and Erin from EDs Fly Meat). That tank was the only thing I really had for them when the frogs came, so the D. amazonicus went in there then. I normally get my driftwood from a vendor at the Hamburg PA shows, but occasionally I'll grab a piece I like. Just use common sense and you'll normally be fine.
j

p.s. Thanks for the kind words on the tanks. I still am not fully happy with them. They look much better than the photos in person as welll...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:01 AM

The only thing I can think of that you might want to change for the middle viv is maybe adding more plants. You have a couple broms and some vine like plants that don't really fill up the tank. Otherwise the other two look pretty cool IMHO.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:05 AM

Yeah, that tank was just started with clippings from other stuff, it's got a ton of growing to do. IT wasn't really a show tank, but more of a throw things in it and let them grow. I am no where near satisfied with it, but I only have so many plants to work with right now. I hate that whole right side of the tank, so eventually when things from other tanks get to size I can take more cuttings and fill holes.
j
Old 11-17-2004, 01:07 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the picture of the 20 is about a month or two old, so there's 2 Philodendrons and a Syngonium in that 'hole'. Still needs growth though, but the moss is taking off.
j
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 AM

When it grows in it'll look cool. I am just now able to get moss to grow in my tanks, don't know why it wouldn't grow earlier o.O. Just give it time, most tanks can look really bad when they start and with the right pruning and stuff they turn out great (gee what does this sound like >_<).