Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Default Question about caging

I am new to the hobby of keeping dart frogs (I do keep a green anole and a redback salmander though) and am interested to know what is the best and easiest system of housing dart frogs. I have seen exo terras/zoo meds, long tanks, vertical tanks and I would like to know which one the experts use :wink: I would also be interested in any comments on lighting as I don't know what would be best for a dart frog. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Question about caging

If you are familiar with the exo-terras then I would suggest them, especially the 18x18x24 or larger. I am going to be using them pretty much exclusivley from now on, since they are so well designed and function very well(except that they need to be ff proofed). They have access for running wires in for hygometers and thermometers and for power to water pumps, which can be a major hassle with regular aqauriums with custom made front openings.
Exo-terra makes a very nice light hood that fits perfectly over the top that can hold 2 26w compact fluo. bulbs which is a fair amount of light. Plus as a bonus they have a slot for holding your exoterra brand hygro and thermometer on top!
I would not suggest the 12x12x18 since they are really too small for adult frogs.
Soon they will have a 34x24x18 which I am planning on getting. This will be a nice size encloser. I wish I knew when they will be releasing it.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM

I think it greatly depends on which type of frog you're looking at getting.

Horizontal tanks are great for terrestrial frogs, and because of the price of regular all glass tanks, its cheaper to get a large enough tank for some of the larger frogs (Leucs, Azureus, Tincs, ect...) All of my larger frogs are in large horizontal tanks.

Vert tanks are great for thumbnail and other arboreal frogs. And also fun for the diy'er...

Exo-Terra and Zoo-Med enclosures are great, I do have a couple. As mentioned the 18x18x24 is a great size (for thumbnial and smaller frogs) Because the exos (generally) do not have the floor space I wouldn't recommend them for anything but small arboreal frogs. Of course if you did get a 24x18x24 or wider exo than it would be great for some terrestrial frogs.

SO, in short, depends on what type of frogs you plan on getting??

The lighting most of us use on our dart frog vivs, is actually geared towards what the plants need.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the answers and opinions I have been getting, I really appreciate it. To answer your question about what frog I want, I think I am leaning towards a dendrobates auratus because I have heard they are good beginner dart frogs but if anyone else has suggestions to another good beginner's dart frog I would be more than happy to hear them.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM

I've never used the exo terras, but I can say that i my experience, taller is better than longer. By the time you get your false bottom (or leca, or gravel or whatever), the soil, plants and different levels you're at the very top of the tank and there's little room left for frogs. Tall tanks give you more space to work with.

As far as good beginner frogs, auratus are good, but they can be kinda shy. I'm a big fan of luecs. They're beautiful, fairly cheap, very active, bold, hardy, do very well in groups, basically all the things you'd want in a dart frog! Good luck!!

http://susiejoy.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Leucs, 2frogs in a 20gal, 3-4 in a 30gal, 4-6 in a 40-50gal
Auraturs, 2 frogs in a 20gal, 3-4 in a 20-40gal ect...
Tincs, also do best in pairs, 2 frogs in a 20gal ( i had my pair in a 40gal)
Azureus, do best in pairs, 2frogs in a 20gal ( i have my pair in a 40gal)

all good beginner frogs. The luecs may climb a little more than the other frogs listed, BUT ALL need as much FLOOR space as you can give them.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 AM

Thank you guys for all the help, I really appreciate it. One more question though. I was wondering if I am to get a 20 or 30 gallon tank what hood or such should I get with the tank, as I don't think a screen cover would work very well as from what I have heard it would let to much ventilation in and too many fruitflies out.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 AM

I use an all glass lid.

Check out some of the threads in the parts and construction forums. Should help you out a lot w/ lighting and viv construction.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Mod

well... aaron just beat me to it, but heres what i was gonna say anyway:

you can just use one of the normal glass aquarium tops... from AGA or Aqueon or whatever the heck they are called now. They work well because they come with the hinge and all that jazz, you just might have to seal the back plastic thing up cause they can be kinda flimsy.

If you are a "DIY" kinda person then i recommend taking a look at some of the other tops people have built in the parts and construction section... some people have had some pretty awesome ideas/methods.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 PM

12X12X18 exo terras are fine for a single or pair of thumbs.....but i guess bigger is better....I am, however, going with the 12X12X18's.

1.0.0 Theloderma corticale
1.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas