Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Member's Frogs & Vivariums (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/)
-   -   My Mixed Tank Vlog. (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/269737-my-mixed-tank-vlog.html)

JonRich 02-05-2016 02:23 PM

My Mixed Tank Vlog.

Hey All,

I mentioned that i had a mixed tank in a recent build thread and it stirred up some controversy. I figured i'd do a vlog documenting the progression of the tank and the behavior between the frogs.

Clifnotes:
*Its a 40g breeder , built horizontally.
*The tank has been up and running for a little over 3 years.
*The tank is planted fairly well (with 5 neoregelia broms that hold water really well).
*It has dripwall, and pond water feature.
*Lighting is a quad t5HO with four 6700k bulbs.
*All glass lid with three 3" vent holes added, covered in screen.
*2 feeding stations.
*75% of the floorspace is usable.
*All frogs are adult/adult size.
*All frogs supplemented with Rapashy Cal Plus and TincManHerp's cretinoid dust supplement.

This tank houses 0.0.2 Auratus "SuperBlue". No eggs or calling, but they are both about 9-10 months out of water. A 1.1.1 group of Varadero was added about 3-4 months ago. This was meant to be a temp tank for them while their permanent home was under construction. After 2 weeks there were at least 2 clutches of eggs and then transporting tads. I can see about 8-9 tads in broms. The main reason i left them was because they were breeding well and i didn't want to disrupt the tank , or leave tads stranded. They will now remain in this tank with the auratus.

I'll be posing videos of behavior and interactions between the frogs.

This is not meant to encourage anyone to mix their tanks. I'm just showing how this particular situation works for me .It may not work out later on down the road. If it takes a turn for the worst , i'll openly admit my wrongdoing.

You are welcome to comment with your questions and concerns, i just ask that you are respectful .

Anyway.. here are the first 2 videos.

Part 1: Shows how the tank is 90% of the time, all frogs are usually out and about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMmOtLo0cA

Part 2:Shows a slight disturbance twice a week for feeding, hand-misting and a quick clean of the front glass, if needed. Only one of the Varadero actively takes cover, all other frogs are very bold. Maybe i got lucky with this group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSu6ucaNm4

Enjoy. Sorry for the poor quality video. Was filmed with my iphone 5s. I'll have some better quality soon when i get my DSLR back from my brother.

FrogTim 02-05-2016 03:01 PM

Re: My Mixed Tank Vlog.

I like how you hid the substrate and background with the natural looking pattern. A nice alternative to the standard black contact paper or leaving the substrate and false bottom visible.

I love nepenthes (the pitcher plant) and it looks like you have a ventricosa x alata hybrid. Just a warning, when these things get growing they grow quickly and get big and bushy. I got one a little smaller than yours from Home Depot and within a year it was a 3ft round bush. They will outgrow and block the light in vivariums and while they can be cut back, they tend to drop their pitchers when you do this.

My nepenthes now live next to the vivariums and are a conversation piece of their own. I use Cape Sundews planted in film canisters for fungus gnat control inside the tanks.

Thanks for posting and keep us updated on how the frogs interact with each other.

eos 02-05-2016 07:01 PM

Where's the chinchilla sleep? Does it have its own cave or what? Lol. I love that tank. Put me down for some varadero babies.

tardis101 02-05-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogTim (Post 2591929)
I like how you hid the substrate and background with the natural looking pattern. A nice alternative to the standard black contact paper or leaving the substrate and false bottom visible.

I agree. I like it.

JonRich 02-05-2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eos (Post 2592153)
Where's the chinchilla sleep? Does it have its own cave or what? Lol. I love that tank. Put me down for some varadero babies.

lol, thanks. The chinchillas have been rehomed. 2 of the babies went to the Staten Island Zoo. I'll let you know, nothing out of water yet.

JonRich 02-05-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tardis101 (Post 2592169)
I agree. I like it.

Thanks..:)

JonRich 02-05-2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogTim (Post 2591929)

I love nepenthes (the pitcher plant) and it looks like you have a ventricosa x alata hybrid. Just a warning, when these things get growing they grow quickly and get big and bushy. I got one a little smaller than yours from Home Depot and within a year it was a 3ft round bush. They will outgrow and block the light in vivariums and while they can be cut back, they tend to drop their pitchers when you do this.

My nepenthes now live next to the vivariums and are a conversation piece of their own. I use Cape Sundews planted in film canisters for fungus gnat control inside the tanks.

Thanks for posting and keep us updated on how the frogs interact with each other.

Thanks for the tips on the pitcher. We have monthly frogger meets here in NYC and i usually trim tanks prior to meets and give away cuttings. So i dont mind it growing out. I like them . The cover was some extra craft material i had from a project at work. I got it from scrapbook.com. They have a few options, this one was "bark".

JonRich 02-08-2016 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some trimming today to control the ficus pumilia and get a better view of the bromeliads . Took a panoramic shot of the tank top down . This might give a little better view of the layout .

JonRich 02-08-2016 07:51 PM

Part 3: Some trimming and Varadero calling. Both Auratus were near the feeding station feeding on maggots and could care less about the commotion above .
http://youtu.be/RymyuSOiO3o

FrogTim 02-09-2016 01:25 AM

I wish my auratus were that bold. Have they been that way their entire lives?

JonRich 02-09-2016 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogTim (Post 2594081)
I wish my auratus were that bold. Have they been that way their entire lives?

I have a tank at work, I can't feed fruitflies there because it's in a micro kitchen. So I rotate out frogs in the tank one week per month . These guys were on the schedule . They have always been used to human activity and as a result have been very bold . I think it helps having the feeding station at the front of the tank . The urge to eat overpowered the fear . Over time they get numb to the passerby because there is no physical threat . Now they just don't care and just carry about with their business. All my frogs are like this . (Well all but my benedicta. ) .

JonRich 02-10-2016 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dinner time ...

JonRich 02-10-2016 03:08 AM

Short time lapse of typical activity around the feeding station. I'm going to pull the feeding station soon, they are putting on fat and being less active . They need motivation to forage .
http://youtu.be/W6dd6qd2c5M

JonRich 02-26-2016 12:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7aXVjKRMw

Last night i was up pretty late building a tank for a friend . I noticed that the frogs in the Mixed Tank were starting to make their way to their usually sleeping spots . The 1.1 Varadero pair always sleep in this one Neoregelia "Dark Star" bromeliad . The Auratus (I might have said Azureus in the video. It's been a long week , please excuse me ). But yea , the Auratus usually sleep in the leaf litter. I actually don't know where they sleep really, but it's not in the bromeliads .

I also covered my feeding station in the tank and why I think it's important to have one or more in a tank . In my experience it not only makes your frogs bold, but it acts as a timed-release feeding source for the times when I'm away from home for a few days . I usually set up a new one a week or so prior to leaving and feed heavy with flies . They will eat, then get full. The uneaten flies will lay eggs on whatever is in the feeding station. It can be any fruit you have in your house, or some fruit fly media. The eggs then hatch out and maggots are present . The maggots that they don't eat , then pupate and hatch as flies . All of which are a welcomed treat . Granted they won't be supplemented with anything via a dusting, but your frogs won't starve while you're away. It also helps keep the flies in the tank and not in my wife's glass wine while she relaxes and watches she shows. This can end a relationship, don't be that guy/girl. :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy and as usual comments and questions welcomed.

~Jon

JonRich 02-28-2016 03:20 PM

Based on the tad that I did pull, which now has 3 legs out . I assume those left in the tank would be emerging as froglets soon. I seeded the tank pretty heavy with springtails/Isopods last week. In an attempt to avoid the adults wiping out the micro fauna, I fed flies pretty heavy and added about 2" of fresh leaf litter. The leaf litter will also serve as cover for the froglets.

One observation I've noticed since the additation of heavy leaf litter is that the Varadero have become flighty and skittish. Almost everytime I pass by the tank they dart under the leaf litter in an attempt to escape ( this was never the case before). They also now spend 90% of their time on the ground. I rarely see them off the ground except in the evenings when they head up to their bromeliad for the night . I'll try to get a video of this, might be worth setting up my GoPro on timelapse for a few hours . It's in my race car. I'll get it next weekend , so this time next week I'll have footage.

No change in behavior with the Auratus (they still give zero forks).

JonRich 03-01-2016 01:04 PM

Quick video of the male Varadero calling in slow-motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ouBv0nx0ik

Slight update. I pulled the unsexed Varadero and it went into a 10g tank at my job. It started calling the same day. So it's a male. I think i'll keep him in this tank for a bit. He wasn't really a factor in the mixed tank. Just kinda did his own thing. Probably intimidated by the dominant male.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inok_sXO_g0

Mork 05-14-2016 05:03 AM

I'm interested in how this tank is coming along. Any news?