Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Viv Construction - 100gal Almost done!

Hi guys,

as promised, here are some of the pics of the tank. I'm still not too happy with the plants, They seem sparse! But I really liked the way it looks...just looks a bit too much like black jungle though...at least in tank design...hope you like them.

Viv tank full shot:

Some ferns and some epiphytic vines:

Half inch gap on the front for more ventilation...hope this isn't too big!

Tillandsia Ionantha that just bloomed atop dried vines:

Some moss that I really love but don't know what they are:

Also, I don't know what it's called but it looks nice to me:

I still haven't decided on the tank bottom though...and I'm still trying to decide how I should handle it.

Hope you like it...any inputs would be appreciated!

regards,

bluetip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 04:05 PM

Finally, I think this will work. Uploaded the images to the gallery:

Viv tank full shot:

Some ferns and some epiphytic vines:

Half inch gap on the front for more ventilation...hope this isn't too big!

Tillandsia Ionantha that just bloomed atop dried vines:

Some moss that I really love but don't know what they are:

Also, I don't know what it's called but it looks nice to me:

I still haven't decided on the tank bottom though...and I'm still trying to decide how I should handle it.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 PM
TWI/ASN

Very Nice!! :P

Where did you find the moss covered log in the last pic?

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY

Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM

As you may have suspected, If you want to keep frogs in there, the gap must go. Maybee you could pop a piece of trim in there or something, or maybee glue some screen over it.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:05 PM

Thanks Jason,

Living where I do, I get to find a little bit of everything. That log is actually 3 pieces of plant life all glued, tied and stuck into one...

Quote:
Jason Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:21 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Nice!!

Where did you find the moss covered log in the last pic?
Hi Dancing_frog,

I don't know if it matters, but the gap is 1/4" not 1/2" as I previously stated. Can these frogs actually get out through this small slit?

Quote:
Dancing frogs Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:26 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may have suspected, If you want to keep frogs in there, the gap must go. Maybee you could pop a piece of trim in there or something, or maybee glue some screen over it.
thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetip
I don't know if it matters, but the gap is 1/4" not 1/2" as I previously stated. Can these frogs actually get out through this small slit?
I don't know about the frogs, but the flies certainly will get out of there in a hurry.

Bry
Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 PM

1/4" is still pretty big, I wouldn't risk it. I don't think a full grown terribilis or something like that could get out, I think for most of the non thumbnails, 1/8" is about as much of a gap I would allow, remember, these guys are slippery! If you're thinking of thumbnails at all, I've heard someone say, if a fruitfly can fit through the gap chances are one of you're frogs will too, that's what I keep in mind with most of my tanks.
Just my $0.02
Old 10-27-2004, 12:45 PM

I will definitely give it more thought and study how I will be able to cover the gap. I might put a strip of silicon on it to cover it fit then...Funny, I really remembered that during construction, I purposely placed that gap for ventilation purposes, now I'm going to end up covering it any way... :roll:

Quote:
Dancing frogs Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:21 am Post subject:

1/4" is still pretty big, I wouldn't risk it. I don't think a full grown terribilis or something like that could get out, I think for most of the non thumbnails, 1/8" is about as much of a gap I would allow, remember, these guys are slippery! If you're thinking of thumbnails at all, I've heard someone say, if a fruitfly can fit through the gap chances are one of you're frogs will too, that's what I keep in mind with most of my tanks.
Just my $0.02
Old 10-27-2004, 01:43 PM

You could use silicone and glue a strip of screen over it. I've done this for ventilation on a tank and it has held up really well. Looks kind of funky, but works.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:48 PM

Would you put the screen on the inside of the viv or on the outside? I'm thinking if it's in the outside, the frogs can push it open, if it's on the inside..frogs might squeeze through the sreen..if you notice on the picture, there is nothing to hold the bottom side of the screen.

Quote:
Dancing frogs Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:43 pm Post subject:

You could use silicone and glue a strip of screen over it. I've done this for ventilation on a tank and it has held up really well. Looks kind of funky, but works.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Bluetip-

If you get larger frog then you won't have to worry about it. Get some tincs in there. I'd be more worried about what would get in there....especially in the Philippines. My girlfriend was telling me that they have huge roaches on the floor and they are everywhere. She lived just outside of Manila. The weather there might be ok for an outdoor enclosure...lol.

Justin
Old 10-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Justin wrote:

Quote:
Bluetip-

If you get larger frog then you won't have to worry about it. Get some tincs in there.

Justin
I have my eyes set on some blue dart frogs or leucs.

Quote:
I'd be more worried about what would get in there....especially in the Philippines.
You got a point!

Quote:
My girlfriend was telling me that they have huge roaches on the floor and they are everywhere. She lived just outside of Manila. The weather there might be ok for an outdoor enclosure...lol.
Well, that's what you get for living in a 3rd world country! Is she still in the Philippines? Damn, maybe you can slip in a couple of frogs for me! I've been rackin' my head how I can get my hands on some! frogs! :idea: :lol:

Well the beauty about being here is that it is a tropical country so I don't have to worry as much about extreme temps and low humidity

regards,

bluetip
Old 10-27-2004, 04:25 PM

My girlfriend no longer lives there. She was actually born there and lived there half of her life. I might be going there December 2005, which doesn't help you really. I never really thought about how difficult it would be to get frogs there- can't ship them, it would take too long. Flights there take at least a minimum of 18 hours to arrive. I hope you find your frogs- I would go with the azureus... more bold, larger, and beautifull (leucs are too!). Then again, you might have to take whatever you can get.

Good luck!

Justin
Old 10-27-2004, 04:36 PM

Dec 2005 is a year away! If I still don't have my frogs by then, I will offer you an indecent proposal of money down & no live guarantee! :lol: :lol:

bluetip
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 AM

Just a couple of updated pics after having the plants grow out for 2 weeks then other new ones that were added.

thanks

bluetip
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 AM

GREAT VIV! What is that in the top left, front of the viv?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:44 AM

Hi ryan,

sorry, i actually don't know most of whats on my tank. We have a pretty different name for the plants here..mostly localized common names!

thanks

Bluetip
Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 PM

the "stuff" you are talking about are lycopodiums, epiphytic ones at that. There are some new world representatives but a little harder to find. Very cool plants. What kind of light are you using? Ben
Old 11-10-2004, 04:39 AM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the identification! Actually there's another species of that just right behind it. I'll try to capture some plant pics and post them on the plant section when I get the time.

I am using 2 65w compact fluorescent lights (36inx18x30in). I'm not sure if it is enought for my tank size but the plants seem to be doing ok...I haven't seen plants dying off due to lack of light. The moss on the bottom of the tank actually kinda revived. Compared to my first photos and today, they seem to be a lot greener.

thanks

bluetip