Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 AM

Default first pics of my 150 gallon tank, tell me what you think

Here are the first pics of my 150 gallon tank. It is 48 inches long by 31 inches tall, and 24 inches wide. Big enough that when its on its stand, I can barely reach the bottom (and I'm 6'5"!). There is a river running down the background beside the log, then accross the length of the tank into a little pond. The tank is so big, the only place to put it was in the center of the house, between the kitchen and living room. SO, I had to make is visible from 3 sides. I think it will fill in nicely. The leucs (2 females) roam everywhere, but LOVE the stump in the middle. They slept all over the tank at first introduction, but now they've concluded that the best spot for both is on top of the stump in a hole in the moss.

I hope to add another 10 or so leucs and let them proliferate to their hearts content. With these two females, I can play a recording of a male leuc calling, and they both hop around obviously looking for "him".

Let me know what you think of it please.

Oh, and I had to include a pic of my other hobby too. Hope theres some more adrenaline junkies out there too! :twisted:

:!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 AM

Very nice looking tank. How about some info on how you set it up. Ex. background, substrate, plants. Again, very nice tank.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:16 AM

Yeah, more info. Lighting, etc. Look great!

Old 10-17-2004, 01:19 AM

Default little bit of everything.

tank is first coated in dark silicone to cover great stuff. Then, I put 2" pvc spacers about 4 inches long accross the bottom. Then eggcrate material to support the soil and logs.

I made the watercourses from great stuff, and then carved with a steak knife to the shape I wanted. Then I coated all exposed great stuff with silicone, and then mash peat moss into it before it dries. Test and test again with water.

It took me forever to build the filter, which is a compartment carved with great stuff with an aquarium filter cartridge fitted to provide mechanical filtration. The little pond has an overflow grate hidden on the right that goes straight to the filter.

Then set the oak logs and stump in there and positioned it. then added fiberglass screen to cover the eggcrate to hold the soil. Then I added some BEAUTIFUL soil that I had that was fully organic (like really old mulch, this stuff is JUST barely soil is has so recently composted)

Then started adding plants and moss. I waited about 2 weeks to add frogs. They just hopped around and looked happy. I suppose they are!

Thats the short version. This took me about a month. thanks for the compliment by the way.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:21 AM

Default lights?

in the future I will have 6 overdriven 48" flourescent plant bulbs. now I have 2 overdriven bulbs and two other dinky 48" flourescents.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 AM

Matt,

Nice! I'm a big fan of big tanks and a big display, also. I'd love to see some more pictures.

Tim
Old 10-17-2004, 01:57 AM

Overdriven bulbs? Yes more pics.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:02 AM

I guess you could call me an adrenaline junky too. In addition to my vivariums, I have a '95 Duc SS900 street bike and an '88 Honda Hawk GT track bike. Attached is a pic of me from my last trackday.

Very nice vivarium. It took me a while to build mine too.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:38 AM

*stares at the bikes* Ummm... yeah.... tank.... nice.

Bike fetish BAD :twisted:
Old 10-17-2004, 05:50 AM

VERRY nice tank! And of course bikes to!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:34 AM

Nice looking tank. There should be more laterally aligned tanks out there IMHO. What are the dimentions on it?

Oh, and about the bikes... I was driving to work last week when I hit a snarl on the main freeway that goes around the east side of Lake Washington. When I finally got up to it, they were pretty much done cleaning it up. All that remaind was a loose car wheel and the back half of a motorcycle. Yes, HALF. All that was left was the engine block, seat, and rear wheel. The bike was too messed up to even figure out what type of bike it was. Considering the condition of the bike and that the speed limit on the freeway is 60MPH (and people frequently do 70-80), the rider probably left in a body bag. Gotta stay safe on the road out there, guys. That's the main thing that keeps me from riding a motorcycle. Drivers in cars can't (or won't) see you, and you have to watch everyone and everything around you constantly, or else you'll end up as hamburger.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:04 AM

Nice pictures.... is that a Hayabusa?? I LOVE sport bike... GSXR750 <- my dream bike.

Won't be driving one soon though
Old 10-17-2004, 01:17 PM

Default nope

I know you have to be safe. You have to ride as if everyone was trying to get you, even though you know they're not. A simple bump on the highway from a car can send you farther than you'd ever want to go on asphalt. Fortunately, when you are on a bike, your senses are tuned to the max and you feel like cars are moving in slow motion. Just use your brain and you'll live longer. I work at one of the largest motorcycle dealerships in Western NC and we only see 1 or 2 fatalities a year from motorcycles, which is much better than I thought it would be when I started.

Steelcube, it's not a hayabusa. It is a tl1000r, a discontinued bike with a small but loyal following. A hayabusa has about 165 horsies but about 65 lbs of torque, mine has 145ish horsies and about 110 lbs of torque. This is due to the busa having a 4 banger engine and mine has a v-twin, which revs slower, but pruduces much more torque. Torque is what gives the front wheel takeoff clearance on a regular basis. The busa will do that too, just not like a twin. The busa is faster in the quarter mile, but to me the TL is much more fun to ride, being rarer, has more torque, and wheelies like there's no tomorrow :twisted: . I do not recommend it but for a closed course, but I've been to 155 on it, which is faster than all reason, but it was still pulling hard to its 186 top end.

I love my bike, but then I roll it into the garage, come inside and say hello to my children and wife and then we all stare at frog tanks intermittently all afternoon. I have a blessed life.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:26 PM

Matt, do you do many track days on the tiller? I've always liked the TLS, being an SV650 fan, but I think the tlr is still pretty cool. Heh, I love passing the slow guys on the track that are riding big heavy bikes like TLR's :twisted:

FWIW, I got hit by a car making a left turn in front of me last year on my old SV650, so I know first hand how stupid some cagers (motorcyclist's word for car drivers) can be. There are many ways that motorcyclists can ride safer but it would also be nice if cagers would learn to share the road with motorcyclists.

I wish you took some pics of your tank in the construction stage, it sounds like you went all out.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:12 AM

I'm just curious and if you don't mind me askin, how much did the tank+lighting run. I know great stuff is like 5 a bottle and pumps are about 10. I really want to set up a HUGE tank in my room, even if there're no frogs in it.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Nice tank, i really want to get a take that size...
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 AM

Default thanks.

Thanks for your compliments. Its is my pride and joy and I think it will only look better the more it fills in with plants.

The tanks price would be too much for me under any other circumstances, but I got it brand new secondhand from a widow whose husband purchased it for a reef tank and died before he did anything with it. The tank cost $800 new and the stand is custom made. The lady said he paid $400 for the cabinet to be made for it. I paid $300 bucks for the tank, a light or two, and stand. The lighting, unfortunately right now, is peices of other lights I had laying around plus the large ballasts to overdrive were $35 a piece. Finished, the lighting system will probably cost $250 including the wood and ballasts. Maybe more if I need cooling fans.

8)

I appreciate your comments. I have some other tanks with waterfalls and rivers in them that have been running for about 6 months and they only seem to be doing great. I have to pour water every stinkin day though! I have no water source in my animal room, so I just end up carrying water in a five gallon bucket twice a day or so. Its fun though.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM

Wow what a deal! I can't imagine paying 800 for a couple pieces of really strong glass... It's a really nice tank, but I was wondering why you have to keep pouring water in the tanks? Is it because too much evaporates?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcumagic
I appreciate your comments. I have some other tanks with waterfalls and rivers in them that have been running for about 6 months and they only seem to be doing great. I have to pour water every stinkin day though! I have no water source in my animal room, so I just end up carrying water in a five gallon bucket twice a day or so. Its fun though.
yeah, i was surprised how much water evaporates from my tank each day. i have to top it off a bit each night to make sure the pump keeps going and doesn't run low. i put a little mark with a sharpie, in an obscure place on the glass, to mark where i want it to be filled to, and just amke sure it's about at that level each evening. :-)

awesome tank, btw.