Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Fish in terrariums?

I know fish are looked down upon when placed in a PDF tank if it is small, but why?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 AM

from what i have read its because PDF arent swimmers and if they fall into the water and cant get out they are likely to drown. i know a few people in here *PATTY has a few tanks setup with fish in them. i think as long as you have enough ways for the to escape if they fall in it should be ok for them.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM

I think he was referring to why fish are looked down upon not water features.

If there are plenty of gradual sloping areas leading to and from the water what kind of fish would you advise?

2:0:2 Ranitomeya ventrimaculata "Iquitos"
1:1:0 Black Polymnus Saddleback Clowns
0:1:0 Haitian Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse

Old 12-16-2007, 09:45 AM

not having and experience in this i cant really tell you want fish would be good. sry maybe some tetras or guppies if its a small tank.

and to the no water feature thing i said that becuase if you are gonna have fish then you have to have a deap enough body of water in there for the fish to swim no just a regular water feature were its barly a puddle.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 PM

I think one of the reasons is because PDFs naturally look for areas with no fish to deposit tadpoles. They will NOT put tadpoles in water with fish in it. And I think that's the main reason people put ponds in their tanks, for tadpole deposition.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 AM

I wouldn't put any fish in a water feature unless it was over 10 gallons. Some good ones to try are fancy guppies, bettas, danios, white cloud minnows, certain paradise fish, khuli loaches, otocinclus (can be delicate, need good water conditions), and some small tetras.

I wouldn't advise plecostamus, goldfish, bigger tetras, gouramis, swordtails, or larger fish that need more space, or would eat downed froggies :cry:
Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 PM

As both a fish and a frog keeper this question bugs me a bit when it comes up, so I apologize if I seem snippy.

Fish are living things too and you need to do just as much work into giving them a good home as the frogs! This seems to be forgotten as fish are turned into pond decor in the frog tanks, and keepers fail to research the fish as much as they are researching the frogs... combining them togeher creates complications giving the frogs what they need, and the fish what they need... you basically need to be exeperienced with both to pull it off. It's like mixing frog species... sure you could do it, but for real success you really need lots of experience with the species involved (to even figure out which species would go together!) but with fish rather than another frog species... you're combining terrestrial and aquatic :shock: That's a lot to know to be able to pull it off.

You can't pull off what is needed for both in small tanks, and most PDFs have evolved to take advantage of water sources away from fish which act as both competition and predators to tads. The fish and the frogs both are better with the biggest tanks you can give them, and by trying to combine them you're limiting what you can do with either, and creating more complications for both too (having to deal with the runoff of nutrients from the land going into the water, and frogs that aren't built to deal with running/deep water). With both frogs and fish, the bigger the tank the more stable the environment... which is particularly important with the fish. For example with a 100 gallon paludarium, the reality of the fish situation is you may only actually have 20-30 gallons of "aquarium" (and not all of that is open water which is really important as well as water surface area)... which in the world of aquariums, is actually rather small and has a lot of flux in conditions, made more complicated by the fact that it will also act as a drain for the water from the terrestrial part of the tank. ERK.

If you can get a huge tank... and still want to try it... read up and researt your PDFs and dealing with their water features (there are ways to do this and minimize PDF deaths and even have them breed) and definately do some research on fish keeping. I feel I can give my fish and my frogs better quality of life by keeping them seperate.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 PM

OK, thank you. Just wanted peoples advice and was hoping you (KeroKero) would chime in. I do understand about mixing species, and have worked wiht fish in the past, and present. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Hey if you get a big enough tank I'd be more than happy to talk to you about how I'd do a paludarium lol, but I'd prefer to have 40+ gallons to work with to really make the water part worth it (the bigger the better), then figuring out the land... that usually means a deep tank... nothing like a shallow (front to back) tank like a 55g
Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 AM

I have fish in mine. I know that this is going to sound stupid, but you have to know what frogs can handle being in the water. Some are alright, but others if you don't have a numerous number of ways for them to get out they are toast. My auratus love the water, but I made sure they had many ways of getting outof the water. They would dive and hide when I was in the tank looking for eggs and what not. 8)

Some fish I use are like danios and fancy guppies. They normally leave tads along (from the research I have done). They are hardy fish, as long as you have a good filtration system. I agree with KeroKero. You have to do some research and know what environments that both can withstand or be compitable (Sp?) with each other. If you don't do this your frogs or fish can ultimately die. What a bad day that would be!

As soon as I am done with my 55gal paludarium, you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 AM

I plan on keeping fish with my frogs. Not sure if i'm housing PDF's in my paludarium, or something else but, still. From what I've read, It'll be fine.