Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM

Default a few of my recent pictures

here are a few pics that i took last week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 PM

Did you ever get a good ID on those frogs you got at the Columbus show?

-Tad
Old 10-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Nice pics!

Old 10-12-2004, 02:18 PM

tad- the second pic is an azureus, the third mike, from rainforest junkies, said was an azureus, and he said that the fourth is a new river tinc. if anybody has any other suggestions on the third and fourth picture, i would apreciate it, but i think mike is probably right.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 PM

I agree. 3rd is definitely an azureus. They've got that boxlike hunch on their back. It's kind of hard to tell from the angle on the 4th pic, but the frog in it appears to lack the hunch.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:35 PM

I would also agree. The 3rd pic is an azureus and the 4th a New River tinc. The reticulation on the 4th one is consistent with the patterning on New Rivers while the 3rd pic has the fine spots like you see on azureus. As the frogs age, you will begin to notice more and more differences in body size and shape, but that is a very nicely colored New River, and will make a beautiful adult.

By the way, all of your pics are great. I really like the auratus bedded down in the brom!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Quote:
By the way, all of your pics are great. I really like the auratus bedded down in the brom!
thanks

Quote:
It's kind of hard to tell from the angle on the 4th pic, but the frog in it appears to lack the hunch.
i can post a different picture if you think that there is a possibility of it being an azureus based on the hunch.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM

I don't think the hunch as described is a telling characteristic. Yes, Arklier is right that tincs and azureus have a definitive difference between the way their backs look when you look at a side profile, but they both have a hump--it's just farther back on the standard tincs when compared to azureus.

If Mike said its a New River, I wouldn't doubt him. Plus, I would have dead cold called number 4 a New River based upon the pattern and body shape. I'll try to get some good pics of my azureus and New Rivers to show you the difference. When full grown, your New Rivers will be decidedly bigger than your azureus. My largest male New River is about as big or larger than my female azureus.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:37 AM

do you have a breeding pair of new rivers, cause if you do i would be interested in buying one eventually
Old 10-13-2004, 01:06 AM

I have one female and 3 males, and they just started throwing eggs about a month ago.

edit: well, they probably started before then, as I saw a lot of breeding beahvior, but couldn't find the eggs. Then, I caught a male jump out from under the waterfall with an egg stuck to him. :shock:
Old 10-13-2004, 01:35 AM

where in indiana are you, my family is going to be moving to indianapolis within the next year, and if you plan on selling froglets, i would be interested at a later date.