Dendroboard banner

New Frogs, New Owner

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  teletoad 
#1 ·
So i just finished my setup and introduced my frogs today. Would really appreciate ant beginners advice. I know that i need more plant and that's what ill be working on over the next couple of days as well. Enjoy the pictures!

Sorry about the bad quality

See less See more
#2 ·
More hides? I have those same frogs I think. Auratus? I also have that red plant on the right side. I noticed my guys are out and about more once I put a bunch of places for them to hide in. Looks cool though.

#3 ·
Yeah, you've got a lot of nice stuff in there, but they definitely need some more places to chill out. Just remember when you're adding stuff to make sure it's clean since you're putting into in a working habitat now.

What kind of top do you have on that?

#6 ·
Looks good. You do need leaf litter though...ASAP...its extremely important for frogs health. Do you have microfauna in there?
The top also does not need to be air tight, your frogs can thrive at humidities even in the 60's.
What suppliments do you use to dust the flies?

#7 ·
im getting leaf litter tomorrow, what do you suggest for micro-fauna? It is really thick plexi do you think it will still warp? I also left a gap near the front of the tank so it doesn't fog up as much. I have rep cal and vitamins, and fed them a bunch of flies today

#9 ·
It looks way to wet in there. Your substrate needs to be up higher off the false bottom. Do you have a substrate barrier?
Common choices for microfauna are springtails and isopods.
As it is right now there is not much point putting the microfauna in. As wet as it is there is a good chance they won't thrive.
Yes plexiglass will still warp. The thicker it is the longer it MAY take but it will happen.
When you say you have a gap near the front you mean you have a screen vent section of you just have an open gap.
You really don't need the water feature. They are always more trouble than they are worth. The harbor bacteria unless maintained properly, and the frogs could really care less.
As already said you need more leaf litter and hides.

#8 ·
Most people agree that the plexi will warp eventually. how long that takes depends. As far as Microfauna you could get some springtails and/or some pill bugs(rollie pollies) They help keep the tank clean and break down waste.

#12 ·
If you have a shoe box i would pull the frogs for awhile. Open the top and let it dry out a lot. Lower your water level also. With it being so high you are wicking it up into your substrate. Once it dries out you should add more plants. That's nice wood and some broms mounted to them would look good. Some nice begonia would look good in there also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.