D. tinctorius "Patricia"

Now for some egg pics:

D. leucomelas (just laid).

D. tinctorius eggs developing.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 03:29 AM

Great shots!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:33 AM

Cool Pics! Good looking froglets. I love watching the tadpoles form, it's too cool :shock: .
:?: though, doesn't the risk go up of the eggs going bad or molding with all that dirt and debris around them? I always was told to clean off the dish/lid what ever as best as I could from the debris without disturbing the egg mass. I even go as far as to change the lid in their breeding hut every night and put a clean one in to make sure it's not too grungy when they lay their eggs. I guess mother nature isn't quite the neat freak I am and they survive at any rate. But don't they have a their natural toxins the wild that they don't in captivity to ward off fungal attack among other naturally occuring biproducts like tannins in the soil/leaf litter, or am I totally off base?

Damn I wish I could find my patch cord for my digital camera I have so many pictures I would love to show everyone in here of my frogs and terrariums.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:49 AM

Thanks a lot . Its hard to get good shots with my older digital camera, as it doesn't have the best zoom feature.

As for the dirty perti dishes... First off, I knew someone would say something lol. I use to be real anal about cleaning them, but don't bother with it as much anymore. I will wait for eggs to develop (like in the second egg picture), then cut out bad eggs and remove some of the mess on the dish. I don't know enough about their toxins in the wild, but have heard the same thing you have stated. I do use a tad tea in the dishes, which has tannins in it... so I am sure that helps somewhat. I wouldn't think dirt would be that big of a problem, but I could be wrong. If I get more things settled at my apartment I may start to keep the dishes cleaner again. I also don't want to baby everything though... as I don't think all the eggs would make it in the wild, right?
Old 09-25-2004, 04:39 AM

Please don't think I was saying something to get on your case because I wasn't. I'm still on the learning curve myself and have been for 28 years :wink:

And you're talking the the girl who's REALLY anal about her animals (please no puns :roll: I already came up with several) I am known to spend 3-4 hours a night after working 10 each day just cleaning terrariums and feeding my zoo (that's not counting the ones WITH fur) and putzing around fixing this and adjusting in their little homes and yet can spend 3 weeks at a time pulling clean clothes out of the laundry basket to wear because I'm too "busy" to fold them and put them away.

I would like to see as many of the eggs make it as possible even if it's more work for me (I never even saw it as work in the first place). I feel bad when I lose a tadpole because my tincs (and the rest of my animals) are so fascinanting and beautiful to me and my children. I am planning on letting my daughter's 3rd grade class raise one or two of the tadpoles this year because she's become so engrossed by the whole senerio of the courting, mating, egg laying, tadpole thing that she can't shut up about it to her class. I think it's really cool and a really great way to get my kids involved.

Sorry ops: got off on a motherly instinct rant....
Damn where's that patch cord for the camera.... :?

Anyways, you have beautiful little froglets, I love the Patricias, they are next on my list of gotta have!! Let me know if you want to trade them for some Surinam colbalts when mine morph out, I've got lots of em.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:17 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was offended... as I didn't think you were knocking me or getting on my case. I just knew someone would say something, as I even thought it when I was looking at the pics lol. Also, I don't think anyone out there still doesn't have something to learn about darts.

I do like getting as many eggs to froglets as possible, but I just don't have the time to really do it right now. So when I get more time I will probably clean off the dishes better, or put leaves in the dishes so they lay on them instead (more tannnins). However, I still think in general we do baby our frogs a whole lot (includes myself)... but its only cause we love them lol.