• 1 Post By Sammie
  • 2 Post By epiphytes etc.
  • 1 Post By Dawna
  • 2 Post By Dart_Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Default 20G Commission Viv

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share a build I have been working on the last month for a co-worker who wanted a tank for his living room. He says its for his 2 daughters but he secretly wants it for himself! ....He will figure out soon that frogs and vivariums are really cool and nothing to blame on your children!

20g high tank with a waterfall and pond up front. Two land sections and extensive carving and hardscaping. About a dozen various plants, 2 homemade vines, a few cork hides, and a homemade waterfall. Pump is behind an eggcrate wall in the center where the waterfall is.

Soon to be home to 2 Cobalts.

Tank is only a few days old so not grown in yet.

Let me know what you think!

Whole tank shot

From the left side

From the right side

Water Section

Top angel

And a few build shots

Finished Hardscaping

Starting to fill in the substrate layers

I will add more pictures when its grown in more. Should be delivering this to his house in 2 weeks with the frogs.

Hope everyone likes it!

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks
mossbear and Dartgirl like this.

Leucs, Azureus, Amazonicus, Cristobal, Bastis, El Dorado, Galacts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: 20G Commission Viv

I would yank the wandering jew. That plant is evil. I used it in a growout and by the time the frogs were ready for their full size viv I threw away nearly 10g of the crap. I think it would destroy the beauty of it.
Dart_Man and L8apex like this.

Midwest Amphibians page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/702107233244402/
Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_Man View Post
Your co-worker is lucky. Nice build!

What is the plant in the left front corner of the tank that has the long leaves with the pink edges?
Dart_Man likes this.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldross View Post
I would yank the wandering jew. That plant is evil. I used it in a growout and by the time the frogs were ready for their full size viv I threw away nearly 10g of the crap. I think it would destroy the beauty of it.

Thanks for the advice! I already spoke to him at length about the jew and fig and that you must keep up with trimming them both so they dont get out of control. Ive worked with both of these many times and know they both grow fairly rapidly but you just need to keep up with trimming. This is going to be his only tank and will be easy to maintain.

Also, his wife made it very clear she wants an extremely colorful tank (cant tell you how many times he said that to me) ! So I was trying to find as many inexpensive colorful plants as possible, and we all know how colorful the jew is. It was a conscious decision and I think it will be fine.

Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirya View Post
Your co-worker is lucky. Nice build!

What is the plant in the left front corner of the tank that has the long leaves with the pink edges?
Thanks Mirya. The pink plant front left is a Cryptanthus bivittatus 'Red Star' I believe. When purchased it wasnt labeled by name but from experience I believe it is the Red Star. It is 100% a cryptanthus and one of my favorite types of plants to put in vivs! Usually costs between 3-6$ each

Thanks again

Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Arron, In all honesty the tank looks very nice but not at all appropriate for a larger terrestrial dart frog. Too much space is lost to the water feature leaving them very little land space. It needs more leaf litter for hiding however that will not help the lack of land space. I would look toward a semi-aquatic frog species for this tank. Robert
Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM

It is a really colorful terrarium like the wife wanted, but from a behavioral standpoint, there is very little contiguous leaf litter area for foraging or even for healthy microfauna sustainability. I always lean more towards behavioral enrichment than aesthetics, but I think there can be room for both if the right frog is used. Just my two cents.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDuck View Post
Arron, In all honesty the tank looks very nice but not at all appropriate for a larger terrestrial dart frog. Too much space is lost to the water feature leaving them very little land space. It needs more leaf litter for hiding however that will not help the lack of land space. I would look toward a semi-aquatic frog species for this tank. Robert
I agree. The tank looks really great, but tincs may not be the best choice for this viv.

The guy getting this tank is gonna love it!

John

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Imis, vanzos, variabilis, fants, leucs, tincs, terribs, pumilio
Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Looks fantastic! He's going to love this. Could you tell me what the plant is on the left behind the cryptanthus and underneath the tillandsia?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy M View Post
Looks fantastic! He's going to love this. Could you tell me what the plant is on the left behind the cryptanthus and underneath the tillandsia?
Are you talking about the reddish plant? I'm interested in that one as well. It kinda looks like a Syngonium species, but I don't know.

John

Imis, vanzos, variabilis, fants, leucs, tincs, terribs, pumilio
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyKnight View Post
Are you talking about the reddish plant? I'm interested in that one as well. It kinda looks like a Syngonium species, but I don't know.

John
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 AM

Very nice viv. Beautifully made. You are a true artist and a great craftsman. Your friend will love it.

I agree with others that the species isn't optimal for this setup. But that's advice, not criticism. Build more vivs and keep the pictures coming.
Dart_Man and yerbamate like this.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyKnight View Post

John
I think the plant you're talking about is the Begonia? It has two flowers ....

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 02-06-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy M View Post
That one is a type of "Rhapis" I believe, or ive been just calling it a 'mini palm'. It was not labeled when I purchased it from my local nursery but Ive used it a few times and does well in tropical climates from my experience. A little taller growing and more lanky, accents the smaller bushy plants nicely.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphytes etc. View Post
I think the plant you're talking about is the Begonia? It has two flowers ....
That one is for sure a begonia, not sure on the exact type. Was a cutting from a friend originally that I now grow in my mini greenhouse. Its got great color and flowers a lot under a good light

Old 02-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Are you sure it's a palm?
It hard to tell from the pictures but it kinda looks like Columnea linearis.
Jeremy M likes this.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:01 PM

In regards to the tank not being optimal for cobalts, I agree to some extent but not to the level I am hearing from a few of you. The land section is larger than the pictures look (pictures can be deceiving) and the left and right side are connected so the frogs can easily walk the full length of the viv, NOT being confined to the left side due to the water feature. The water section itself is actually quite small, with only a 2"Wx4"Lx2"D section that the frogs wont actually use. The rest is built up enough where they can wade into the water slightly or sit on the little banks around the water, or even sit on the waterfall itself. The waterfall has gravel and moss built up on both sides so the frogs can very easily walk across it or stand on the rocks or next to it without any trouble. The background is also carved a ton with a bunch of hides made from cork, film cans, and just a lot of carving. So there is also a ton of depth as well as lots of ledges at different heights. ALL DART FROGS CLIMB as much as we say "those are terrestrial or those are more arboreal" my azureus, galacts, and mints all climb a ton and sit up high a lot for being 'terrestrial frogs'. And I know a 20g is fine for 2 adult tincs, 10g per frog is plenty. There are lots of hides, a lot of depth, and more land than you think. Adding leaf litter is something I already planned on doing, again this tank is only about a week old, and those pictures were taken a day after it was "finished". I wanted the moss to start growing in more before I layered more leaf litter on top of it. The leaf litter in there is also fairly deep, as that area is depressed more than the area around it so the leaf litter layer could be more substantial. More is going in regardless. I appreciate the concern, but this is not one to get worked up over. The tank will grow in nicely and they have more land than the pictures would tell. They will also climb as much as some of you want to say "they are strictly terrestrial!", we all know dart frogs all climb, while yes, some may be known to climb more than others. Ill post pictures when they are climbing all over and perching up high, low, and anywhere in between . I am not worried but thank you for the advice. There are far far worse examples of poor designs and enclosures not suitable for frogs on here than this one! ...and funny that some of those comments are coming from guys who also sell smaller frogs!

Thanks for the comments and advice

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Are you sure it's a palm?
It hard to tell from the pictures but it kinda looks like Columnea linearis.

No I am really not sure. It resembles both plants, and like I said, it was not labeled when I purchased it....only said "assorted foliage". But it was in with the other palms. It was only 4.99 for the 4" potted plant. Sorry I couldnt tell you for sure.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM

I've kept two different tinc morphs that would hang out in the water and nab floating fruit flies.
FroggyKnight and Dart_Man like this.

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_Man View Post
In regards to the tank not being optimal for cobalts, I agree to some extent but not to the level I am hearing from a few of you. The land section is larger than the pictures look (pictures can be deceiving) and the left and right side are connected so the frogs can easily walk the full length of the viv, NOT being confined to the left side due to the water feature. The water section itself is actually quite small, with only a 2"Wx4"Lx2"D section that the frogs wont actually use. The rest is built up enough where they can wade into the water slightly or sit on the little banks around the water, or even sit on the waterfall itself. The waterfall has gravel and moss built up on both sides so the frogs can very easily walk across it or stand on the rocks or next to it without any trouble. The background is also carved a ton with a bunch of hides made from cork, film cans, and just a lot of carving. So there is also a ton of depth as well as lots of ledges at different heights. ALL DART FROGS CLIMB as much as we say "those are terrestrial or those are more arboreal" my azureus, galacts, and mints all climb a ton and sit up high a lot for being 'terrestrial frogs'. And I know a 20g is fine for 2 adult tincs, 10g per frog is plenty. There are lots of hides, a lot of depth, and more land than you think. Adding leaf litter is something I already planned on doing, again this tank is only about a week old, and those pictures were taken a day after it was "finished". I wanted the moss to start growing in more before I layered more leaf litter on top of it. The leaf litter in there is also fairly deep, as that area is depressed more than the area around it so the leaf litter layer could be more substantial. More is going in regardless. I appreciate the concern, but this is not one to get worked up over. The tank will grow in nicely and they have more land than the pictures would tell. They will also climb as much as some of you want to say "they are strictly terrestrial!", we all know dart frogs all climb, while yes, some may be known to climb more than others. Ill post pictures when they are climbing all over and perching up high, low, and anywhere in between . I am not worried but thank you for the advice. There are far far worse examples of poor designs and enclosures not suitable for frogs on here than this one! ...and funny that some of those comments are coming from guys who also sell smaller frogs!

Thanks for the comments and advice
I absolutely LOVE this build! With the small water feature do you guys think it would be appropriate for Highland Bronze Auratus? I'm getting ready to do a 24x18x18 build and would love to incorporate of couple of your ideas...

Dawna
Dart_Man likes this.

Azureus, Pumilio Almirante, R. Imitator Veraderos, A. Highland Bronze, P Terribilis Orange
Old 02-06-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawna View Post
I absolutely LOVE this build! With the small water feature do you guys think it would be appropriate for Highland Bronze Auratus? I'm getting ready to do a 24x18x18 build and would love to incorporate of couple of your ideas...

Dawna

That size is approx. 34g and would be suitable for around 3 auratus IMO. Depends how you set it up but should be just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dart_Man For This Useful Post:
Dawna (02-06-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:41 AM

Forgive my navet, but how do you get the pump out to clean it? I've never set up a water feature like this before.

Dawna

Azureus, Pumilio Almirante, R. Imitator Veraderos, A. Highland Bronze, P Terribilis Orange
Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawna View Post
Forgive my navet, but how do you get the pump out to clean it? I've never set up a water feature like this before.

Dawna
This will hopefully help

So what you are looking at is a housing I built into the background to create a hollow space to put the pump. There are a lot of ways to make something like that, I used something called Eggcrate but a PVC pipe, a tupperware container, or many other things can be used to get the same effect. What this does is gives you an accessible space in your tank that is hidden yet gives you plenty of room to get to your pump. It also lets your pump get all the way to the bottom of the tank without any gravel or debris getting in the way but still lets water pass through it. Just make sure whatever you do is frog proof!

I wish I took more pictures but I am happy to explain more if you would like.

This is a pretty common thing to do in vivariums with a water section, so take a look around at other peoples builds to get some more ideas. Like I said, I am happy to answer more questions
Jeremy M and Dawna like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dart_Man For This Useful Post:
Dawna (02-07-2015), Jeremy M (02-08-2015)

Tags
build, cobalt, construction, tank, vivarium