Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Default 12 gal viv

This is my first attempt at a vivarium. I've had an old 12 gallon Eclipse bowfront acrylic sitting around forever. It's a nice tank and I knew I would probably want my frogs in a bigger tank in the near future- so I didn't want to permanently Great Stuff/ silicone into it.

I used a piece of foam to attach all of the background to. I siliconed/coco fibered over the styrofoam. The corkbark 'tree' is just siliconed to the back, all cracks filled and covered. The piece had a natural curve to it at the base, so I turned it into a little cave. I used some extra styrofoam to make a roof and coco fibered it all.

I planted it today. I'd still like to add some riccia, and haven't yet put in any leaf litter. Plants include maidenhair fern, creeping fig cuttings, cuttings from a peacock(?) fern, some local mushrooms and moss growing in my yard and three mini-broms.

Substrate is an eggcrate false bottom, screened with orchid bark/cocofiber and LFS over it in that order. I wrapped the entire false bottom structure (eggcrate + pvc supports) in the screen to make a box to create wall so that I could line the edges with LFS so that the false bottom will not be visible.

Water feature is just a pond in the front with gravel. No water flow.

I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I am still figuring out the lighting. I have only 18 watts of 6700K on it right now- but am trading that in for a 28watt/6700K fixture in soon. (both C.F.)

I have no ventilation at the moment- I want to see how it does without any to help me to decide how much I need. I am borrowing a digital thermometer/hygrometer from work tomorrow to check stats.

No fauna so far except some isopods from my yard. I will seed it with Springtails soon. Hopefully adding a froglet or two in the next month.

Here is a shot of the completed background before installing it. The 'v's are formed from styrofoam and will be plant/frog perches.

The 'cave' behind the tree.

The substrate before installing background

Neat mushrooms from yard

Planted

Tree Cave

Right view

There are a few more pics in my gallery if you want to see more.

Edited- Oops, Newbie mistake. I hopefully fixed the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Any comments? Criticisms? Suggestions?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM

the background looks like it might fill in nicely. if there isn't a false bottom, you're going to run into problems with a stinky rotting substrate in a few weeks.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator
the background looks like it might fill in nicely. if there isn't a false bottom, you're going to run into problems with a stinky rotting substrate in a few weeks.
Good suggestion. Those epiphytes will rot if proper drainage is not provided. What's in your substrate?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I do have an eggcrate false bottom. The LFS that appears to be the entire bottom is actually only a 1/4" thick wall along the length of 3 sides of the acrylic to hide the false bottom. The water level is probably only 1/2" deep.

Do you think that will still be a problem?

The substrate is on top of the screen covered eggcrate. It is a mix of Orchid bark, charcoal, and a little cocofiber covered with a layer of LFS. In the areas immediately surrounding the broms, I pushed back the substrate a bit so it is sitting on top of the screen only surrounded by LFS.

Will they do ok like that?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM

i would say as long as the coco bedding substrate isn't saturated, it should be alright. the driftwood you have on the right side is a real nice piece.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks! There are even some lichen on it, that I hope come back to life a bit.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Watch the LFS - it will wick water back into your substrate, and saturate it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 PM

Oh, I didn't realize that!! Thanks! I will have to keep an eye on it- I sure hope it doesn't become a problem. That could be a pain to fix. So far only the LFS along the edges seems to be real wet- I will make sure the stuff in the middle only stays slightly moist.

I am getting readings of 92% humidity. My temperature is reading 82F during the hottest part of the day in the house, but that is without my ventiliation installed or my lighting lifted off the lid. I am sure it will lower a bit with those changes.