Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Default It's about freakin time...*update 3/16...part 2*

Well, I have been waiting for this guy to pop out for the last week and a half. He has had all four legs popped for about two weeks and the tail was getting smaller and smaller and I had been saying every day for the couple weeks "Just another day or two". Well, today he finally decided to introduce himself. Anyways, here's my newest little addition to the family...

Woulda used a dime, but of course a nickel was the only thing I could find in a hurry :roll:
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM

sooo tiny! cool pix

www.socal-rc.com
Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Wow! That's pretty cool to see the little guy.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Congrats!
Not to crap on you're rainbow, but I would suggest trying to avoid touching newly morphed froglets with you're hands...many times if I end up touching a froglet that young, they will end up dying.
Might not be that way for everyone, but thought I'd pass that along.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Khamul

I always wondered about how safe it was to put frogs on coins as well.
He is sooooo cute, poor little thing. COngrats! What do you feed him? Springtails?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM

I've always wondered how people can actually pick up tiny froglets without stressing them to death. I've never touched my azureus for fear of stressing them out. Maybe it's just that I'm paranoid.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Looks like the front legs may be spindly. Doesn't look like he's holding himself up very well. Could be wrong though. Good luck with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM

probably not. I`ve had 1 or 2 escudos do that crouching posture right out of the brom. They are pretty good about being motionless when something big is around. they both were out and hunting w/in the next day or 2 once they got used to their new surroundings. the legs look to have the correct thickness.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM

Congrats. Oh and uhh, stop touching your frogs! :lol: :roll:
Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 PM

I'll say It's about time ! You got any more growing in there ? They are so tiny and their legs are so small it's a wonder they can support their own weight ! Mine are out and about climbing the sides and all over the place all ready . They seem like they are pretty hardy little frogs , give him a week he will be exploring his tank . I've noticed a little growth in mine in a week or two already . Dump one of your springtail cultures in there and let him go to town . :lol: You better find a mate for that Shepherds Island , I got dibs on some froglets . :shock:

Mark
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Not to crap on you're rainbow, but I would suggest trying to avoid touching newly morphed froglets with you're hands
I agree, but unfortunately it's kinda hard to not touch them when you are transferring them and they jump up on your hand!

Quote:
What do you feed him? Springtails?
I have him removed to a separate shoebox that is BOOMING with springtails, dwarf white woodlice, and pygmy red woodlice. I figure that a little variety should do him well. On top of the small space making it easier for him to find food, it also makes it easier to locate him to give him calcium gluconate supplementation.

Quote:
Looks like the front legs may be spindly. Doesn't look like he's holding himself up very well.
Quote:
probably not. I`ve had 1 or 2 escudos do that crouching posture right out of the brom. They are pretty good about being motionless when something big is around.
Gonna have to agree with Aaron on this one. I have a hard time believing that a SLS forglet would be able to move around as well as this guy does and he definitely "crouches" when he sees me. After looking back at the pics I can definitely see how it may look like that, but it definitely is just his position and bad camera angle.

Quote:
Congrats. Oh and uhh, stop touching your frogs!
hehe, should have known better... :roll:

Quote:
You got any more growing in there
Well, I hope so. I haven't seen any more, but after seeing how small they are amongst the leaves in a small 6x6 box, there could be 4 or 5 more in there and I could easily not have seen them yet. I know they are/were feeding one more tad, but I haven't seen it in awhile so I don't know if he made it or not. Just have to wait and see.

Quote:
You better find a mate for that Shepherds Island , I got dibs on some froglets .
Well, if you guys want to help me find a male, I can definitely will try to help out with some froglets!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Congratulations Stace!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 AM

Default Re: It's about freakin time...

Speak O the debil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreland

Definate stress/defense posture.

-Who knows
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Mod

They can't.

That's why I use a glass or plastic tube to pick up my froglets. Still stressful, but not as stressful.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrmn12285
I've always wondered how people can actually pick up tiny froglets without stressing them to death. I've never touched my azureus for fear of stressing them out. Maybe it's just that I'm paranoid.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 AM

Well, despite everyones definite certainty that having the Escudos froglet jump on my hand would have him stressed to death and that being on a coin will kill him and that he was so stressed he was going to die, he is growing up nicely and has about doubled in size. He is eating great and is definitely not spindly as he is all over the container when I open it up and he has no trouble getting around. I know most people think that these frogs are so delicate that if you even look at them they will die, but it's just not true. I agree we should try to limit their stress as much as possible, but at times (when they hop out onto you) it's unavoidable. I was pretty disappointed with the responses to my joy as it seemed that most people were only interested in commenting on the "negative" things I do and very few were happy and excited to share in my joy/excitement. Just kinda disappointing, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I was doing some maintenance in the Escudos parents viv I came across a little surprise... another froglet. He had apparently been in there for at least a week or two as he is only a little smaller than the other one and appears to have been living in the leaf litter in the parents bin. I would never have even seen him except I removed a piece of wood to add some new leaf litter underneath and just happened to look at the underside of the piece of wood and saw him. I check the bin pretty regularly and NEVER even saw a hint of this guy, so I guess there is hope that there may be at least a few more. No pics for now... don't want to stress em to death...
Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 AM

Stace,

You really should stop talking about your froglets. That usually can end up in undue stress to the frog. Just knock it off. Furthermore, you may also want to stop feeding them b/c that too could stress them to death as the jumping springtails would confuse them. :roll:

Congrats man, its good to hear your frogs are breeding. I'm on the list right? :wink:
Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 AM

Thats awsome! Looks like the escudos are all being good parents and their froglets are robust too! Congrats!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogtofall
Stace,

You really should stop talking about your froglets. That usually can end up in undue stress to the frog. Just knock it off. Furthermore, you may also want to stop feeding them b/c that too could stress them to death as the jumping springtails would confuse them. :roll:

Congrats man, its good to hear your frogs are breeding. I'm on the list right? :wink:
Yeah, I am even debating not thinking about them... who knows what could happen then. I don't kow who's moe stressed, me or them!
Antone, you know you are on the list, it just where on the list that is the catch. Now, if you just happen to get in some nice stuff in the near future... well, you know. I tell you, I support the people who have supported me and you are near the top of the list on that so you definitely will get a crack at them when the time comes.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:16 AM

Cool, beautiful frog!

So do I still get that 30% discount because of the dollar-a-gallon thing? :wink: Ill be setting up a frog rack in a few short months!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 AM

Hmmm, I guess that might come back to bite me in the a$$ afterall! Whoda thunk you would hold that ace til the Escudos were popping out!?! Well, I'm a man of my word and it shall be done, but the only catch is that you got to get on the list! :wink:
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 AM

Ha! As much as I would love some escudos, they're a little out of my price range (even with 30% off!). Ill have to order some others from you in a few months, though. I just ordered 5 18x18x18 and 8 18x18x24 exo-terras from a LFS thats going out of business. Now lets see if I actually get them!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Awesome little frogs Stace. Can't wait to see them in person.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Sponsor

Hey Stace, I will take the 30% off if Zach doesnt want it. :lol:
Nice frog!!!!
Jason
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Dedicated Supporter

nice!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Thanks guys, I am pretty pleased with em. I had a sneaky suspicion that there was more than the one in there and I literally almost missed this one, so my hopes are high that I might just find another surprise or two in there...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 AM

I was waiting for that to happen. Now you got my attention. Obviously you have been taking great care. Not to say I'm surprised, just nice to know.

-Who knows