Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Blue aurats get an upgrade! *Pic intensive*

Yes I realize theyre a bit skinny. I never saw them in their old viv and if I did it was a fleeting glimpse before they scattered so I didnt know their weight, condition, etc. Used to throw in a couple hundred flies every other day, now looks like I'll need to do it everyday.

Cheers,
Chris

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've some anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Nice pictures, and frogs!

What kind of brom is that (the blue/purple one in the first picture?). Also, what kind of lighting do you have above that tank.

Everything looks fantastic.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 AM

nice tank, the water area looks really awesome.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
TWI/ASN

I could be wrong but that looks like the Neo. Darkest Hour.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot"

Join the Amphibian Steward Network
Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments everyone

Raymond,

that brom is 'Fairy Paint.' Looks a lot like 'Darkest Hour' however. The lighting is two 36W power compacts. One an actinic and the other a 50/50

Is there anything other than flies that I can feed to put some quick weight on these guys?

Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinctoritus
Is there anything other than flies that I can feed to put some quick weight on these guys?
Lessar waxworms Though im not sure you can get them accross the pond :roll:
Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Default hello

hey again! tanks look good! i would recommend switching to 6700k daylight bulbs for the tank- no actnics are needed!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyta
hey again! tanks look good! i would recommend switching to 6700k daylight bulbs for the tank- no actnics are needed!
Its actually a leftover from my reef tank days. I do gotta switch the actinic out for a more plant suitable color temp.

kj, I think EDs has waxies. Might needa give'm a shot!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinctoritus
Thanks for the compliments everyone

Raymond,

that brom is 'Fairy Paint.' Looks a lot like 'Darkest Hour' however. The lighting is two 36W power compacts. One an actinic and the other a 50/50

Thanks for the info, it's a beautiful plant. May I ask where you got it from? I'm looking for a brom that size to put in a viv and that looks like it would be perfect.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 AM

termites would also be excellent for weight gain, and RFB larvae if you can get them to eat them... if you can get them use to bowl feeding they will take RFB larvae very well, as well as keep the termites in one spot lol.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 AM

Raymond, that brom came from JoshsFrogs. I dont see it listed any longer though, he may be out I reckin. Its a dark rich maroon red. Almost like a burgundy.

The feeding is a problem in a way. I almost never see them. Even when I feed. I often find flies running around on the tank rim b/c they arent eating them quick enough. I fed tonight and watched for about 10 minutes before even one came out and it was only one to come out.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 AM

Bowl feeding takes time, but I've had some very shy frogs take to it very well... frogs that make your blues look almost bold, lol. I'd start with something they love like termites... they also stay alive very well in tanks... put it in a low point in the tank they are likely to see... usually with shy and skittish frogs, they will come out and investigate a little after you leave... after they see movement in the bowl, and you aren't around to scare them, they'll quickly chow down. Remove the bowl and clean it when they are done. This will teach them that putting the bowl in means fresh food... even a shy camo auratus would come plowing out of the leaf litter for munchies as long as I stood still. When they clearly recognize the bowl for food, you can start doing RFB larvae... the larvae tends to die in high humidity and isn't as active, so its a bit of a waste for frogs that haven't been conditioned to bowl feeding yet. Termites are always the best way to go, and great for weight as well.

Also might want to stick a piece of fruit in the tank to gather flies, and keep them down where the frogs are more likely to eat them.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Corey,

Tried the feeding bowl thing. Dumb frogs couldnt figure out they had to get into the bowl to get the food instead trying to get them through (clear container) the bowl. I'll try different ways to see what works best aside from just dumping in a load of flies.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 PM

I always use solid containers rather than clear containers for this very reason... these animals don't understand barriers they cannot see thru. Instead of something like a petri dish, use something like a really shallow ceramic reptile bowl, or my recent (and cheaper) alternative... ceramic glazed dish/plate things you put under pots to hold water... Walmart and Home Depot started carrying these pots (and the saucers) in nice bold colors, with the saucers sold separately... I bought a whole bunch of the smallest size for food bowls The handy thing about the glazed dishes is that they are heavy (won't be tipped over by bigger frogs), very slick (escapes are rare by critters that can't walk up glass), and easy to clean. Less fragile than glass petri dishes too.

Yogurt lids are also commonly recommended, but have the issue of being light (flipped by some frogs), and the ridges that allow the lids to reseal on the container may also give some critters the grip needed to get out.

These bowls have the biggest issue of NOT being see thru... in that if not situated right, the frogs may not be able to see into the bowl to see the food... until they associate the arrival of the bowl with food, this is the biggest obstacle. Putting the bowl in a low point in the tank where the frogs are likely to look down into the bowl is really helpful, and/or having an indentation in the substrate to put the bowl in to make it level with the substrate, another way for the frogs to look "down" into it. If they don't see the moving prey, they won't be attracted to it.