Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Newest Viv and help sex my frogs! Not 56k friendly

My latest viv with my first ever broms. 29g with a tiered waterfall. It runs down a small drip wall to a pond that then waterfalls to the bottom pond. I'm hoping the broms on the bottom do ok, or I'll have to relocate them to drier ground. It's housing 4 cobalt tincs atm that I just relocated. They're exploring like crazy in their new home. The vivs not done yet, but close enough I think.

Now for the fun part... sex'em

More of a challenge... but I know at least 1 is male. He's been calling for a while now.

The tincs were as small as the leucs when I first got them maybe a little larger. The leucs haven't grown as much, but they are 2-3 months younger I think.

Thanks for any help on the sexes, hoping I have at least 1 female in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 10:18 PM

The cobalts appear to be...female, male, female, female. Your best bet would be to keep only a pair together. Females can be quite aggressive toward each other.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM

i say fmff, but the third one is kinda hard to tell from the back. you might have some difficulty with more than one female in a tank. leucs you can't sex by appearance.

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 PM

I guess my answer is fmmf. I think the third one down looks like a male if you look at the toepads. I cant tell with the leucs. Just watch and see which one is calling. Hope this helps...........Sara
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 AM

I'm going to chime in and say fmmf as well.

toepads on the 3rd frog are bigger when compared to 1 and 4.

cheers.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 AM

So far a 50/50 chance of having 2 pairs. Not too bad as that was what I was hoping for. I'll see if I can get a better pick of #3 after they've had time to settle down a bit. I'm planning on separating the females. Size-wise, any idea how soon I need to start worrying about the aggression? So far I haven't seen any territorial issues, they all hang out together. They've grown really well, so I'm assuming they'll be reaching maturity before too long.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 AM

You need to get those broms up off the ground, they are epiphytes not terrestrials and will rot.

They can be sexually mature around a year, but I've seen the aggression wait until as late as 18 months... then hell breaks loose. Going by the sexual dimorphism and size... could be any time now, and introduction into a new tank could instigate... if you see breeding behavior, pull the extras and leave the pair.

I go with f m f f... frog number 3 has slightly larger toe pads that the first and last frog, but still within the realm of being female... when looking at toepads in males the toepads will be 2x the size of the toepads on the hind limbs and tend to show a slight difference in color... like the second frog. While larger, frog 3's toepads are not double the size, and has uniform color. Hard to tell but the body shape looks female as well, as well as being larger than the clear male...

Leucs are very tricky to sex, they have to have the right body weight, and you have to be good at determining sex by body shape. Easier just to wait until you determine who is calling... and keep track of who calls and who doesn't... if you get fertile eggs, they are a pair! If not, and you catch both calling, start looking for a girl.