Hello everyone, let me say that this post is full on info and pictures because I have learned so much from people putting things in construction journals (especially the simple stuff you never realize). So, this is my 33 gallon cube that I have revamped. I made plenty of mistakes the first time, mostly with the soil (regular potting soil, not putting a screen between layers) and the appearance (ridiculously overgrown, lighting was a mess). I don't have a picture of the tank before, but my light fixture was two feet long on a twenty inch tank so it hung off the sides, and the plant choices I made just got out of control. Also, I had buried a pump for the water fixture, which of course got plugged up after a month and was never able to be fixed. So my goals were to make the look more cohesive and sharp, get a reliable water fixture running, and fix the soil/plant problems.
First I stripped everything out and moved the four D. tintorius to holding tanks. Then I set up my sump and tested the water works.
I used a Zoomed 501 to pump the water out and into the sump. I didn't want to mess around with drilling a tank, so I think this is the next best thing. The pump inside the sump that flows to the tank is a minijet 606.
a close up of the sump:
The problem with this setup is the fact that you have to jockey with the outputs to make sure that the pumps are equal so it isn't slowly draining all the water out ot the tank or all the water out of the sump. This obviously isn't a problem with a drilled tank, but it is still very easy to deal with.
Next comes the obligitory false bottom shot:
I had a great piece of driftwood for the waterfall, so I then placed some hardscape in the tank to get an idea:
When I got the flow of the waterfall directed properly, I siliconed the sides
about an inch and a half in the back to hide the great stuff, and then I siliconed the wood and bark in place and foamed it:
sorry about the feet!
I then padded coco fiber on the siliconed great stuff:
Here are the changes I made with the lighting fixture/top. I bought a Current USA orbit 2x40w fixture and am extremely happy with the results.
I also got a new piece of glass cut for the front section of the top and took an extra backsplash I had from another tank and drilled holes in it as well as added mesh. This extra ventilation is just what I needed to lower the temps a few degrees without sacrificing much humidity. Here it is:
Finally planted, with all broms and cuttings from Kevin at tropicalinhabitants.com and other plants from Joshsfrogs.com. Both were great guys to buy from. I used orchid bark this time mixed with a little sphagnum moss.
Overall, I pretty happy with the result, and the frogs seem to love it, especially their new stream and the climbing room on the back. I hope this helps some other people just coming into the hobby like I was a year ago. Feel free to leave comments or suggestions.