Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Redone Viv construction journal (lots of pictures)

Hello everyone, let me say that this post is full on info and pictures because I have learned so much from people putting things in construction journals (especially the simple stuff you never realize). So, this is my 33 gallon cube that I have revamped. I made plenty of mistakes the first time, mostly with the soil (regular potting soil, not putting a screen between layers) and the appearance (ridiculously overgrown, lighting was a mess). I don't have a picture of the tank before, but my light fixture was two feet long on a twenty inch tank so it hung off the sides, and the plant choices I made just got out of control. Also, I had buried a pump for the water fixture, which of course got plugged up after a month and was never able to be fixed. So my goals were to make the look more cohesive and sharp, get a reliable water fixture running, and fix the soil/plant problems.

First I stripped everything out and moved the four D. tintorius to holding tanks. Then I set up my sump and tested the water works.

I used a Zoomed 501 to pump the water out and into the sump. I didn't want to mess around with drilling a tank, so I think this is the next best thing. The pump inside the sump that flows to the tank is a minijet 606.

a close up of the sump:

The problem with this setup is the fact that you have to jockey with the outputs to make sure that the pumps are equal so it isn't slowly draining all the water out ot the tank or all the water out of the sump. This obviously isn't a problem with a drilled tank, but it is still very easy to deal with.

Next comes the obligitory false bottom shot:

I had a great piece of driftwood for the waterfall, so I then placed some hardscape in the tank to get an idea:

When I got the flow of the waterfall directed properly, I siliconed the sides
about an inch and a half in the back to hide the great stuff, and then I siliconed the wood and bark in place and foamed it:

sorry about the feet!

I then padded coco fiber on the siliconed great stuff:

Here are the changes I made with the lighting fixture/top. I bought a Current USA orbit 2x40w fixture and am extremely happy with the results.
I also got a new piece of glass cut for the front section of the top and took an extra backsplash I had from another tank and drilled holes in it as well as added mesh. This extra ventilation is just what I needed to lower the temps a few degrees without sacrificing much humidity. Here it is:

Finally planted, with all broms and cuttings from Kevin at tropicalinhabitants.com and other plants from Joshsfrogs.com. Both were great guys to buy from. I used orchid bark this time mixed with a little sphagnum moss.

Overall, I pretty happy with the result, and the frogs seem to love it, especially their new stream and the climbing room on the back. I hope this helps some other people just coming into the hobby like I was a year ago. Feel free to leave comments or suggestions.

-Rob
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM

thats an awesome tank. I'm jealous haha. I can already see what my house is going to look like. I thought Reefing was a bad habbit but these dumb frogs are worse haha. No but that is an awesome viv.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Very nicely done! Your tincs look very pleased with thier new home.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM

How did you hide the false bottom in the front of the viv?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Thats a really nice looking tank! Good job on it.

But I have to say that IMO its not nearly enough room for 4 tincs. It may be 30 gallons, but its a cube, and you dont have much floor space in there for them. It doesnt look like much more floor space than a 10-15 gallon tank. I would suggest making another tank and splitting them into pairs. Just looking at the pics and the size of all 4 frogs, it looks crowded in there.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 PM

As for the last couple of questions:

The false bottom is hid in the front and around the sides by a layer of LECA clay balls, and then by river rocks where the water comes down.

As for the space for the frogs, when I first put them in there, that is initially what I thought. But when I gave the frogs time to settle in, I realized that there is a lot of space hidden from view, like under the log in the back left and under the driftwood stream. Unfortunately the pictures do not do this justice at all as well as the depth in the background. I understand your point nuggular, but the frogs have been in that sized tank for the last year and a half and they are all fine. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 PM

how many gallons per hour does the zoo med canister do? i have a 25gph statuary hooked up to my 10 gal (which isn't up and running yet), but i fear it will be too much flow.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 PM

Very nice...Like the landscape a lot.

That reminds me, I better get working on my 33! :P
Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that the zoo med is rated at 79 gph.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Cool cool man. I just wanted to share my thoughts. I'm glad they are happy in there. And I agree with you, pictures never do any of our tanks "true" justice.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM

How is the trio doing in there? Are they froglets or adults, can't really seem to tell. What's your sex ratio?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM

They are all four adults. I believe the ratio is 1.3. There have been no eggs or anything, which I attribute mostly to the females wrestling with each other every once in a while. At first this bothered me a lot, but then over time I realized they all had their own space and were not acting stressed and all eating well. For the last month or so, there has been one specific female who courts with the male all the time and the other two females seem not to care.