Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Some shots from my vivs...

This 15 gallon tank used to just have 2 pieces of glass for a top, but the front glass stayed way too foggy. So I made a vent! The silcone is drying ATM, so I left the large middle piece of glass that will serve as a door off for now:

This moss started sprouting up, I guess it is LFS, coming up from the dried stuff I had put in the tank? If not, what is it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Here is a shot from my recently completed vert which houses my imis.

The thermometer doesn't stay in there, just checking the stats:

Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 AM

Not sphagnum moss... click here to see a photo of live sphagnum moss from wikipedia. The dried moss you put in there doesn't look to be sphagnum either... but the "frog moss" sold in pet stores that typically rots and makes your tank reek. It might be that some of it actually came back to life instead of rotted... not unheard of for sphagnum, but just about unheard of for the crappy pet store moss!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:12 AM

I get that moss all the time, It just grows out of my peat moss, there must be spores still in it?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 PM

The stuff right under the growing moss is spagnum, I put it there on the "tree stump" to give the dischidia something to root on. I guess it is something else just sort've showing up. I am used to that with my reef tank.

The dried stuff in most of the rest of the tank is like you said, crappy frog moss. Now that I have vented the tank with the screen it is getting all hairy with mold. I am thinking about just yanking it out and starting over with a different moss.

Does real spagnum get less funky? Should I look into replacing the moss with spagnum?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 PM

Here is the moldy looking stuff I am talking about.

Think I should take the nasty stuff out?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM

And here is a vent I am making for the top of my 29 gallon viv:

It is going to run the entire length of the front, on top. The only problem is, now I will need to get glass cut again!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Here is a brom that is sending off a pup in the 29 gallon viv. I can't remember what kind it is... that info was on my old PC. I got it from Antone, and it is supposed to be one that stays small.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Very cool vivariums. I like your imi tank. Good job!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 PM

The hairy mold you are seeing is due to the crappy frog moss. I did call it crappy for a reason lol. This stuff rots fast, and its actually worthless in my opinion... it doesn't hold much water unless in constantly wet conditions, in which it rots. what is the point?!

Sphagnum you may have to order online, but it takes years to break down, is super absorbent (like a sponge) even constantly wet... and since it typically grows in shallow water to mud, this makes sense why it tends to come back to life on a semi regular basis in our tanks. For dried moss, there really is no other moss we can and should use in our tanks. I keep a large bag of it around at all times.

Remove as much crappy moss as you can, spray the stuff down well with water to rinse away most of the mold, and replace with the sphagnum moss and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Thanks mego..

Thanks Corey, a nursery near my house has big bags of spagnum, I'll pick one up tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 PM

I don't rock, the moss rocks! Er... grows on rocks? Eh...

Anyways, the stuff is awesome, I use it for everything... temp tanks get sphagnum moss on the bottom, I raise my vivarium plants on the moss, my morph tanks have a lump of moss for the froglets to grow out on, I use it in my substrate in tanks, etc., etc. Where the moss peeks out from the leaf litter next to the pond in my blushing mantella tank, I've got sphagnum coming to life... as well as the sphagnum in my peperomia and begonia culture containers! lol.

The moss is also somewhat acidic (which is why its not recommended for some caudates/salamanders which can't take the acidity) which is good in our frog tanks, and also acts as a sort of natural antibacterial/antifungal deal... which is why the "hairy mold" problem you are having will generally not occur in the tank with the good moss, unless a plant begins to rot, in which case it will generally stay just on the rotting plant and disappear when the plant disappears. Generally when you first set up a tank you'll get mold and fungus everywhere - thats normal. This specific fungus growing in your tank is not as normal, and is a sign that part of the set up - almost always the crappy moss IME - is wrong. Easy fix tho.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Heh, now I am obsessing about this funky stuff! It's dark outside already or I'd carry the viv out to the table in the backyard and rip it out now!

At least I know how to fix it. What's funny is, the mold didn't start at all until I vented the tank. It was in there for a few weeks with the glas top sealed with no problems.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Anyone else's wife come home today and shout, "Why is the Dremel in the bathroom?!"

"Well honey, I was cutting pieces for a vent!"
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM

OK, ripped out the old nasty "frog-moss" and replaced it with dried sphagnum moss. Man I hate the way this sphagnum looks! Maybe this isn't the right stuff? It seems kinda "dirty" it has twigs and stuff mixed in it and it is almost like a big bag of pot in that it's mostly loose. Isn't it supposed to be long and stringy? I just looked at the stuff at Josh's Frogs.com and it doesn't really seem the same. Should I order some of Josh's?

I also got a new Selaginella while I was at the nursery and also some "Irish Moss" and a Marbled Queen Pothos. Here are some pictures:

They called the selaginella "variegated". They had a few of them and all were multi-colored like that. I can't remember what the little sign said the species was. Anyone know?

While I was at it I ditched the fake tree trunk, it was just taking up too much room in the tank, even though it looked hella cool!