Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Front opening 10 Gallon Viv construction

I decided to try something new! I have not seen a tank made like this before so I hope it will work. This is a 10 Gallon tank for our first cobalt froglet that we just can't part with. Since it will not climb, I decided to turn the tank so that it has more ground space and it opens on the front.

First, I added silicone to the inside lip of the tank so that it won't leak. Next, I cut out a false bottom and wrapped it in screen. I also made a cave out of egg crate for the frog to hide in. I siliconed a ziploc bag to the inside of the cave so that plant roots won't grow into the cave. I wish that I would have siliconed some eco-earth inside the cave, but it is too late now. I used great stuff to form a hill on one side of the cave and to cover up some of the jagged edges of the egg crate. I did several layers of great stuff.

After the great stuff cured, I shaped it and siliconed eco earth to all the foam surfaces. I also siliconed the bottom piece of glass to the tank and tested for leaks once it dried. I vacuumed out all the excess eco earth and then started to substrate.

I put some screen in the gap between the front of the tank and the false bottom and filled the gap with gravel. Next layer of substrate is eco earth/coco husk/jungle earth mixture. On top is pillow moss and some sphagnum moss. I put in an african violet, an air plant, and some misc. vines, including a creeping fig.

Here is a view through the top of the tank minus a few of the plants and some of the moss I added later.

I had to use a black hinge because the clear hinge that I ordered would not fit the glass that I already had cut. I made a vent with one piece of a square dowel rod that runs across the inside of the tank even with the top of the glass door. I hot glued the screen directly to the tank and to that dowel rod. Keeping the door closed was a challenge, but what worked for me is velcro. I put a piece on the side of the tank and a piece on the door and just used a strap to go from one to the other on each side of the tank. I had to line the edges of the door with weatherstripping to keep the flies in.

This is Hercules A.K.A Herky. It is the first froglet we ever got out of the water. It is about 4 months out of the water.

All comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking.
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 02:49 AM

What do you use to keep the door shut... I would like to see the latch that you use.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:01 AM

i bought this at home depot. it is just two pieces of sticky back velcro and a double sided velcro strap normally used to wrap up power cords so they aren't so messy. i put one piece of velcro on the side of the tank and one on the door. then just attach the strap to both pieces on the tank.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:09 PM

Interesting concept. Good job.

Troy
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

A little ghetto, but I like it! Mad props for your first froglet too.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 AM

thanks. i guess it is a little ghetto. i just like to try things that are a bit different. some might work. some might not. but it is fun. we have about 20 other froglets right now but this one is special. i do have to make a few changes to the tank because it is not 100% fly proof. will post an update once completed.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Front opening 10 Gallon Viv construction

Nice horizontal spin on the classic 'vert' build! The creativity here is such an inspiration! The build in cave is a neat idea...great plant too!

cyberbrat
Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 PM

This is a little old lol

Justin
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

No kidding...definitely an old post...oops! ops: Still a cool idea!