Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Red Rio viv construction journal and a viv update

Alright this one has been about a month and a half in the making. I still need to get the GS siliconed and covered in coco-fiber.

This is a 12x12x18 exo terra that i am going to use for my red Rio Bronco trio which i believe to be 1.2. Haven't heard any calling yet though. I finally figured out that I have a macro function on my parents digital camera so i finally got some decent pics.

Here is the tank. Unfortunately the pic hides the depth of the tank with the vines stretching to the front.

And here are the three that are going in it.

Here's what I hope to be a male. He roams around exploring the quarentine tank all the time while the females(?) just hang out and look fat.

Here is the red female. The pic doesn't show how fat she is. She is really rotund.

And lastly here is the reddish orange female.

All the pics accurately portray the colors except the redish orange female is a little redder than the pic shows. I just love the red ones and can't get over how red they really are.

And just for the heck of it, here are a couple pics showing my 1.1 GL Lamasi viv showing the growout over the past 8 months. I never see the Lamasi though :evil:

Here it is in march after getting the frogs at Frog Day 2006

and here it is as of 11-20-06. I let it get all tangled with plants so that the lamasi feel secure, but they still hide all the time.

Enjoy
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Red Rio viv construction journal and a viv update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Wog
And just for the heck of it, here are a couple pics showing my 1.1 GL Lamasi viv showing the growout over the past 8 months. I never see the Lamasi though :evil:
Paul,
I suspect the exoterra just doesnt hold in enough humidity for them. Mine are out and about in the early am and prefer the tank very overrun with plants and dripping wet. FYI.

They will also get more bold as they breed for you. I suggest you consider putting in a pond and letting them raise the first 1/2 dozen tads in there and let them morph into the tank...then you will have a nice size group going and will likely see some all the time.

I keep 10 in a 20H vert.

S
Old 11-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Beautiful frogs Paul. The patterns on the 'females' are really nice. Best of luck breeding them.

Your viv is coming along well. Where did you get those vines, they look great. That lamasi tank is looking great as well, hopefully they bolden up a little. Cheers.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_doc
Paul,
I suspect the exoterra just doesnt hold in enough humidity for them. Mine are out and about in the early am and prefer the tank very overrun with plants and dripping wet. FYI.
Maybe so, I did seal off the top and used rubber strips to seal the gaps in the doors to keep the humidity up and the ffs in. I am getting ready to build a couple of vert 10s to have laying around for new arivals when they come. I may transfer the GLs to the vert 10 when I am done since they will definately be sealed better and be much more humid.

Quote:
They will also get more bold as they breed for you. I suggest you consider putting in a pond and letting them raise the first 1/2 dozen tads in there and let them morph into the tank...then you will have a nice size group going and will likely see some all the time.

I keep 10 in a 20H vert.
No breeding as of yet, but I was considering buying 3 more to up the size of the group as many people including you have told me to get a larger group. I just havent gotten around to it yet. As for the pond, there is one, but it is just hidden in the pic by overgrowth. All of my vivs have ponds and I doubt I would ever build one without at least a small one.

I do see one of them every now and then, the weird thing is that it is always around 2am instead of during the day. I got to sit down for a while and look at one for about 10 minutes recently, but he/she took off shortly after I left the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
Beautiful frogs Paul. The patterns on the 'females' are really nice. Best of luck breeding them.

Your viv is coming along well. Where did you get those vines, they look great. That lamasi tank is looking great as well, hopefully they bolden up a little. Cheers.
Thanks Raymond, this is the first viv that I have actually went out of my way to make perfect. most of my others don't have a background and are pretty basic. I plan on redoing them all since I am jealous of all of the nice vivs people on this board have.

I got the vines at a LFS called Tropical Treasures. I have the tags with names around here somewhere but I can't find them now. I'll let you know. I also got another vine that is called mystirious vine which I have also seen called monkey vine. Both came in long 4-5 ft. sections and I cut them down into 5 pieces. They were really resonably priced 10 for the mystirious vine and 22 for the other. I'll try to find the name of the other vine for you.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh no worries, I was just curious. Thanks for the info though.

I've got some liana vines coming in from Luke that were shipped last monday and still arn't here.....and it was through usps.....oh well, maybe they're just overloaded with packages.

Good luck with the rest of the exo terra. Like I said, the vines really add a cool effect. I would stock that sucker with tons of broms. Hopefully the rios will love it.

Just have fun making the viv, one of the nicest things besides frogs in this hobby is looking on a great vivarium and being able to say "Yeah, I built that from scratch."

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I would stock that sucker with tons of broms. Hopefully the rios will love it.
that's the plan :wink:

I want to have vivs that are as breathtaking as the frogs and that I can be proud to show people. Right now I am not really pleased with the look of all my others and that is why I am going to redo all of them as I can.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
that's the plan :wink:

I want to have vivs that are as breathtaking as the frogs and that I can be proud to show people. Right now I am not really pleased with the look of all my others and that is why I am going to redo all of them as I can.
Don't worry about it. If the others are anything like the lamasi viv, they're nothing to be ashamed of. The only thing lacking in the lamasi tank is a lot of plants on the background. Apart from that it is quite nice.

A lot of color always makes a viv seem even nicer. Try to get some strong lighting on that rio tank and stock it up with colorful broms. If you get it just right, a nice selection of greens, yellows, reds, oranges, etc. can be marvelous to look at. Be ready to have a lot of light though.

If the lighting is too much, a really lush, wet 'green' tank can be just as nice. And with those rios, they'll stick out like a sore thumb against the bright green foilage.

What are you going to be doing for the bottom of that tank? Eggcrate, leca, gravel, etc.....just curious. I'd hate to see the wieght of a thing like that with a gravel drainage system
Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm going to build an eggcrate false bottom and cover it in large grade aquarium gravel (I don't like the looks of leca, bleh) screen over the gravel layer and put a layer of coco fiber and gravel mix on top and then put either some patches of frog moss in or maybe some java moss, If not I will just put a layer of dried spagum over the top. I also want to get some HC and Riccia growing on the vines and cork bark along with a ton of broms and a few filler plants. As for lighting I was planning on a 2 x 96 watt Bright Kit from http://www.ahsupply.com to fit under the shelves on my rack. It hopefully will work for 3 vert 10s in a row. What do you think? I'm not really up on viv lighting like I am with reef lighting.

I'm not sure about the HC and Riccia though, as I do not have a misting system and think that it may not stay wet enough.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM

I'm by no means an expert on lighting, but I think that two 96W lights (192W) would be more than enough for 3 10verts. But expect brom coloring to come out

Hmm, I'm more of a leca guy myself. I've never minded the look, although I know a lot of people do.

The HC and riccia should maybe be ok. You don't neccesarily need a misting system to keep tanks wet. You can just mist a lot. If you have screens on the vivs for air flow, you can cover these up with saran wrap to keep humidity up.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM

If you're doing a false bottom, there is no need for LECA or gravel. Just put some fine screen over the eggcrate and put your soil mix right on top of that. I do mine this way and it works fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 PM

[quote=sports_doc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Paul E. Wog":2ywihcbp
Paul,
I suspect the exoterra just doesnt hold in enough humidity for them. Mine are out and about in the early am and prefer the tank very overrun with plants and dripping wet.

[/quote:2ywihcbp]

huh? 95% isnt enough? although i have a glass top i dont have humidity issues.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The HC and riccia should maybe be ok. You don't neccesarily need a misting system to keep tanks wet. You can just mist a lot. If you have screens on the vivs for air flow, you can cover these up with saran wrap to keep humidity up.
Yeah I know, I live in Arizona though and it's really dificult to keep the vivs from drying out. I try to mist twice a day, but usually only once. The arid weather out here just sucks the moisture right out. The humidity does stay upbetter though now that I sealed the gaps in the doors. Keeps most of the FFs in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB
If you're doing a false bottom, there is no need for LECA or gravel. Just put some fine screen over the eggcrate and put your soil mix right on top of that. I do mine this way and it works fine.
It is more for the purpose of creating a transition in the pond from soil to false bottom than anything else. I don't like my soil to get soggy from being in contact with the water feature. I know I could modify the false bottom to step down at the water feature, but I think it's just easier to taper it off down to the top of te FB plate with gravel. Plus it looks natural.

Here is a pic of my 10g Dwarf FG Tinc viv for an example of the water feature transition.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Ah, Arizona....nice place...

You ever get up to Northern Cali?

I'd possible try to invest in a misting system. Try to maybe find a cheap one, or it you can, mistking has some really nice ones supposedly. It would at least keep the viv humid and wet. I saw that you said you put ponds in all your vivs, this should help keep humidity up so theres a plus.

Sounds like some tillandsias could do well in your viv, becuase they like it a little dryer.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ah, Arizona....nice place...

You ever get up to Northern Cali?

I'd possible try to invest in a misting system. Try to maybe find a cheap one, or it you can, mistking has some really nice ones supposedly. It would at least keep the viv humid and wet. I saw that you said you put ponds in all your vivs, this should help keep humidity up so theres a plus.

Sounds like some tillandsias could do well in your viv, becuase they like it a little dryer.
Haven't been anywhere in California for several years. But being that I am an animator looking for work I may end up living somewhere out there evetually. Job market in Az for animators is pretty abismal.

I do plan on getting a misting system sooner or later, but my student loans are coming due starting january and will make my budget tight. I'm hoping to get what I have breeding regularly to help support my addiction....er, hobby.

It's not that my tanks are dry, it is just harder to keep them up where I want them to be. No room for laziness.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:56 AM

Nice pics, Paul. I look forward to following your progress on this.

I really like the lamasi tank, too. If you could get some sort of foliage on the back wall it would look just fine w/o having to redo the whole thing. Of course, if redo-ing's what you WANT to do, now, that's great, too!

I, too, dislike the look of LECA, but you know you can finagle things so that it doesn't show, right? By just pushing whatever you use to cover it down around the edges and filling in with gravel of some kind? (I like black aquarium gravel--blends in with and looks just like the substrate layer above...I just find LECA much simpler than egg-crate...but then I'm probably just lazy. (No, I'm definitely just lazy!)

I really like the overgrown look and agree that, in general, it usually makes most critters feel more at home. Lamasi are particularly stubborn, however--my son has some so I know. Funny how you see it at 2:00am! I always notice that I hear calling from my pum tank (and my intermedius, back when I still had the males) well after lights out. I haven't come up with a good explanation for this...

1.1 -- D. pumilio "Man Creek"
Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 AM

^ Gravel is just so much more easily available that I don't care to go to the trouble of aquiring leca. And I am used to woking with egg crate because of my saltwater experience so it is never a bother for me.

I think I may just keep the lamasi tank as is. I am really liking the looks of it here lately. I am going to be ordering some plants soon for the rio tank and will get some more broms and such to cover the back of the lamasi viv. As for the others, they just look weak and even my dad said that Az and leuc vivs look swampy, so I will definately redo those as I can.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:31 AM

Cool. Is that with the a plenum set-up? I've never tried that (naturally--remember the lazy bit...). Some day I'll have to take the egg crate plunge, but meanwhile, all I wanted to say was that LECA doesn't always have to show!

Yeah, if I were you I'd just leave the lamasi tank as is...get some plants on the back wall if you can, but I'll bet in real life it looks even better than in the pics--photos tend to highlight areas that don't even attract the eye in real life. And the exo-terra background isn't that bad to begin with.

1.1 -- D. pumilio "Man Creek"
Old 11-22-2006, 04:22 PM

Yeah I know you can hide leca but its to much of a pain for me.

And yes I do have a plenum in my 40 gallon reef. However, I think that my next reef will just have a fine grain DSB, maybe with an auxiliary plenum. I'ts kind of a pain not to be able to have sand stirers. And I prefer the smaller grain size.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 PM

[quote=sports_doc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Paul E. Wog":1ahbjbdq
Paul,

I keep 10 in a 20H vert.

S[/quote:1ahbjbdq]

i thought thats 2 gallons per frogs wouldnt be enough, i guess they do very well in groups :?:
Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyo90
i thought thats 2 gallons per frogs wouldnt be enough, i guess they do very well in groups :?:
Seems as though Vents and the 2 panguana morphs of lamasi tend to get along better in groups than most DFs. a lot of people keep 5 in vert 10s and 20s. I have 5 vents in another 12x12x18 exo terra and they do just fine together.

There really isn't any hard, fast rule as to how many frogs per gallon you can have. It is more of a general guideline than anything else. Every frog will be different some are shy, bold, mean, passive etc, all within the same sp. It all just depends on indavidual situations.

It's much like the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. Would you put a 10 inch catfish in a 10 gallon tank? Of course not. However, 10 neon tetras would be just fine. It really just depends.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Raymond, the vine that is in the viv is called a Frankenstein's vine and the one that I incorrectly called misterious vine is actually a sureal vine. My mind must be going at this ripe old age of 25 :roll:. I also just got a pigtail vine today. You can check out the website to find a vendor in your area at http://www.ecovinesusa.com/home.html
Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Raymond, the vine that is in the viv is called a Frankenstein's vine and the one that I incorrectly called misterious vine is actually a sureal vine. My mind must be going at this ripe old age of 25 :roll:. I also just got a pigtail vine today. You can check out the website to find a vendor in your area at http://www.ecovinesusa.com/home.html
Thanks Paul, I might look into that. I'm around an hour or so from east bay vivarium (a vendor in San Fransisco), so if I ever make it down, I might look at them. I'm pretty much set with my lianas for now though.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Paul, I might look into that. I'm around an hour or so from east bay vivarium (a vendor in San Fransisco), so if I ever make it down, I might look at them. I'm pretty much set with my lianas for now though.
Never hurts to have extras around. Hence the Pigtail vine I just bought :wink:
Not to mention all that I have left from cutting up the other vines. I should be able to do at least 5 more verts before I run out

I was going to snipe bid a 70 piece lot of cypress on ebay, but I slept in and the winner got it all for $27 :cry: I would have been set for life.