Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrLarner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Default My Slow Build for leucs

Hi, I'm new on here but thought i'd share my 2nd build which i plan to have finished and ready for a trio of leucs by end of march.
So... the tank was given to me almost brand new, it had epiweb attached already when had been plastered with epiweb moss mix, so i thought i'd give it a go and use it.
if some of you dont know, i live in the UK, what i did first was buy the huge piece of driftwood which was going to be the centre piece and i also bought a huge brom to sit in it.
i have since made a few adjustments and this is where i stand now.
the back wall which is also epiweb, the moss didn't take to well so i grew some ficus Pumila to grow over the back wall and its growing super fast and hopefully within a few weeks, the whole back wall will be smothered in it.
the brom on the far right hand side has a pup and i removed it and planted it into the big piece of driftwood.
i want to add a few more plants before i get any leucs in here, so any suggestions would be good.
what else would you do to this setup before adding leucs?
remembering that the base is all epiweb with loads of water underneath, so its not so easy to plant on the ground. i need to find some plants that will enjoy having their roots constantly soaked which will give this setup some colour.
any ideas????

punctata likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Re: My Slow Build for leucs

Well your going to need lots of leaf litter and to seed your tank with isopods and springtails. For plants on the ground prob spike moss or philodendron javamoss not many plants like soaked roots beside marginal plants.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:40 AM
TWI/ASN

If you wanted you could also get some cork tubes and plant mini broms and tillandsia on it. Do it like a runner across the front and then add alot of leaf litter and you will be set. I'm not sure springs would do so great with that kind of setup though. From my understanding of the OP's layout there is not much for them to thrive in.

Midwest Amphibians page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/702107233244402/

Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Correct, springtails and woodlice wont survive in a setup like this, same as leaf litter, the ground is smothered in moss mix so will moss over eventually, this kind of setup is for bold frogs like luecs, but can be changed to suit other frogs.
i'm just in 2 minds what to do next with it.