Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:48 PM

Default 110XH teaser

well i had a 110 paludarium for a long time (~3 years). i had to take it down due to evacuating my house for 2 months for fire reperations. it was sitting in my garage from february until last weekend. ive been collecting wood for it for months now, and have a pic of the initial placement.

i havent even removed all of the background from before, nor do i know if i will.

the tank is 48x18x30 so its size/shape has a lot of potential.

ive had a couple ideas of what to do, but looking for any reccomendations as far as design. ive done some pretty cool stuff in the past and want to really go all out on this one. if any of you have anything outrageaous youve done (or wanted to but didnt), let me know. i may give it a go

my thoughts:
  • idea #1) "mountain side" i was thinking of building the land up really high on the left side and taper it down to the bottom front right corner. it would create a nice terrain-y look with lots of contour. i think would be neat with the heigt of the tank. i could incorporate lots of stone and make the right side kind of like a vertical rock face, to blend the low area and the high area to the background. there could be waterfalls and or trickles throught out, but i dint really invision any pond area in this type of set up.

idea #2) "bonsai vivarium" i was thinking a toned down mountainside, but instead of making it into a small piece of nature, making it into a miniature landscape. i would definatly have lots of stone in this type of tank. the goal would be to make the bonsai look like a real tree. i would have to take the proportions of the tree and make the tank around it, to keep it looking like a real scape, and not a viv. ive got some real small leafed creepers that could go along with this and not be too big to throw off the look. there could be a "lake" in this set up, but would have to be designed around the same proportions. the water plants would also have to fit that bill, but with some of the dwarf plants available i think this could work well also.

idea #3) "peruvian riverside" i always like bio-topes. and, i like the idea of a peruvian river bank. ive researched enough to find 4 fish that are from that area and would cohabitate together, along with a plethera of aquatic plants. i could do another paludarium with a large water feature with tons of roots sticking out and have some cool bottom contour with sand and leaf litter as would be found in those areas. if i set it up like this there wouldnt be much "land" persay, but i think i could keep frogs like fants, or imis. i may even be able to fit in some land platforms into the background to increase surface area and of course lots of plants in this set up.

idea #4) "lots a roots" with the wood ive collected ive got some pretty nice pieces. i was thinking of just doing the basic set up, but with lots more wood. lots of surface area, lots of ground contour and tons of plants. this would be the easiest most effecient set up as i allready have a lot of wood. it wouldnt take as much artistic design, but if i go with the more simple approach, ill want to go all out with a drip wall, waterfalls, and rivers, if there is room. it may be the most simple, but turn out the best, but i dunno. seeing the wood i have in the tank is making me lean this way, but i still want to hear other ideas.

this is what it used to look like, so my new attempt must be much better

thanks for any ideas and for reading my long a$$ post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 PM

I really like the bonsai idea, I dont see much of those. The "lots of roots", while it may turn out great, I think will resemble a lot of other vivs out there. If youre looking for something really original I would probaly go with the bonsai look or the mountain look. But really, any idea would both look great and function great as a vivarium.

It will be interesting in seeing how it all falls together. Oh, and by the way, sorry for the loss of the past viv... it was beautiful!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:18 PM

I got a queston about the water section of your paladium, does the GS go into the water? ie: is the submerged background covered in GS and silicone?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 PM

The idea number 2 sounds really fascinating. "Downoi", Pogostemon helferi looks a bit like a tree or a shrub, so you might be able to use those around the actual bonsai as smaller trees or shrubs.

"Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them."
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_grey
I really like the bonsai idea, I dont see much of those. The "lots of roots", while it may turn out great, I think will resemble a lot of other vivs out there. If youre looking for something really original I would probaly go with the bonsai look or the mountain look. But really, any idea would both look great and function great as a vivarium.

It will be interesting in seeing how it all falls together. Oh, and by the way, sorry for the loss of the past viv... it was beautiful!

i am looking for something different, the bonsai is somehting i havent seen too much of. i was just thinking last night though, this tank is a little hard to get into. it may be hard to keep a bonsai properly trimmed in this set up. im going to have to figure out an easy way to remove it for trimming, or have it elevated way up in the tank. the only access for this tank is through the top and its pretty tall.

thanks for the concern for the lost tank. it was really hard leaving it in the house with no power for so long. but, it really didnt hurt too bad as a loss, as i got to save most of the animals out of it. that coupled with the fact i lost everything from my reef tank, made this loss a little less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *slddave*
I got a queston about the water section of your paladium, does the GS go into the water? ie: is the submerged background covered in GS and silicone?
there isnt any submerged background and i didnt have any GS in that tank. it was a styrofoam platform of sorts that supported the land section. it was all covered in epoxy, and the bacground over the land was just a large cork "sheet" from blackjungle.

heres a pic from construction of that set up. you can get an idea of how it went together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-
The idea number 2 sounds really fascinating. "Downoi", Pogostemon helferi looks a bit like a tree or a shrub, so you might be able to use those around the actual bonsai as smaller trees or shrubs.
thats is a pretty cool plant. ill look into it more as i get closer to planting. another vote for bonsai means ive got to find a way to easily remove the tree or get to it. :?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM

so did anything ever happen with this setup? i was getting excited to see how it turned out since the one you had to take down was so pimpin.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 AM

The bonsai idea would look great. I have a bonsai ficus in one of my tanks and it is a lot of fun to work on and looks great. Having access to the tree is fairly important because they can take a good bit of work to maintain. One thing to consider is drainage. Most bonsai compatible species of plants need to have really well drained soil, and a lot of them like to have their roots dry out every so often or else they will rot. One way to remedy this would be to have the bonsai on the top of a hill in your tank, which would make it easier to work on and would allow better drainage, you could even not water it as often as the lower levels and still maintain a healthy plant.
Ficus is by far my favorite plant to make bonsais out of, they are very hardy and fast growing.