Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 AM

Default My first vivarium/paludarium. 38g journal.

First off, pics will be added in the next day or two, so hold tight.

The tank is not quite favored in this hobby, from what I have heard. It is a custom acrylic tank measuring 60"wide, 12"tall, 12"deep. I wanted a river, pond, and waterfall, but don't have room for a false bottom. What I did, was get 2 sheets of 3/8" thick acrylic, aquarium safe acrylic sealent/bonder, 185gph pump, silicone tubing, gravel, and pond liner.

It all starts with a 3"tall peice of acrylic that makes a wall from front to back about 10" away from the left wall and is sealed into place making a holding area for water, or in this case, a pond which holds 1.6 gallons of water. On the far right side, there is another area in the back corner that holds about .4 gallons of water. It is 4.5" tall and cuts diagonal from the back to the left side. Both the left wall and the far corner wall have a 3/4" hole in them. A 185gph pump sits in the pond and sends the water through the silicone tube to the far right corner holding area for water. The bedding for the frogs fills in the area between the two "bodies" of water, completly hiding the silicone tube(aka viv pipeline). The bedding has a ditch (1"deep, 2" wide) going from the right holding area to the pond. The ditch is covered with pond liner and is held down by river rocks(gravel) and runs off back into the pond. Also in the pond in the back left corner there is a box 3"wide, 3"deep, 10" tall. A small powerhead sits in the pond which is also connected to a silicone tube, that pumps water into the "box" or in this case, an enormous waterfall. The water falls down 7" back into the pond. The waterfall tower will be covered by gravel and the pumps will be covered with the gravel as well(gravel siliconed on the pump) and moss grown on the cords for hiding purposes. After this comes the greatstuff backround. Tell me what you think so far? No frogs are even being considered yet....I'll have this run for AT LEAST 3 months before frogs may get added.

Adam