Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Shelf #1 complete

Finally picked up a couple of these industrial racks from Lowes and decided to put one of them up last night. Here are the results. As soon as we get some of this furniture and junk cleared out of the den, I'll be able to set the second one up and line it with the rest fo my tanks as well as more. I could have fit more tanks onto this shelf, but decided against it as most of these tanks were designed as stand-alone and not meant to be used on a rack which limited my space a bit.

-Bill J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 PM

awesome setup. what youngins are in the rearing tanks? and where do you get or what do you use for the plastic inbetween the lid and top?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Shelf #1 complete

Looks good bill, racks save so much room. :-) Which makes room for more.

If I ever get a free second at work I will order my glass for 3 more tanks.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:24 PM

the tanks look fantastic, but i dont really think i like the "industrial" look. I have one of these shelves that i keep my orchid tanks in and i framed the posts and shelves (just on the front) with premade floor molding. it's just a stained carved piece of wood that you would put along the floor in your house, and it makes the setup look more clean and finished. it's only 8 cents a foot too =)
Old 02-27-2004, 03:36 PM

The rearing acrylics on the middle shelf are holding some of my juvenile thumbs...reticulatus and ventrimaculatus. The 5 gallon sterlites on top are holding arautus and tinc froglets. The rest of the tanks are breeders.
The sheild between the lids and boxes is simply Saran wrap with a few small holes poked through the center area.

-Bill J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_159
awesome setup. what youngins are in the rearing tanks? and where do you get or what do you use for the plastic inbetween the lid and top?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default I remember....

when we only had on rack!!! :lol:
Old 02-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Default thanks!

Thanks for the comments!! I'm not too crazy about the indusstrial look either but it works much better than my previous arrangement. I may follow in your footsteps and go with the floor molding idea....some nice oak would be great!

-Bill J

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunky
the tanks look fantastic, but i dont really think i like the "industrial" look. I have one of these shelves that i keep my orchid tanks in and i framed the posts and shelves (just on the front) with premade floor molding. it's just a stained carved piece of wood that you would put along the floor in your house, and it makes the setup look more clean and finished. it's only 8 cents a foot too =)
Old 02-27-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I remember....

There is another one of these that I'll get around to before long as there are still quite a few more tanks back in the bedroom that need moving....not to mention the many tadpoles.

-Bill J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa68
when we only had on rack!!! :lol:
Old 02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default shelving...

we use the chrome ones. Right now, we have 4 - 4' shelves double stacked with tads. It is getting crazy! We just had a cobalt drop 16 eggs!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 04:10 PM

I got that same rack :lol: but i drilled shop lights into the shelf boards and worked out great have to throw some picks up soon. I still cant find my digi camera.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:34 PM

Default shoplights

I originally intended to mount my existing shoplight fixtures to the board but they were too long and wouldn't fit in between the frames so I had to hang them just a little ways down. My next shelf will use the 3 foot lights rather than the 4 footers.

-Bill J.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:43 PM

Yeah i had trouble at first but i redid the shelves so the 4foot would work. i put my havier tanks on bottom and lighter tanks on top although it is sturdy i wouldn't recommend to people as it not as secure as just putting it togather like they tell you too.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:21 PM

Default 3 ft lights?

I was wondering where you can get 3 foot lights (these are shop lights you are talking about, right?) and their bulbs from? I have one rack that is being under used since it is only 3 feet long and I didn't want to put a 4 foot light one it. Also, how much do they cost?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Mod

3 foot lights are much more expensive. Lower supply so the costs are appreciably higher.

s
Old 02-29-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Scott

Wow, I never really bothered to check the price on them since the 4 foots i use are 4 bucks or so and the bulbs run 2 bucks. Guess I'll just stick with them and poossibly try to find the chrome wire racks. Thanks for that info.

-Bill J.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Scott

Watch the chrome wire ones also. They seem to always offer the 3ft ones on sale, but have yet to see the 4ft ones on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJohnson
Wow, I never really bothered to check the price on them since the 4 foots i use are 4 bucks or so and the bulbs run 2 bucks. Guess I'll just stick with them and poossibly try to find the chrome wire racks. Thanks for that info.

-Bill J.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Actually...

I can't find them stocked at all locally. However, I have worked out an arrangement with the local Lowes and they said they will order them when I need them and *may* stock them in the future. Originally, I intended to use a wire rack aposed to this steel/fiberboard industrial rack but it was 10 bucks cheaper, holds more weight and was readily available.

-Bill J
Old 02-29-2004, 07:53 PM

Whats up Bill?

Man you have changed and really moved forward in the hobby since you started like 2 years ago. Great set-up.

Danny