Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asydabass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Rio branco WOOHOO!!!!

Okay, so I get 2 rio brancos, but I didn't put them together right away because I wanted to let them settle in after being shipped. About 3 weeks after receiving them I heard one calling. The other one blew up, figuratively. She looked gravid as could be. I decided to put them together. So I go and watch my frogs yesterday during a STORM (there's something to that barometric pressure thing) and the male wouldn't shut up!

I sat down in the frog room for around an hour and he called every bit of it. With small intermittent breaks to catch his breath :wink: So, I go down today and I hear him calling his heart out again, but when I open the tank, I see 5 eggs and they all looked fertilized!!!! I am going to try and get a picture up in the next 6 hours. The problem is, it isn't on a leaf where it will fall into the brom axil, it's on one that is lower! Does that make any sense? So should I just see what the parents do? They are still in a temp container with just 2 broms and some wood and moss.

OKay, i'm going to catch my breath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 PM

Hey, that's great news. Keep us posted, I'd love to see some froglets!

Vanzo's, BH imis, Benedicta and Flav's
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 AM

here you can see the whole brom in their temp tank!! She actually went under water in the brom axil, while I was taking this shot!!!

This is a closer picture of the eggs. just a little bit of white left, but they are mostly black!!!

OKay, now I will try and get pics if I end up getting tads from these eggs.

Do these look good to anyone?? I'm sure it's hard to tell from the pic.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:50 AM

They look good so far... no worries on egg placement. Doesn't really matter where in the tank they place the eggs, if the parents are good parents, they will transport the tads where they need to go. It sometimes takes a couple clutches for them to get that part, then again you can say the same for fertilizing a clutch and yours didn't have much of a problem with that lol.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:27 AM

Thats awesome man! Keep us posted on how they do.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 AM

The really good thing that i actually like about purchasing FR/WC pumilio is that most seem to already be good, experienced parents.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:42 AM

Yeah, these seem to know something already! So, I think I might put 2 more broms that hold pleny of water in there, so they can deposit each tad in a different brom if they choose to do that. Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:37 AM

Do that and put some film canisters in there too.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 AM

I second the film canister idea. If at all possible, place it "under" something. Such as, stick it to the glass just below where a brom leaf is. Give the top of the canister some cover. Am I making sense?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM

perfect sense!!! It is being done as soon as I get off of the computer. I'll put the extra brom or two after my final today.

asydabass, I have been so envious of your posts with all of your little froglets!! I hope to get some of my own!!! Also, perhaps I would be interested in the christobal side of things after I get a few!!! :wink:

Also, what orientation do you all normally put your film canisters in? Straight up, horizontal etc?? Filled with water? 1/2 way? very little? I need to know before I put them in.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM

I put the film canisters in vertical and put as much water in as possible. The level really depends on where I punched the whole in the canister. The reason for this is to give them spots to place the tadpoles. It's very easy to monitor the progress if they are in the film canister. You should be fine with only the two borms and some canisters. As long as the broms in there are decent for tadpoles, I wouldn't add any more. The less there is the easier it will be to observe them.

A quick side note. I have taken the film canister with a tad in it, out of the tank for pictures, and put it back and she still took care of it. Not something I recommend doing often, but you can if yu'd like.

Good luck, and keep the pics coming.
kiyitec likes this.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:44 PM

One thing to note about the "seem to be good parents already" bit... we don't know how old these frogs are... its very likely they bred back in panama so they aren't new to the game, good news for us!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 AM

6 more eggs!!! I see at least 4 developing from the first batch. This time she laid in the damndest of crevices. I will get a pic sometime today to show you all, but I don't think they will be able to get to them. Do you think I should move them to the film canisters once I see them about to break out?

I'll show you a picture of what I mean
Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 AM

If you look closely, you can see the rim around the top of the container that I am keeping them in right now. That is where she laid.

Now, you can see a close up of the new eggs. I'll try to get a pic of the developing eggs, but the first one i shot didn' come out right.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 AM

If you had a lid on this container, how did she lay eggs in the rim?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 AM

I don't keep lids on my containers, the frogs are free to come and go as they please. We trust one another :wink:

The area where she layed is lower than where the lid fits on. It sits about an inch to an inch and a half lower than the lid.

Here's the proud mother trying to get rid of me...

here are the developing eggs, but i'm going to try and get a better picture later.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 AM

kewl, congrats. i cant wait to see how the offspring look. i`m waiting to see a couple new additions in my rb tank soon. best of luck, i`d be interested in swapping some offspring as they look to be the same morph.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:26 PM

WE have froglet!!! hopefully that will turn plural after i give the tank a good look through. I hadn't heard the male calling for a couple days so I opened it up and pulled a brom back and sure enough, a little guy peering at me tucked down in a little brom crevice!!! I will be getting my new camera next week to give better shots, but I will try and get a shot with the my buddies.

(in a couple months, I will be purchasing the sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro!!!) I'm excited to bombard you all with pictures all of the time. Something to give back since you all have been so helpful and patient with me!!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:36 PM

congrats, awesome news!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Wow, two months from egg to froglet seems really quick, but the faster the better and if they can do it more power to em... and congrats!!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Hope this means some extra males will be available soon...

1.1 -- D. pumilio "Man Creek"
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM

I can't find my male in the tank anymore!!! I tore it up just 3 minutes ago, trying to make sure everything was going good, and I can't find him. I'm kind of freaked out. The little guy hopped out of the brom this time when i disturbed him and hopped right onto the side of the temp tank.

No real definitive marks, and he is tiny. 1/4 the size of a dime. Orange body, dark legs, some markings below the surface that I'm sure will come with age. I'm excited about the tad, but nervous about the dad!!!

I threw a bunch of springs in there and some melanos to get him growing!!! We will see what happens.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 PM

Unless you left the lid off or not tight, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Lamasi that I have seen 3 times since I got him while the other two are out and about all the time and everytime I get nervous that he might have died, I find himin a new hiding spot. There are so many more hiding spots in a viv than we ever see and he probably just found one of those. Give it sometime and all will be good.