Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM

Default My first venture into foam backgrounds (and slate)

Not that you can really see either in the final product, but what looked like this not too long ago:

The soon to be home for my Nicaraguan Auratus. I've got some finishing touches to do on the background, but here it is at the 95% complete stage:

My plant staple doing it's job. Simple and it's so nice to for mounting in soft materials.

My Male Nic Auratus (taken through a dirty glass top):

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 10:28 PM

The tank looks nice. Any other plants you got planned to go in there? Take more pictures!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM

At the moment, I'm not going to add anything. The sag and the creeping fig wil take over the left side of the tank and the taller plant in the front will take care of that, which leaves the very top of the tank for plants. I've got a bagonia up there and some spag moss, so I'm going to let them do their thing and go from there. I'm not sure how larger the broms are going to get so I'm keeping them as is (N. Rubiflora, N. Sara Head, N. Fireball x ampinela (sp), N. Smitii (?) and I'm not sure about the 5th one) The pain about this tank is that most of it is very very dark because of the wood placement and its depth. The ground cover is leaf litter because of this and after all, this is an Auratus tank.

I probably botched those brom names because I don't have the tags from them where I'm at now.

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaced
At the moment, I'm not going to add anything.
Congrats on a nice looking tank and especially knowing when to say "enough" with the planting--too many tanks I see look fantastic when first planted and then begin to REALLY fill in. In a matter of months, its too choked and plants need to be removed. My tanks look "spartan" when first put together but give them a few months and the look just as I had intended.
Scott
Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 AM

Man, That Looks Great! Very original.

What size is that tank?

www.socal-rc.com
Old 06-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Thanks, it's a 25g.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Nice tank! How much light/what lights do you have over that?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 PM

In that shot there's four 4' GE daylight bulbs (tempory) - same light setup I use over my 75g and will use over my plywood tanks. When it gets its own lights, there will be four 24" daylight bulbs. The screen top and the light in the room being off contribute to the tank being dim in the pictures, but the tank isn't bright by any means to begin with.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM

The pieces of wood add a lot to this setup...did you collect them yourself? Planning on allowing anything to climb over em?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:21 PM

mike, what kind of silicon did you use? Did it have the bioseal on it?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 PM

i agree with Scott. too many of the tanks these days are wya to overplanted (included a couple of miine ). the ones with the hardscape exposed are the more beautifual and natural tanks to me.

Mike youve done a good job balancing air space, wood, and substrate. and i really like the slate wall. im sure that took quite a bit of time to get like it is. it turned out great!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 PM

I did collect the wood about four years ago. I had an opportunity to get some Osage Orange (Hedge Apple) wood from my cousin's place and since some of it looked cool I did - now I wish I could get more. I'm going to let the vining plants do their thing, but I have a feeling the creeping fig will take over the top of the tank and the club moss will take the bottom of the tank.

That tank has about three different kinds of silicone in it, GE I, GE II, and GE II Roofing (I think?...), all are black and non had bioseal. I use GE I usually so I'm not concerned about the bioseal extravangsa.

Thanks for the complements about the space useage. I am a big advocate of making my tanks have depth to them, and letting the hardscape make the tank look cool. It's impressive to see a huge viv with lots of plants, but when that's all to look at the tank looses it's "repeat viewing" ability to me - I'm not a big fan of the Dutch vivs as one could imagine.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Great looking tank! I agree, the hardscape looks fantastic, and not over-planted.

You'll really love the Osage Orange. I've had mine in my tank for about 5 years now, and still no signs of breaking down AT ALL. If you can find some exposed roots, I think those make the best pieces. Yours look great.