Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Default E. hahneli 'Iquitos'

I got these cute little tykes from Mark Pepper at Understory today (props to Marcus Breece for his role as well)....thanks guys the frogs are awesome!!

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM

They are gorgeous Bill, nice pick.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 PM

Very cool. Hahneli are awesome frogs, I think you will really enjoy them.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Mod

The legs seem to be a bit different than other hahneli in the hobby (say that fast!).

s
Old 06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Mod

Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
The legs seem to be a bit different than other hahneli in the hobby (say that fast!).

s
Interesting....these guys are still very young so perhaps the leg coloration will change over time. In any event, if I am successful in getting them to breed we'll have to keep this importation separate from the hahneli already established in the hobby.

Bill
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 AM

I'm already calling the hahneli in the hobby before the "old line" lol. If you compare with pics of the "old line" from Tor's site, you'll notice that the Pepper hahneli have more of a lighter, golden brown on the legs, while the old line have evidently a darker brown with some blue tones getting in there. The "old line" also seems to have more narrow, "cleaner" horse shoe makrings.

Hahneli can very a decent degree by location (compare to Ecuador hahneli from Yeager's Frogs) so these differences are important - the old line and the Pepper line are different localities... different "morphs" you could say lol.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 AM

Any idea what the yellow on the top of their "quads" is for? I'd think if it were flash coloration it'd be further underneath the leg? Cool frogs no doubt and hope they do well for you! I'm liking the 2nd and 3rd photos.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm already calling the hahneli in the hobby before the "old line" lol. If you compare with pics of the "old line" from Tor's site, you'll notice that the Pepper hahneli have more of a lighter, golden brown on the legs, while the old line have evidently a darker brown with some blue tones getting in there. The "old line" also seems to have more narrow, "cleaner" horse shoe makrings.
I don't see a difference at all. I have some hahneli myself which are offspring of a pair that was actually brought from the US to Europe. So they would be 'old line' hahneli.
The brown coloration being somewhat more dark or light can differ a bit between individuals and ofcourse these pics you are comparing have been shot in different ways with different cameras. This can also explain the 'cleaner' horse shoe markings..

Then there's the blue tones. The difference you are seeing is due to the composition of the frog. In Tor's pic you can see alot more of the underside of the frogs hind legs which is blue ofcourse. This blue coloration is also found in Bill's picture... just a little bit less because the frog just isn't showing it to the camera.

Other morphs (sometimes new species) that I've seen usually differ in belly and flashmark coloration. These really seem to be exactly the same to me.. allthough the location where they are found can differ a bit ofcourse but I don't see a reason for keeping these seperate at all.

Cheers,
Remco
Old 06-23-2006, 02:06 AM

very very cool frogs!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM

Remco,

To your point, the 'current' hahneli do have the blue underbody coloration but it doesn't show up well in the photos that I posted.

My thinking at the moment for keeping the Pepper imports separate is that they represent a new bloodline at a minimum. Thanks for your observations about variation.

Bill
Old 06-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I wonder about the flash marks on the arms sometimes as well... not all localities of zaparo have them... there are at least two distinct forms of zaparo, the two flash mark (hind leg), and the 4 flash mark (which is in the hobby). I use the flash marks on the front legs to find the frogs in the tank (stands out again the leaf litter well) but if they crouch and tuck their legs in like when they are hiding or nervous... I'd never see them.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Keeping these seperate because they are a new bloodline seems kinda strange to me. Finally some new blood in the hobby and it's not being used to refresh the old gene pool. ...ofcourse keeping at least a few seperate to maintain this new line for mixing on a later point seems logic..

Kerokero; I thought there where also zaparo without any flashmarks at all.. the parvulus mimic..
Those frogs are such beauties.. I wish I had more room for them.

Cheers,
Remco