Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 PM

Default My Crysto and Rio Branco pairs

Well I finally got my 3 pumilios from SNDF. They arived on time and look really active and healthy. I am hoping that I will be able to form two pairs once I get the fourth pum coming from Will next week. Sure hope I get a male and female of each morph.

Here are the two crystobals. They aren't quite as red as I thought they were going to be, but I still love them.

This one is a little redder than the pic shows

Here's the other one. This pic is pretty close to the true color

Here are the two Rio broncos

This one is a lot nicer orange than the pic shows

And here is the other one that I should be getting next week.

What do you all think? are the two pairs the same morph or not? I personally think that they are but I am a little skeptical of the two rios.

Enjoy
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM

The first pair are beautiful! If you don't mind me asking how much do they cost??
Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 PM

thanks

$135 ea. Graduation present (money) Came in just in time

Wish I could get some better pics, they just don't do them justice.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM

I could help you get better pics of them. Just send them over to my place, and I'll get right on that.... :lol:
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM

They look good! BTW, I think it is "San Christobal" and "Rio Branco". Congrats on the new frogs.
Jordan
Old 05-18-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogtofall
I could help you get better pics of them. Just send them over to my place, and I'll get right on that.... :lol:
Gee Antone your such a generous guy :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan B
BTW, I think it is "San Christobal" and "Rio Branco".
Yeah your right, I saw them spelled so many different ways in the begining that I just got used to one.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:49 AM

Well, to be totally accurate, it's San Cristóbal. Guess we can ignore the accent in general use, but there's no "h."

--Diane

1.1 -- D. pumilio "Man Creek"
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 PM

Well I put the two crystos together today to see if I could get one to call. So far I have not heard any calling from either of them. However, I did watch some interesting interactions between the two.

When they were first put in together, they stayed on opposite ends for a few minutes. The larger (only slightly) of the two hopped over two the other pum and they both did "pushups" while looking at eachother. Then the smaller of the two ducked down flat and belly crawled over to the the larger one. Eventually the larger one hopped a few inches away and the small one belly crawled backwards over to where the big one was. At one point the big one put one of its legs on the small frog and the small frog kind of forced his way out from underneeth the other frog (didn't really apear to be an act of agression though). After that they just hung around with eachother, but dont move around to much when I watch them. It appears that they at least feel comfortable staying close to eachother.

Just wondering what your thought were?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 AM

Check out the D. tinc alanis video on the Mist King Resources page and it seems similar to what you are describing... which sounds like animals of the same sex with one more dominant than the other.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 AM

thats what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I can always try to trade once I figure out what sex they are. Thanks for the info Corey, I will check out the vid when I go to school wed. since they have highspeed and I only have dial-up.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Actually it wuz an act of same sex dominance I would imagine the smaller less dominant one would try to escape to the other end of the viv.

But from the way you speak it sounds like it wants to be close to the other one.

TODD
Old 05-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Just because one animal is smaller, doens't mean its less dominant...

You see similar bahavior in bearded dragons (head bobbing instead of pushups) and the bowing down and crawling to the dominant animal is a sign of submission... basically "please don't kick my ass".

This is basically setting up a clear hierarchy where the submissive male knows his place and will probibly be allowed to stay around the territory til a female shows up. The submissive is ALLOWED to be there (not exactly wants to be there - remember these guys can't get away from the territory thanks to the glass walls) because he accepts that he's the submissive. Likely the submissive will never call until moved to its own tank that it can make its own territory.

If you get a female, you'll want to take out the submissive and replace with the female. I imagine when a female shows up the extra male in the territory may not be nearly as welcome, and that could be a case where the dominant would try and chase off the submissive, and where the submissive would try and escape (and needs to be removed ASAP).
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 AM

I just want to clarify that the pums were only temporarily placed together and are now sepparated. I only had them together for a couple of hours to try and determine sex. I believe that they are both females because I have yet to hear any calling. I think that at least one of them needs to age a little bit more before being 100% sure on the sex though.

I was pretty sure that what I observed was an act of submisiveness to the other frog. I have just never witnessed this kind of behavior with any of my frogs before. Ususally I have just seen full blown attacks which resulted in the sepparation of the frogs of course.

Thanks for you insight Corey and Todd
Old 05-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Paul...you really should trim your fingernails... :lol:

Old 05-28-2006, 11:28 PM

Hmm, cute. :wink:

Those are Will's wifes fingernails. I think her name is Aubrie.

Wait I'll save you the trouble.
"Oh sure they are" :wink:
Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 AM

Well unfortuatley my rio turned up dead today (third pic down). I'm really bummed about it. I just don't underatand it. He was one of the healthiest looking ones that I had. The only thing that I can think of is that I pulled him out and placed him on a pesticide free plant to try to get a better pic yesterday and he hopped off of my bed and onto the carpet. I can't imagine a small drop like that hurting a frog since they are built for jumping around like that, but I just can't understand what else might have done it. Maybe it stressed him out to much to be put on the leaf by me for the pics. The weird thing is that he has not been in contact with other frogs and has been in a very spacious tupperware container for quareteen. Whatever the case I am taking a hands off policy from now on. If I can't get a decent pic in the viv I just wont have a pic.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss Paul. And such an expensive one too. Just be satisfied in knowing that this is a lesson we should all learn from: Handle them as little as possible, they are small and VERY fragile.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:14 AM

Thanks Steve, I'm still having trouble believing that it was anything I did, but you never know. Sometimes WC frogs just die.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:15 AM

I got your pm, that really sucks. I've had a few close calls when feeding one of my Rios too. That little bugger is a rocket butt and I've had to get him from under my rack twice since I've got him. I've since switched to using a different kind of conatiner for this reason. I would put the blame on stress as opposed to the fall, especially since this is an import.