Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Member's Frogs & Vivariums (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/)
-   -   Looking for ideas for setting up a green legged lamasi tank. (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/11645-looking-ideas-setting-up-green-legged-lamasi-tank.html)

Grassypeak 05-03-2006 04:04 PM

Looking for ideas for setting up a green legged lamasi tank.

I have a 20 high which will be drilled to allow the drainage layer to overflow out into the house waste system. Iíve already received some good advice from successful people, but would love to see how others are breeding these guys. Pictures please. Donít worry if itís not beautiful :oops: , Iím more interested in what works. :P

elmoisfive 05-03-2006 04:16 PM

Chris,

Here is a picture of my 20 H that was intended to be a temporary quarantine viv for my green legged lamasi pair but they started breeding in it so I've left them there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 5_1510.jpg

A few plants, plenty of leaf litter and film cannisters that they are using as tadpole deposition sites.

Bill

Grassypeak 05-03-2006 04:20 PM

Many thanks Bill. I was looking for that shot. Any advice on husbandry?

How much misting?
How wet is the tank?
How often do you feed?
What sex ratio do you have?

sports_doc 05-03-2006 04:30 PM

Got this in b/f Bill had a chance sorry.

Mine are in a completely different set up so I thought this might help.

they are in a 20H vert. 4 broms, some broad leaf ferns, peperomia..multiple shelfs of wood in a foam/coco back ground.

They spend 90% of time in a sigle brom on the floor. The tank has a pond in the first 2-3 inchs of the front (entire 'length' of the vert position) and they are in the water often.

They breed 50:50 in the brom or film containers, horiz, no water.

If you want to see them (they are shy) you may want to skip the broms.

I bet more than one DBer keeps them in flooded tanks. and I bet they would do well that way or 50% water bottoms, ect. They do use the height of the 20 vert but only in the morning hours....not as much glass walking as imis/intermedius do..very little poo on the glass :-)

remember they are notoriously shy and I find, very fast..open lids with caution.

Misting is a must for breeding...if I forget for a few days or week (tank is sealed no vents), and burst them with 2-3x/day misting on a weekend....eggs that night for sure..

Tads are huge! and very nice to look at.

Shawn

elmoisfive 05-03-2006 04:34 PM

Chris,

The viv contains a 1:1 though if one can extrapolate from panguanas, green legged should breed well in a group setting given enough space.

I feed them every day, dusting with 1:1 RepCal:Herptivite though given the size of the frogs involved, the number of flies added is relatively small (perhaps no more than 10 per frog). I will 'pamper' them at times by giving them either wingless or golden melanogaster but they normally get the flightless variety. The viv was seeded with springtails and I'll throw some in from time to time but that has tapered off as I've needed all my springtails for froglets.

The viv is not as wet as some I maintain - I haven't measured the humidity but there is no water condensation on the glass. I lightly mist every other day. Given that there are multiple film cannisters with water in them, if the parents need to take a dip, they have that opportunity.

Bill

Grassypeak 05-03-2006 04:42 PM

Thanks Shawn, I got a similar story from Cindy Dicken. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

elmoisfive 05-03-2006 05:05 PM

Shawn,

I am always intrigued by how people can get good results with the same frogs using very different approaches. I remember reading Alexander Stubbs sharing that his lamasi liked their viv flooded for best breeding results and thinking I might have to go that route with the panguanas only to have them fire up like crazy in a relatively dry viv. Right now I'd be afraid to put them in a flooded viv - they are currently working six clutches of eggs simultaneously :shock:

So I just copied the conditions roughly roughly when I got the green legged lamasi and so far I've morphed out 3 froglets and have 20 tads in the water from this one pair that I received 4 months ago....weird but I won't complain.

I concur about the absence of 'poo walking' - one of the things I can't stand about imis and intermedius. I rarely see the green leggeds but when I do it is always a treat. Plus the tadpoles look like circus clowns :P

Bill

gary1218 05-03-2006 05:34 PM

PERFECT timing on this thread Chris. I JUST got in three gl lamasi, 1.2, from Phil Tan about 3 hours ago :D

Grassypeak 05-03-2006 06:09 PM

Thanks again Bill,

One of the reasons that I posted this, is that different people have been telling me vastly different things. It appears that these guys may not be all that picky about their breeding conditions. I think I may opt for a dryer tank as no condensation on the front glass is nice.

Gary,
Good luck with them. I got my 0.0.3 from Aaronís Frog Farm but they are Philís line.