Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 04-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Default silicone on cork background?

I have a quick question. I'm putting 4"x12" cork bark panels on my 15G for a background and I was wondering if I need to cover the entire glass with silicone (GE II Window/Door) first, and then attach the cork, or if I could just put silicone on maybe 5 or 6 spots on the cork and attach it that way. Basically, is it ok to have really tiny air gaps between the cork bark and the glass since the cork isn't perfectly flat? I guess it might not matter either way, but I thought mold might grow behind my cork bark if I don't lather it up with silicone or Great Stuff. I've searched other posts and couldn't find an answer. Thanks for the help!

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 03:26 PM
TWI/ASN

I think that either way would be fine. Make sure though that there is no way for a frog to get behind the cork and some how get stuck in one of these spaces. I don't know what species you are putting in there but some of the smaller thumbnails can squeeze through some small gaps. Good luck with the tank construction.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Agreed, either will work.

Fill any gaps with ground peat moss. When wet, it can be pressed into very small cracks easily.

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)

Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Finally i can help someone! :lol:

Heres how mine is done.

I can BARELY put a buisness card between de window and the cork

The silicon is normal GE II, same thing as for coco background.

Hope that helps
Jeepee

Old 04-21-2006, 08:27 PM

my cork wasn't that flat so i didn't bother with silicone I just trimmed the pieces so they were close to an exact fit and pried them in together it was a very tight fit. any remaining gaps I filled with spagnum moss. I actually used the littli plant id stick that comes with new plants to shove the moss into the tight spaces. worked great. now I just keep on eye out for shrinkage of the filler(moss) and stuff more if needed which I haven't needed to do so far.

Funny thing about the cork bark though, my imis love it. they hide out in all the tiny little crevices that exist in the natural surface. I spent 30 min or so today looking for one of my frogs, checked all the broms and under every leaf (from the outside) when I saw this tiny spot of color peeking at me from inside this little hole in the cork. sooo cute. I keep the cork wet now and fill all the little holes with water. I only wonder how I will ever know if they lay any eggs in there :?