Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 04:49 AM

Default Temporary vivarium/guarantine vivarium

Hello all,
Here's one of my completed, but simple, vivariums that is now awaiting its first tenants! The tank was initially built to be used as a small custom reef tank but a local reefer decided to get out of the hobby so I picked it up cheap and turned it into a dart frog home! Its 36"x16"x16", roughly 35 gallons. Lighting is provided by 2 24" dual T5 light strips with 4 12K bulbs.
This will most likely be a quarantine tank, or perhaps turned back into a SPS frag tank once my larger vivaria is completed. Hence, no false bottom, waterfalls, foam structures, fancy planting, or such.
Just something simple, yet attractive and functional for a few frogs I might pick up this weekend. I picked up that little water fountain at Walmart for $12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 05:02 AM

I'd highly recommend reading this tread about quarantine tanks: Link Very nice looking tank, but most would consider it a display tank not an appropriate as aquarantine tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 03-06-2006, 05:07 AM

Thanks for that link. I guess it is a bit overdone and certainly not sterile enough for a true quarantine tank. Perhaps it should just be called a temporary tank until the larger one is completed
I'll most likely keep it up and running for another species of dart anyway. I'm getting somewhat bored with my reef anyway, so I doubt I'll be setting up a frag tank
I foresee darts becoming my new addiction!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM

sonofg,
very nice QT. i actually have a little more advanced QT than most on this board reccomend also. i tend to explain it as smaller temporary housing instead of QT. it still serves a lot of the same purposes allowing you to monitor your frogs eating habits and activity without having to keep a frog on paper towels. its definatly easier to monitor them in a small set up (no matter how advanced) than it is in a big display. also, i feel you are putting less stress on the frog by keeping them in a more comfortable environment (something i dont think paper towels and a coco hut qualify as).

i tend to lean the same way on SW fish QT....all the same philosophy.

BTW, WELCOME to DB and the great frog hobby! ive followed a few of your projects on ReefCentral, and cant wait to see what type of big set up you have planned. your documentation and workmanship will be much appreciated if it rivals that of some of your reef threads.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Khamul

I like that tank. Most of us cant grow a shroom to save our lives, so you put in fake ones. Nice.
You know, a salamander might look good there, but you would have to find a totally terrrestrial one.

So where did you put the Mallorn trees that are so akin to Galadhrim?

And I don't see any Elanors either. :wink:
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 PM

2mnytnx- Thanks for the compliments. Yep, that's me on RC as well. Funny how so many of us have similar interests in nature and these beautiful little creatures.
The larger vivarium will be 42"wide x 36"deep x 48" tall which will sit right next to the 240 gallon cube tank you've seen on RC. I'll be able to watch the reef and the rainforest just by turning around on a stool!
I'll be building another column style stand for this vivarium, similar to the stand under my 240. I'm designing an interesting canopy for this vivarium to hide the lighting as well.
Khamul1of9- I see we have another Lord of the Rings fan on board! Excellent! I'm definately in good company! I sure could use a little bit of Galadriel's 'soil' for my vivaria. Imagine the growth with a pinch of that!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Khamul

We could only dream.
If we could market that stuff, :twisted:
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM

some hobbies just run hand in hand.

glad to hear your viv stand will be similar to your other. please post progress as you did on RC. i think a lot of the custom tanks that we are seeing popping up need to have more detailed journals. and you did a wonderful job on the reef tank and stand.

.........and im a fan of LotR also