• 1 Post By Rain_Frog
  • 1 Post By Rain_Frog
  • 5 Post By Rain_Frog
  • 3 Post By Rain_Frog
  • 1 Post By josh_r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Default breeding pulchra

Is anyone breeding their pulchra? I have several healthy tadpoles. I first thought the tadpoles would be small like madagascariensis, but they grow considerably larger than they do-- same size as expectata. Hopefully they'll morph out large and I won't have to rely on springtail bins.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain_Frog For This Useful Post:
Logqan (07-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 04:52 AM

Default Re: breeding pulchra

Still not breeding but they are calling. The males are always ready I just can't get my females to follow. I can feel it though it will happen soon!
Logan
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM

you should have kept your other mantellas, even if they were not breeding so your pulchra could hear their calling!

Pulchra tadpoles have been very easy for me to raise and are very hardy. I would still think about setting up a large, springtail-seeded container for the froglets.

I am trying out the compost froglet vivarium and so far the madagascariensis froglets living in it are doing okay. It may be more crucial that they have access to a wide variety of beneficial microbes and microfauna to ingest than UVB and calcium gluconate.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Nice work, Doug. My group of the blue pulchra is still in QT but will be coming out soon, hopefully in time for fall breeding.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 AM

one pulchra has arms now
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 AM

That was quick! glad to hear it. We need some tad pics Doug!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 AM

Pics of the little guy with arms, P.L.E.A.S.E
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM

I moved several to the froglet bin. As I suspected, they do in fact, morph out the same size as mads. So, my first guess was right despite some of the tads were fairly large. I'll go ahead and innoculate the pulchra container with materials from my aging compost pile outside.

Raising madagascariensis froglets has been much easier so far. I still have issues with tail / finrot with the tadpoles, but low mortality in the developing froglets. The youngsters placed in the compost bin a little over two weeks ago are growing and developing some color. The weight looks good. The froglets tend to gather around rotten banana peels which attract a lot of springtails and other arthopods. I have not fed fruit flies or used supplements but there are tons of microbuglets roaming the substrate that are visible with the naked eye. Last year I had issues with froglets getting gassed from CO2 buildup. I made sure to drill many holes at the substrate line and at the top of the container for an air current to develop like in European vivariums. So far so good.

My next step is to purchase calcium gluconate and use UVB over the froglets. The froglets rarely try to jump out of the bin at this age (most plants are low to the ground), but they sometimes climb the sides. I think putting a styrofoam or wooden barrier facing inward as a temporary lid will prevent most escapes and allow me to use an open top container to let UVB penetrate the container.

I understand using materials from outside is risky, but ever since I started using soil and decaying leaf litter from outside I've had fewer problems raising madagsascariensis. I haven't had amphibians unfortunately in my backyard for years, so chytrid doesn't worry as much as it used to. Also, harvesting from the compost pile isn't as risky as going out into the woods and collecting soil.
Colleen53 likes this.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 07-22-2011 at 07:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain_Frog For This Useful Post:
Golden State Mantellas (07-22-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:12 AM

another update:

I've been sprinkling calcium powder on top of the soil and blasting the frogs with Zoomed's PowerSun once a week-- both mads and pulchra receive UVB.

The oldest mads (1-2 months) are now the size of froglets that were 4 months old or so from last season. I still don't know if they're going to become as large as the parents, but the growth rate of this batch is equivalent to other mantella species, basically double of what it was last season. If you remember, mads grew much slower but I didn't use as much microfauna or UVB. Also, coloration is developing earlier than froglets raised "the old way."

I'm having similar results with the pulchra however I did not use anything from outside in this enclosure, just a lot of springtails and a lot of space.

Madagascariensis froglets tend to be black coffee brown but the pulchra froglets are becoming a chocolate brown.

If they would just stay still, I'll get some pictures!
Logqan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

My Madagascariensis froglets are doing well, Doug. They eat melas and love springtails. If you give them enough food, they will grow faster. They are almost always out too!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM

that's good to hear. The froglets I gave you, Colleen, were raised in a container with soil from outside to introduce microfauna and beneficial microbes. However, the microfauna level was not what I'm introducing now and I did not use UVB. That batch of froglets were much more active, colorful, and grew faster than the froglets raised in small shoeboxes with less microfauna.

I hope you Oophaga and Atelopus people are reading this post. I'm sure you could apply the same techniques I'm using for Atelopus and Oophaga to raise healthy froglets.

I need to figure out how I can blast my froglets with UVB and be able to "forget about them" for the whole hour. Usually, I open the top and I do chores down in my frog room while the UVB bulb is running. That requires me to check on them every 15 min or so to make sure the froglets are not trying to climb the sides. I've lost my fair share of froglets to escape. They usually don't unless they're disturbed, and putting food in the container for them to chase keeps them on the ground.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM
TWI/ASN

Screen top? or just lay screen on it fiberglass or aluminum depending on the bulb type.
http://www.azdr.com/ProductDetails.a...=BK-0793828937
Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

screen top blocks 50% of UVB bulb according to studies. I have to elevate the bulb high enough because of heat and that reduces the level of UVB already.

When the froglets are very young, they have little interest in crawling out of the tank. Once they grow to the right size, I don't need UVB because they'll be large enough to eat fruit flies. The 3 month mad froglets are the size of 6-7 month froglets I raised last season.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
screen top blocks 50% of UVB bulb according to studies. I have to elevate the bulb high enough because of heat and that reduces the level of UVB already.

When the froglets are very young, they have little interest in crawling out of the tank. Once they grow to the right size, I don't need UVB because they'll be large enough to eat fruit flies. The 3 month mad froglets are the size of 6-7 month froglets I raised last season.
Nice progress Doug! I'm glad you are figuring things out. The frogs you sent me are doing quite well and growing. They are all FAT! You breeding any other species right now?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Good to hear from you, Josh. My crocea bred but all tadpoles have been duds this season. I have not tried to breed anything other than mads or pulchra since they take so much work.

I have one bin of healthy pulchra juveniles, and one bin of newly morphed froglets. For mads-- one bin of juveniles and another of newly morphs, but I'm setting up a third soon for another batch of newly morphs.

Here's a breakdown for those trying to wade through these posts. The trick to breeding mads and pulchra in a nutshell requires the following:

1. tadpoles require good aeration / sponge filter and a wide variety of carotenoids so the flashmarks develop properly. Salvinia is the best plant for mantella tadpoles as it does a great job keeping the water clean and newly morphs can easily climb onto them. Therefore, you can easily move froglets that gather on the floating plants and move them into the baby bin.

2. Most newly morphed froglets are too small to eat fruit flies. If you try and feed mostly flies to the few frogs that can eat them (the rest perishing), you'll end up with froglets only 75% the size of ones raised at a young age mostly on microfauna the first two months.

3. Take this chytrid risk if you choose, but it was worth it for me. I used garden soil from my compost pile that is teaming with beneficial microbes and microfauna and used that as a substrate for the froglets. I mix in calcium carbonate without D3.

4. Give the froglets UVB for about an hour once or every two weeks. Every two weeks seems to work, but that was because I got super busy and didn't get a chance to "blast" them.

5. If you start running out of enough microfauna, have springtail cultures that you can use to extra froglets.

6. Slowly start introducing fruit flies, and voila! good looking mads and pulchra

I'll take pictures when I have more time as I've been extremely busy lately.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:57 AM

3 month old pulchra froglet:

3 month old mad froglets:

You can really start noticing the differences between the two species at this age. Pulchra are chocolate brown while mads are grayish or almost black.
JJuchems, Logqan and david.cravens like this.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 PM

They look amazing Doug! great job. The only cb pulchra I have ever seen
Logan
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 AM

Those pulchra are cuuuuuuute!!!! you gonna be offering any up Good job Doug!

Josh
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 AM

you gotta love how some of the mads are turquoise / mint green and some are almost yellow.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

The coloration on them are pretty, BUT my Baroni are beautiful!! Wish you bred Baroni too, Doug I have 3 of them with no calling. DARN!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 PM

okay, I know some of you have mads and pulchra from me, but where are your pictures?!?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 AM

Hey Doug, My camera on my phone will not focus well enough to take pics of the frogs, but here is what the mads are currently living in until I guild them a nicer set up.

Rain_Frog likes this.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM

dimensions? Ha, a nicer setup! Mine is just a 20L but the glass has so much algae and gunk that you have to look down into the tank to see the frogs. All it contains is marantha, pothos, and philodendron
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM
TWI/ASN

I want to get on the next set of pulchra. They are such beautiful frogs
Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
dimensions? Ha, a nicer setup! Mine is just a 20L but the glass has so much algae and gunk that you have to look down into the tank to see the frogs. All it contains is marantha, pothos, and philodendron
Hahaha yeah man! Something bigger and with a stream feature! The dimensions on that are 22 wide x 18 deep x 19 tall. I want something at least 24 wide for them. Maybe a little deeper too
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Hey Doug...How many mantellas are in that tank? Mine are all doing fine(7 of them) in a ten gallon set-up.