Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Mantella
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 AM

Default cowani stories?

For those people that are old time frog keepers, did any of you used to keep cowani before the import ban was implemented? Some people I've talked to said they were $25 a piece back in the day, like BJ pumilio, histos, and lehmanni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Default Re: cowani stories?

Yes, I would get them in during the month of January in my Madg. shipments, real small amounts at the super high price of $12.00 ea.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I'd get them at the pet store for $12.50 a piece in a 6 lot (from Xtreme Reptiles I think).

There was a local wacko who bred mantellas at the Lincoln Park Zoo who used to buy most of them (along with other species). He actually had a ton of breeding success and we'd get CB mantellas back for store credit. He kept them on a large chunks of "untreated" furniture foam with plastic plants and shards of terracotta pots. The frogs would lay their eggs on the foam under the shards and he would just float the tads off when they hatched by pulling the foam and submerging it in enough water to just cover the egg mass.

He no longer speaks to me because I didn't credit him properly with my dart frog breeding success (which oddly enough didn't use any of his mantella suggestions). Also probably because I call him a local wacko.

All grown-ups were children first. (But few remember it). -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ranitomeya.com | @Terribilis | Facebook

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM

I remember when I kept Mantellas in the 90s I was always looking for cowani but I never saw any at shows. I do remember seeing bernhardi & aurantiaca for $12 retail back then.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
There was a local wacko who bred mantellas at the Lincoln Park Zoo who used to buy most of them (along with other species). He actually had a ton of breeding success and we'd get CB mantellas back for store credit. He kept them on a large chunks of "untreated" furniture foam with plastic plants and shards of terracotta pots. The frogs would lay their eggs on the foam under the shards and he would just float the tads off when they hatched by pulling the foam and submerging it in enough water to just cover the egg mass.
So, did he breed cowani?

And what kept you guys from keeping the cowani for yourselves at 12 bucks a piece
Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM

I remember seeing them for sale on Glades Herps pricelist. Mid 90's, ..35.00 was the asking price. To rich for my blood back then. When the asking price for Goldens was 20.00.(I can kick myself in the butt for not buying them now, back then.)Most people talk about the great lover that got away,while I talk about the great frog.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM

I wonder how much cowani would cost now?

I've talked to other people and said cowani were never common though in imports.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
So, did he breed cowani?

And what kept you guys from keeping the cowani for yourselves at 12 bucks a piece
Yeah, he did. The one species that I know gave him problems were whatever were called betsilio at the time.

I never had any real interest in Mantellas, though we had an oceanic 65 that was set up as a Golden display like the base of a tree with almost no plants, cork dripwall covering the back and black european aquatic plant substrate along with some moss chunks on the ground. That thing was awesome. I always hated selling my displays.

Quote:
I wonder how much cowani would cost now?

I've talked to other people and said cowani were never common though in imports.
The guy at Xtreme knew I was into frogs and always gave us first crack, pretty much because I would take the stuff that came in as random filler from south and central america with the hopes of scoring rocket frogs or other odd dendrobatids. He would have 100's of the regular species and maybe 50 cowani and other oddballs. One time he sent a nearly sold yellow (no black on the back at all) baroni or madagascarensis.

All grown-ups were children first. (But few remember it). -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM

One thing to remember is that in earlier days, the name M. cowani was being used for the Painted Mantellas. I don't know if it was mostly M. baroni or M. madagascariensis that was being imported, but they were all called M. cowani. I honestly don't remember what the true M. cowani was being called at the time, but I think it just had a descriptive name. (After giving it a little more thought, I really want to say that they were being called M. betsileo, but Chris' post above makes me question my memory)
I remember it coming in in smaller numbers and less frequent and having a price tag of around $25. Of course others here may have been better connected to the wholesalers than I and were offered them at the better prices.

Last edited by Manuran; 11-17-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 PM

I remember seeing what I *think* was cowanii at the local pet store growing up, labeled as 'halloween frogs' - I think they were $30ea.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Chris, Last year when I went to check out Chicago Reptile House in Orland I saw some tanks full of mantellas and I noticed most of them didn't have flash marks. They were pulchra, crocea, and expectata. They told me some guy from the area comes with them. I didn't end up buying any which was a mistake. I tried to get some info out of a buddy to try to get in contact with the guy and get some direct from him but he didnt leave info. Could be the same guy.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 PM

back in the day.(90's) Managascar was wide-open for exports. stuff was being exported, even before having a chance to be described by science.Being new,M. Cowani was one of those that took on several different names.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks View Post
I remember seeing what I *think* was cowanii at the local pet store growing up, labeled as 'halloween frogs' - I think they were $30ea.
That's what they were labeled as on the wholesale sheet. Halloween Mantella Frogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logqan View Post
Chris, Last year when I went to check out Chicago Reptile House in Orland I saw some tanks full of mantellas and I noticed most of them didn't have flash marks. They were pulchra, crocea, and expectata. They told me some guy from the area comes with them. I didn't end up buying any which was a mistake. I tried to get some info out of a buddy to try to get in contact with the guy and get some direct from him but he didnt leave info. Could be the same guy.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 PM

This is the rumor I heard from an importer-- baroni and pulchra will NOT be imported next year.

Milos are no longer imported, crocea I gaurantee won't be pretty soon. Already, the most beautiful crocea morph, the lime green form, has dropped out of the hobby. That is one frog I've been searching for with no luck. Expectata have failed to get imported. Blushing expectata were oddballs mixed in with ebenaui and standard expectata and you can't find them anymore.

Just goes to show you gotta grab what you can or start networking with other people for later trades.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 11-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Back 6 years ago or so when I started getting into vivs and darts I went to our local Tulsa show. There were no darts but a couple vendors the first time or two I went had a ton of mantella including cowani I think. I distinctly remember seeing black with orange on the legs, no goldens but maybe some milos If I remember correctly. I came real close to getting the cowani since of the species they had there they were probably my fav, maybe expecta also but passed on both. Were neat but I had visions of blue and red frogs dancing in my head

Eventually though the mantella bug bit me and at one time I had goldens, milos, expecta, blushing, viridis and betsilio. Ice storm took most of them out. The blushing died during a brown out I think. Not sure about the viridis, I think I may have lost one or 2 before the ice storm and then the rest during it...I never saw those guys unless I dug through the tank, probably the most shy frogs I've ever owned so not sure how many I actually had when the storm struck.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

are you sure they were cowani? Because cowani were no longer imported after 2003.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Most people talk about the great lover that got away,while I talk about the great frog.
If any of you guys played Pokemon, cowani would be equivalent to Mew. Pokeball go!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
TWI/ASN

....trying to get more "in touch" with the dart frog cousin species - Mantella...

so....

How may hobbyists, not zoos, are working with M. cowani ?

I only know one, in MD.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
are you sure they were cowani? Because cowani were no longer imported after 2003.
Ya it could be I have the time frame wrong though...maybe I was there earlier then I think? Or they were long term captives or even CB...I think I remember the guy telling me how rare they were even, and that imports were about to stop or they were no longer being imported...so long ago I can't remember but I distinctly remember seeing cowani in person at a show. I also remember considering getting them because most of the ones were orange, green, yellow, brown etc... but they were mostly all black except for the orange, and I remember thinking "well I like black, maybe I should get those". I wanna say they were like $40-60 each also, don't remember exactly. I even think I remember he may have said they were CB but I was skeptical because I knew enough then to know most mantella were WC...but again not sure. Damn you brain!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM

That I'm aware of, there are only two people (knowingly) in the United States that are successfully breeding cowani right now. I personally know both of them but they prefer to remain anonymous.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Three, I believe, that I know of.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Yes and let us hope those three can take a frog that is all but forgotten in the hobby and bring it around like it never left.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logqan View Post
Yes and let us hope those three can take a frog that is all but forgotten in the hobby and bring it around like it never left.
Amen...I think I knew 2 at one time...more forgetfulness. Now just one, assuming he is still having luck. Which I can't be sure of since I haven't kept up much with mantella the last couple years. Maybe I know more and don't even know it!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 AM
TWI/ASN

I used to see them several years ago at the local pet store for $30-35 labeled as "Halloween frogs" and various other mantella species for $15 under "assorted Mantellas." If I had any idea what they were at the time, I would have surely picked a few up. I remember one time I almost did end up getting some, I really wish I did. I do know of one person with them, but I don't know if he is having success breeding them. Hopefully we get them going in the hobby.
Bryan
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
From what I hear, it's a time consuming process. Cowani produce fewer, but larger offspring (see the fecundity article). They also take longer to mature. The frogs themselves do not differ much in husbandry requirements but the *knowingly mature, wild caught adults that are breeding now are less than ten, only four or five pairs total. One of these people only had a single froglet morph out from a group of about 10-15 tadpoles. This froglet is doing very well.

So, its reasonable to conclude that the two or three people that are working with them prefer to hold back all offspring which could take a few years before a large enough colony is established.