Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Mantella
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Default Mantella milotympanum

Is anyone having success breeding this species and how difficult are they to keep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Mantella milotympanum

I have friends that are breeding them. I have never bred them, but I keep their sister species, crocea.

Milos aren't difficult to breed. The main problem that some people face are bad egg clutches, just like any other species of mantella. Like all mantellas, they are easiest to breed in groups, and part of the problem is that most people don't have large enough groups to ensure a higher success rate of fertile eggs.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM

I might venture into Mantellas later this year or the first of next year and I will probably start with Golden Mantellas, since captive bred specimens are more widely available and I can probably afford a group of them. The milos are a bit pricey for me to get more than a couple in the short term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
I have friends that are breeding them. I have never bred them, but I keep their sister species, crocea.

Milos aren't difficult to breed. The main problem that some people face are bad egg clutches, just like any other species of mantella. Like all mantellas, they are easiest to breed in groups, and part of the problem is that most people don't have large enough groups to ensure a higher success rate of fertile eggs.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM

while I think aurantiaca are a great frog, I encourage people to work with other species like crocea or pulchra. One reason why milos are hard to find is because not enough people made an effort to breed them when they were available. We used to have the beautiful, lime green morph of crocea and now it is lost because nobody cared. Crocea have not been imported in a while, and pulchra I hear will not be imported next year.

Both species are wonderful animals and crocea is probably my favorite species next to cowani. Now, having captive bred aurantiaca is always more ethical and less risky than dealing with wild caught frogs, so one should take advantage of it when possible. But, with so many people breeding aurantiaca right now, I wouldn't be in a hurry that there won't be any available.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 10-25-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM

I think it would be more rewarding to breed less common varieties. I'm really drawn to the orange/red species. I would prefer the milos, but prices I've seen for froglets are on the order of $300, which would put a group way out of my price range.
Quote:
while I think aurantiaca are a great frog, I encourage people to work with other species like crocea or pulchra. One reason why milos are hard to find is because not enough people made an effort to breed them when they were available. We used to have the beautiful, lime green morph of crocea and now it is lost because nobody cared. Crocea have not been imported in a while, and pulchra I hear will not be imported next year.

Both species are wonderful animals and crocea is probably my favorite species next to cowani. Now, having captive bred aurantiaca is always more ethical and less risky than dealing with wild caught frogs, so one should take advantage of it when possible. But, with so many people breeding aurantiaca right now, I wouldn't be in a hurry that there won't be any available.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
TWI/ASN

Doesn't Understory breed these as well?

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 AM

where have you seen prices that high for froglets?

I have a group of 7 that are going through their winter cycling now.. and should be ready this spring to try again for tads.

Have bred multiple times, but haven't had any success raising tads past leg development.

any suggestions are welcomed...

I am in Idaho, if anyone is near that also keeps mantellas.

their tank, 29 gallon re-scaped this past spring.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 AM

I just checked their site and they do offer them, but there was no information on availability or price, so I sent an inquiry. I'll post what I find out. Thanks for the tip Alex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yours View Post
Doesn't Understory breed these as well?

Alex
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 AM
TWI/ASN

I have been looking for CB milotympanum off and on for the last 2-3 years, and this is hands down my favorite Mantella species. As has been said, people may be breeding them...but raising them to maturity has been a whole different issue. I REALLY hope they aren't lost from the hobby.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 AM

gretchenellie- did you just decide to keep them because no one local wanted them.

shame you didn't want to ship, i would have taken them in a heartbeat.
hope they do well this time for you.

Id take froglets but not at 300 apeice, especially since that is what you wanted for the adult group
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I prefer to sell locally first before shipping, it just makes me really nervous to send out animals when I dont do it on a daily/weekly basis.

Also I had lowered the entire group to $150. and there were still no takers here. Guess I dont have any frog lovers in my state. So yeah, I am just going to keep them and see what happens.

But where are people seeing offspring for $300 a piece? That seems a bit outrageous.. at least to me..
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Dedicated Supporter

$300 is way way too over priced for them.

Understory has them listed on their site but does not have any available. They did not breed this year for them. Or atleast that is the reply I got from them when I asked.

I have had mutiple clutches from mine but have not had any morph. I think next batch I may see about sending them to one of the mantella gurus on the board to see if they have better luck when then.

When I bought my milos I paid a whopping $24.00 each for them. No way would I have even thought of getting a group at $300.00 a piece.

Any one have any input on what they think a froglet should go for?

I have just started heavy feeding and misting mine again. The males started calling heavily again last night so maybe with a little luck things will go better this time.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM

I know there a few others here keeping them but i have never seen them offered cb before. Thought everyone had a "waiting list ". So there wouldn't be much of a need to advertise in public forums.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM

I just heard back from Understory and they said theirs did not breed successfully this year, so they have none to offer. It'd be great if someone could figure out how to consistently breed them since they are critically endangered in the wild.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:58 PM

That was my mistake. I thought I'd found an ad with that price, but I've searched and cannot find it again. It's even possible that I mixed up your ad for the group with an ad for juvies in one of my senior moments.

Sorry for the confusion.

BTW - If you ever decide to ship, put me on the list for sure. And, if I have any reason to travel anywhere near you, I'll give you a call. I'd be willing to give you a fair price. I'd hate to see you only get ~$20 a piece for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenellie View Post
But where are people seeing offspring for $300 a piece? That seems a bit outrageous.. at least to me..
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
TWI/ASN

I think Chad(trow) breeds them, so he should probably know about husbandry for them....

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM

I would take milos (and have been offered already) but I cannot because I have enough frogs I'm working with right now. In fact, I almost loaned out my pulchra, crocea, and mads but decided against it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:
I would take milos (and have been offered already) but I cannot because I have enough frogs I'm working with right now. In fact, I almost loaned out my pulchra, crocea, and mads but decided against it.

I would like to add a couple more to my group so if you happen to run across any and want to thro wmy name into the mix please do.

I always seem to be a day late when the occasional one does pop up or too far away to drive.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 AM
TWI/ASN

I just got another clutch of eggs today from my milos! Last clutch was the first fertile one, but tads deteriorated/ wasted away after about 1 month. This time I will try raising them in individual cups like all other dart tads, instead of communally (that didn't work well last time). If I get anywhere with this clutch I will post it on here.
Bryan
Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 AM

I'm going to say it again-- take it or leave it:

Give a spongefilter with aerator set on low a try! Don't use it though the first few weeks until the tads toughen up, and set it on low. The current is too strong if the tads fight against the current while swimming.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 11-05-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Doug,

Are you saying that the tads do better in larger enclosures in a group setting?

I've been reading up on Mantellas and would really love to take a crack at breeding one of the critically endangered species that is available as captive bred. That's one reason I was considering the Goldens. I would find it rewarding to provide a captive bred source that would contribute to a reduction in collection of endangered wild specimens.

Jim
Quote:
I'm going to say it again-- take it or leave it:

Give a spongefilter with aerator set on low a try! Don't use it though the first few weeks until the tads toughen up, and set it on low. The current is too strong if the tads fight against the current while swimming.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Yep. I raise tadpoles communally in those 4 gallon kis plastic bins.

Maybe you should try and get your hands on expectata? Those are hard to come by these days but very easy to keep.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM

I really like the looks of the expectata, but wouldn't know where to begin to find some.
Quote:
Yep. I raise tadpoles communally in those 4 gallon kis plastic bins.

Maybe you should try and get your hands on expectata? Those are hard to come by these days but very easy to keep.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 AM
TWI/ASN

There's also a great article about raising mantella tads by Tor Linbo in the first or second issue of Leaf Litter Magazine. If you have access, might be worth checking out.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Both morphs of expectata are easy to keep. I like the standards more than the blushings because they are bolder, but I think blushing expectata have nicer coloration as the red / orange coloration does not fade like the blue legs on the standard expectata. Standard expectata's legs are only blue during the dry season when they are less active. The blushing expectata's legs are grayish brown. Standards are also larger than the blushing morph. There is speculation that blushing expectata are from the Isalo Massif region of Madagascar.

Here's an F2 juvenile bred last year

Here's an F1 adult

Here's a WC standard expectata, but the legs are a darker brown compared to the blushing expectata most of the time:
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain_Frog For This Useful Post:
JimO (11-10-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
TWI/ASN

Unfortunately, my clutch of milo eggs was bad. The female is really fat though so I will run the waterfall a little and maybe she will lay another clutch.
Bryan
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 AM

tsk tsk, maybe you folks need to loan me these guys?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM

if you are getting bad eggs its nutritional and/or not cycling. Be sure you are supplementing properly. My milos layed a good clutch so I should have some next spring.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Nice Ray Grats
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Both morphs of expectata are easy to keep. I like the standards more than the blushings because they are bolder, but I think blushing expectata have nicer coloration as the red / orange coloration does not fade like the blue legs on the standard expectata. Standard expectata's legs are only blue during the dry season when they are less active. The blushing expectata's legs are grayish brown. Standards are also larger than the blushing morph. There is speculation that blushing expectata are from the Isalo Massif region of Madagascar.
Wow Doug, those are gorgeous. I wish I could pick some up, but I don't want to get too much to care for and I have two builds to complete in the next month, plus the aquarium I've set up for the Golden tadpoles I'm getting from baita83 this weekend.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellular View Post
if you are getting bad eggs its nutritional and/or not cycling. Be sure you are supplementing properly. My milos layed a good clutch so I should have some next spring.
Well I supplement, but this was sort of an unexpected clutch. I have never been able to fully "cycle" them. They seem to just breed on their own. When I see more calling/ wrestling than normal, I spray more and there are eggs every few months. I think these may not have been fertilized, there was absolutely no development that I saw.
Bryan