Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Golden Mantella Breeding

Gotcha!! Thank you for that clarification. I will make sure there is enough water in tank as to let them swim to the pond area.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Just curious, once your tads hatch do they stop moving for a couple of days once hatched. I just had about 17 hatch two days ago and now none are moving. They hatched after 4-5 days which seems kind of early and now aren't moving. I have them in a plastic shoebox size container and dechlorinated water that was allowed to age for about a week once treated that is also covered with a shirt to keep the light out. Mine are either recouping from hatching stress and early hatching or dead as far as I can tell. I'm going to give them a couple more days however they aren't looking so hot right now. I have had previous experience raising Azureus from egg and they usually stall for a couple of days after hatching and don't respond to much after their initial hatching spasms and a few hours to a day of activity once broken free possibly mantellas have the same thing albeit a couple days longer?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
TWI/ASN

Izzy,
Your observations sound very typical compared with my experience rearing lots of auratiaca tads. It is for this reason that some people recommend keeping the water very shallow to maximize oxygen diffusion to the newly hatched tads. As they grow you can gradually increase the water depth. I know a lot of people say to keep them dark. But I've never gone out of my way to keep eggs dark. And my tads were always pretty well lit to grow lots of algae and the usual Pothos or Philodendron sprig I had in the water to aid in nutrient control.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the little guys!
jbherpin likes this.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellular View Post
My tank is flooded each season which allows clutches to hatch and make their way to the water section.
Ray can you post pics if you have any? Thank, AND EVERYBODY ELSE.
http://www.azdr.com/ProductDetails.a...=BK-0793828937
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Just had a massive die off of about half of my 20 tads in the last 48 hours. I noticed two dead last night and suspected that I may have overfed them so I did a 3/4 water change. today I found 8 more dead leaving me with half of the original 20. Is there any sign that these might be cannibalistic in some cases? Also I'm not using an air stone in there as they are only about two weeks old or so, should I start?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 AM

These are from the third clutch I have had so far. The first was not fertile, the second all died within two days or so of hatching, I think from hatching too soon or from using treated tap water which I switched solely to spring water in the third. This third clutch was doing great until yesterday.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM

how big is your tank? Might be a die-off due to accumulation of ammonia or nitrite. Changing too much water at one time can be problematic, too. I know there are lots of methods, but the following has been proved suitable for me:

-aquarium with a size of about 60/30/30 cm. it is filled to the half, so it contains a water volume of about 25 liters. Fully planted with sand substrate and leaves; i use an air-filter in it and the temperature is fluctuating slightly according to room temperature. It's inhabited by snails (Physa sp.) and freshwater shrimps (Neocaridinia). I only change water (max. 1/4 of the volume) sporadically. For maintenance, only plants are cut back from time to time. There is lots of detritus on the ground and decomposing leaves. I think that is a good way to raise tadpoles without lots of work and with good success. E.g., ALL tadpoles from the last clutch did metamorphose into froglets. Not a single loss.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM

to add: i use dried, fallen oak leaves that are boiled in hot water before their use. Mantella tadpoles often grasp on these leaves (i.e. they eat the algae, fungi etc. that grow on these) - when they have been in the water for some time (and after snails and shrimps started to feed on these, too).