facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stemcellular
  • 1 Post By Rain_Frog
  • 1 Post By Detrick105

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 AM

Default Mantella breeding success?

Just curious as to how many people were able to get their mantells to breed? And which species did you breed? And of course any tips you might have to offer. I was lucky and have gotten lot of good clutches from my aurantiaca (lots of tads), been lossing my laevigata tads (hopefully that'll change now), and I lossed a clutch from my pulchra, and haven't found any more since. And everyone else has been calling. As for "tips", I just have been misting a lot. I sincerely hope that everyone that has mantellas will try to breed them, as their plight in Madagascar is rather dire.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Mantella breeding success?

Steve,

Did you get some mantellas in the last shipment that wend down this last winter? I was very curious where all the hundreds of mantella went. I was expecting to hear more about everyone's successes and frogs acquired, but it has been next to nothing. I wanted to get some cause I have a great basement for the dormant period, but didn't want to risk the non live arrival guarantee in the winter. Where all the mantella go?

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Steve,

Did you get some mantellas in the last shipment that wend down this last winter? I was very curious where all the hundreds of mantella went. I was expecting to hear more about everyone's successes and frogs acquired, but it has been next to nothing.Where all the mantella go?

My thoughts as well....

to the OP...there were a lot of well attended Mantella threads and posts on this forum. Most were a year or 2 back. Try the search feature and look around a bit. Should be some good stuff......

Old 09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
TWI/ASN

My two favorite Mantella threads:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lou...questions.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lou...reeding-q.html

Infact, both should be stickies in this section!

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM

This as well:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...t-species.html
jbherpin likes this.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
TWI/ASN

There were over 1000 frogs that came in in the last big shipment, where are all of them. We want stories and pictures.

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree that those threads listed should be made into stickies for the mantella section. I'll have to post some pics soon. I am waiting for the next import, so hopefully I can get some bernhardi.
Steve
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Just curious as to how many people were able to get their mantells to breed? And which species did you breed? And of course any tips you might have to offer. I was lucky and have gotten lot of good clutches from my aurantiaca (lots of tads), been lossing my laevigata tads (hopefully that'll change now), and I lossed a clutch from my pulchra, and haven't found any more since. And everyone else has been calling. As for "tips", I just have been misting a lot. I sincerely hope that everyone that has mantellas will try to breed them, as their plight in Madagascar is rather dire.
Some of us are just too busy to share because we're having too much success

Seriously, I have bred madagascariensis, pulchra, ebenaui, crocea, and blushing expectata this year. However, I'm still having issues with madagascariensis. Out of the hundred or so froglets that morphed out healthy, only a few are still alive. I was ill prepared for raising them because they fruit flies with supplement for the first two months and I didn't have enough (and still not enough) springtails.

Detrick, if you want some madgascariensis tadpoles from me, shoot me an email because I need to unload.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 09-29-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Give us some pointers Rain_Frog. What are your parameters for tank, feeding and supplements? Post a couple of phots if possible. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:23 PM

I did get 4 Baronii from Jason and have 3 alive today. I will put a picture or two up for you to see. Haven't heard any calling from them and they are nice size. Does anyone know what the call is? And is it very loud?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Im getting my 10 golden s later this week and am still waiting on my baroni.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM

If anyone wants to risk shipping newly metamorphized madagascariensis froglets, let me know. I have so many morphing out again but not enough springtails I've been WAY too busy and have already reached max capacity. They wouldn't cost much, but expect the possibility of a high mortality rate. I still haven't fully figured them out, so it'd be nice if people could experiment with me.

I've been exhausted this year with mantellas. A friend of mine is accepting a loan for my 12 pulchra and I'm either going to loan out my mads or "take them off exhibit." Basically, separate the frogs so they don't breed next year.

One word of advance-- be careful what you wish for with mantella breeding. I have about 30-40 or so blushing expectata froglets and juveniles, about 15 ebenaui froglets, 5-10 crocea froglets, lots of mads (but they keep dying because there isn't enough food), and pulchra tads (I was trying to keep my pulchra from mating but they did it anyway).

I have said most of my pointers in the 101 and 202 articles I wrote. Mads are the most difficult mantella, and I've stated before that they morph out half the size of say, blushign expectata and generally refuse fruit flies with supplement for about two months-- if they survive. Feeding baby mads isn't hard if you've raised pumilio-- but imagine what it'd be like to raise about 100 pumilio or egg feeder froglets at one time. The first time I ever bred mads successfully, I only had four froglets morph out successfully. Those four are still here, but they seem a little stunted compared to the wild caught adults. They are doing well and calling though.

For those with multiple mantella species, it would be worth your while to put some mantellas "off exhibit" one year and rotate what you breed. In my experience, the bigger the group, the more likely they'll breed even when you don't want them to.
jbherpin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain_Frog For This Useful Post:
VenomR00 (10-05-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post

For those with multiple mantella species, it would be worth your while to put some mantellas "off exhibit" one year and rotate what you breed. In my experience, the bigger the group, the more likely they'll breed even when you don't want them to.
This is very good advice. Rotating each year will allow them to store nutrients and will also allow you to focus on raising a significant number of CB offspring of one species. I mean, I killed the market on CB viridis last year. This coming year will be milos and/or nigricans, god willing.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 AM

I just checked my half land half water tank with my 1st clutch of golden mantella tads, and found a bunch of froglets, just a little stoked about it, and wanted to share.
Steve
jbherpin likes this.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM

thats excting!! photos please..i just got my goldens today
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrick105 View Post
I just checked my half land half water tank with my 1st clutch of golden mantella tads, and found a bunch of froglets, just a little stoked about it, and wanted to share.
Steve
nice, feed them nonstop and they will get huge, fast.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
TWI/ASN

Chad(trow) has had success with breeding Mantella baroni. Has anyone else??? I'm getting some from him later this month...and some Mantella aurantiaca from Ray as well. Can't wait!!! I would also like some M. laevigata's too....

Alex

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM

I have had no luck with my baroni so far, but they have been calling non stop, they are pretty loud too! The goldens have been keeping me busy (the froglets are tiny & brown; hard to see them), still been losing my laevigata tads (trying some new things). But, I'm going to start cooling & drying them out soon, give them all a break till spring again.
Steve
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Question Re: Mantella breeding success?

I am interested in buying CB baby mantella baroni's'...anyone have any yet?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I have had no luck with my baroni so far, but they have been calling non stop, they are pretty loud too! The goldens have been keeping me busy (the froglets are tiny & brown; hard to see them), still been losing my laevigata tads (trying some new things). But, I'm going to start cooling & drying them out soon, give them all a break till spring again.
Get expectata to call next door. Expectata have the power to convince lone pairs or trios of mantellas to breed. They are the loudest and most vocal mantella that I keep.

I have one pair of mantellas that only breed and call if the expectata call.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
Get expectata to call next door. Expectata have the power to convince lone pairs or trios of mantellas to breed. They are the loudest and most vocal mantella that I keep.

I have one pair of mantellas that only breed and call if the expectata call.
I'm holding out hope that this works for me, my expectata call all the time hoping they get my pair of ebenaui to produce. Guessing the male has lost interest in the winter, he's stopped calling he's prolly detected the change in the season.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Its been more than two years since I had the big ebenaui palooza-- sold wholesale about 60 froglets. I haven't been giving ebenaui as much attention the last two years because I've been trying to perfect mads and get blushing and another species going, but next year I'm going to try and give more attention to the ebenaui.

I'm sitting on probably about 40 blushing expectata juveniles but its too cold to get them out to people.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 AM

I have either baroni or the other ones name which I can't pronounce and it is a cherp that goes frog a single cherp to a double cherp. If you want I'll post a I'd on Youtubd then you can look and you can hear it and you may be able to identify my frogs. I don't know how to post pics or videos here haha