Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Mantella
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Default Mantella laevigata setup question

I'm going to be moving my 2 groups(9 total) of M. laevigata from their temp tanks to a 60 gallon hex. Any thoughts on having a rock wall/running water(low flow waterfall)?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Mantella laevigata setup question

Running water for mantellas is always good. However, as you probably have experience with, laevigata has a different breeding strategy. People recommend using jungle pods, water bowls, or other small water cavities to raise the tadpoles. If your water feature flows into a small pond, perhaps that would be beneficial to raising the tads if you can get the parents to deposit near the water.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
Running water for mantellas is always good. However, as you probably have experience with, laevigata has a different breeding strategy. People recommend using jungle pods, water bowls, or other small water cavities to raise the tadpoles. If your water feature flows into a small pond, perhaps that would be beneficial to raising the tads if you can get the parents to deposit near the water.
I actually have a tadpole in one of the temp tanks. I used plastic cups with leaves in them. I do have pods of some variety for their permanent tank though. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 PM

I kept and bred M. laevigata a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I lost most of my frogs when a 2 week recovery from "least invasive" back surgery turned into 2 1/2 months!
My laevigata tank had a waterfall and small stream running into a small pond. My females laid single eggs around the pond circumference (as opposed to the nesting cups in bamboo stems I provided), and hatching tads fell into the water. I left them to develop in situ, and my 2 pairs soon turned into a colony of 14, before calamity struck.
I've been gradually rebuilding my collection, and would like to get laevigatas again. Do you know of a source? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsofaac View Post
I kept and bred M. laevigata a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I lost most of my frogs when a 2 week recovery from "least invasive" back surgery turned into 2 1/2 months!

My laevigata tank had a waterfall and small stream running into a small pond. My females laid single eggs around the pond circumference (as opposed to the nesting cups in bamboo stems I provided), and hatching tads fell into the water. I left them to develop in situ, and my 2 pairs soon turned into a colony of 14, before calamity struck.

I've been gradually rebuilding my collection, and would like to get laevigatas again. Do you know of a source? Thanks.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I am building a viv for Baronis and Iím wondering how I can do the stream and pond.