Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Costa Rica

I am getting married in October and would like to tgo to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. It will be a later honeymoon. I was thinking Jan., Feb., or March.

I book most of my travel on my own and would be interested in places to stay, things to see, and where to go. What are my options as far as cities to fly in to? I was thinking Pacific side since the surf, I hear, is better.

Here are a few activities I would be interested in.....

frog watching / rainforest hiking
surfing
kayaking

Thanks

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM

I think you can only fly into San Jose, at least when I went. I went two years in a row for surf trips when I was 15 and 16. Since thats all we did thats all I can help you with. I would definately recommend Jaco and Playa Hermosa, its gorgeous, right on the beach, and the only drawback (which is also a plus) is that it is very 'Americanized.' I wouldn't stay there the whole time but its worth checking out and the zipline tour they do out of the Hotel at Playa Hermosa is amazing, your in the tree canopy overlooking the Pacific.

We also went down South to the Panama Border, Pavones to be exact. That was my favorite part of the trip both years, going to Pavones and Dominica. Both were a little 'rugid' for a honeymoon, but I guess it depends on your partner. Congrats by the way. Pavones is a short drive to Bocas Del Torro and if the drive is too far there is alot to see right behind the hotel, we got robbed by spider monkeys and saw plenty of Macaws in the afternoon. If your in Pavones and see a long hair guy driving a Bronco tell him I said whatsup, he's my old boss.

I've never been to the Caribean side but if your down by Pavones its not too far of a drive.

The waves are alot better during our summer (their winter) but I doubt you'll get skunked in the deptartment. I have a book and all the numbers to these places if your interested.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Jason,
costa rica is fantastic and you ll have a great time.its a small country but it allows you to see many different habitats
i suggest:

monteverde: fantastic cloud forest and great fun canopy tours etc + ranario (at that time of the year you ll see more frogs here i think..and partner wont complain..)
la selva- university campus /primary forest/bjeans pumilio + nice forest pond /see their website (look for ots on google)
cracr - brian kubickys private reserve..i saw loads of frogs there - nice forest pond - (a bit wild though for wife to be.. ) for photos http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nickgall/my_photos
arenal activ volcano (romantic...)
manuel antonio nice park lovely beach plenty of iguanas and monkeys
tortuguero-nice park-nice cayaking in the creeks in the forest..at that time no turtle laying eggs though
bocas del toro..very good and you can see plenty of frogs! see what i saw in one day
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nickgall/my_photos
hope this help
nick

Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 AM
TWI/ASN

What is the best way to get around? Taxi? Bus? Rent a car?

Frog Room ~~ TWI ~~ Collecting Fecal Samples 101 ~~ Drilling Glass DIY
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 AM

dun go anywhere alone. went to dominican republic last year and got shot at. so if its sort of the same I say hire a guide to translate and do the talking and go where its not bad to go.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Jason,
costa rica is the most stable and safe of the central american countries..
i have always been travelling alone (i went 3 times) and using buses..never felt unconfortable but you need to be sensible ..expecially in s jose..there are some areas that are not safe..just avoid them in the evening (you woldnt want to go there anyway) and catch taxis when you are in s jose. s jose is not that attractive anyway so you could skip it..fly into s jose, stay in one of the nice hotels around the airport or s pedro (nice area of s jose) and then move on.
bus are very chea p and reliable..i noticed a great improvement in their standards..no comparison with guatemala/honduras/nicaragua even if you use the normal ones. for most of the touristic destinations there are vip services (frankly they might cost 30 $ as opposed to 3$ but in my opinion they are not worth it..unless you want to treat your companion..)
you can also rent a car..i know that is very expensive though..much more than us or europe.
an idea of distances/time
sjose>monteverde 167km 5 hrs
s jose >manuel antonio 3.3hrs
s jose> puerto viejo de limon 5hrs
these are from the normal scheduled buses(i still have the bus schedules from 'instituto costarricense de turismo' http://www.visitecostarica.com
, the other vip buses are not faster..there are speed limits plus the roads dont allow a faster traffic (you might doubt that when you are in s jose..)
feel free to pm me or msn if you have other questions
nick