Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 AM

Default Ipad and the board

My wife gave me the go ahead to set up another rack. This means that I will have to relocate my computer up to the bedroom. No big deal, wireless and all.

My wife has a laptop and I have a work one. But I was concidering picking up a Ipad for general web surfing and ect. Not as bulky as a laptop not to mention a cool toy.

My question. Those of you that have ipad do you have any issues with surfing the web? How about here on dendro? Pics open fine, uploads ect?

I really like the idea of setting up another rack and pulling my fat arse away from the computer.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Ipad and the board

bump

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

I've had the iPad for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. The only issue I've had surfing the web is with Flash websites. iPad does not support flash, and from what I gather, there is no intention of supporting flash in the future. I get the feeling its a political thing.

There are apps that you can use other than the browser to surf message boards but honestly the browser displays everything great so I don't see a point.

The thing to realize with an iPad that will keep you freakishly happy with it is that its not a laptop replacement. It surfs the web great(except flash of course, its awesome for taking notes in PDF format(great for students), if you get a bluetooth keyboard (the apple one is great) writing emails or word documents is great as well. The biggest advantages are its small with a great battery life(10hrs).

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Leo, theres lots of other reasons I wan't a Ipad as well, I am getting my wife a nook to replace her sony reader and from what I can tell there are apps to allow you to read e books including the nook style on the ipad.

I used to have a Iphone and absolutly loved it.

So, lets say I wanted to go shopping on amazon....would I have issues doing that on the ipad or does amazon not use flash? Looks like I got me some googling to do.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM

I also have an iPad and find the only downside is that you cannot view anything containing flash. It doesn't affect this website at all, but it does affect many other sites. For example, I cannot even get to Josh's frogs website on my iPad. Maybe you should also check into the new Samsung Galaxy Tab instead of an iPad. It runs on on Android operating system, so you won't have any problems being able to view content like on the iPad. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Funny enough I don't think Josh's frogs has any flash, I think its a problem of redirects. Don't ask my why too many redirects is something the iPad doesn't like but when I go to a flash website it loads, it just doesn't display.

As for the Samsung Tab... anyone looking at android based tablets should take note that Google says Android isn't ready for tablet devices yet. Yes, one day it will be, but do you want to have a version of hardware(the tablet itself) that can't support full features because it was made before the software was ready?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
Thanks for the reply Leo, theres lots of other reasons I wan't a Ipad as well, I am getting my wife a nook to replace her sony reader and from what I can tell there are apps to allow you to read e books including the nook style on the ipad.

I used to have a Iphone and absolutly loved it.

So, lets say I wanted to go shopping on amazon....would I have issues doing that on the ipad or does amazon not use flash? Looks like I got me some googling to do.
My wife LIVES on amazon and she has zero issues. Also, there is a Kindle app for the iPad so I would suspect Amazon has full intentions of supporting iPad for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM

I've had my iPad for around 4 months and I absolutely love it. I like to use it to surf the web instead of using my Macbook Pro, mainly because it's so small and easy to hold. I have literally 6 pages full of apps and everyone who uses mine wants to buy one after they do.
And as for the people that try to talk crap and call iPad users douche bags (some people have called me that) I tell em, "Bitch, you're just jealous you can't afford one", they usually don't say anything after that lol.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM

The main thing to ask here is why does the wife have to give you permission to set another rack up. lol
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM

It's in the mainroom of the house? .....hell it cost me another $500 from my tax return for this permission...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Administrator

I would urge people to wait. The tablet wars have only just begun. The next wave of Android tablets may be a more economical option. While I don't fault apple for the ipad or iphone, to me they are too limited.

The ipad 2 is already on the way and is rumored to offer more functionality. Its going to be a very interesting year in the tablet, and phone markets.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Not to mention honeycomb just debuted! Its an amazing android tablet OS. It blows ipad away. I would wait.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 AM
TWI/ASN

I love the Ipad but I did find this pretty funny:
blutack.jpg from b3ta.com - StumbleUpon