Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Experiences in real estate as a customer or agent...

I see someone tried this back in sept of 08' but it's two years later and maybe theres a few of you out there now. Well, I've traded in my tig torch and grinder and custom fabricator status for a NJ real estate license. I'm hoping to catch the market on the alleged upswing. I'll also be working in the jersey city area, so if you're reading this derrick, and you or a friend have a need for an agent please let me know....
Anyway, just trying to get some personal exp's from some people. What their agent did that they really hated, what their agent did that they loved, etc, etc. I don't know what area I'll focus in, rentals, sales, buyers, etc? But given the times and my exp. I'll probably start showing rentals, and bust my a** for listings and potential buyers. I'm an honest guy, I want to make an honest buck. I don't wanna screw anyone involved in any transaction b/c at the end of the day, my conscience, not my wallet will help me sleep. Thanks for the insight if there is any.
chris
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Mod

Default Re: Experiences in real estate as a customer or agent...

ok so before the market crashed I did a lot of developing with my family down the Shore here.. (Sea Isle and Wildwood Crest) So Ive had a considerable amount of experience with realtors...

That being said, in my mind, the most impressive thing you can do is keep people updated.

When we were trying to sell our actual home in 06 our realtor would literally call us every day or two and let us know how things were going. She may not have always had news about our house, but she would update us on things in the area. This was incredible because she was always able to give us info on how other houses were selling and how our house looked on the market compared to them, which help us to make decisions about moving the price around and such.

Just always keep in mind the magnitude of this decision for some people. Once you start doing it a lot its easy to get jaded and forget about how much this means to so many people. So finding ways to keep it personal will most likely always be appreciated by your customers.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 AM
TWI/ASN

Thanks Tom! That's a really good point! I'll try to keep that one on my mind at all times. I bet it can become very routine and easy to forget to keep the customers up to date w/ daily. One of my teachers started off telling us that there's "some-one inside that person that you're working for" and that they are people not dollar signs. I'll do my best to remember all of that on a daily basis.
My mother's first realtor was like that, the agent saw my mother as a commission check and not a person w/ needs and emotions. When the contract ran out she was swiftly replaced w/ someone like your agent. The house sold quickly ( he actually worked instead of listing it and sitting back knowing that a commision check would come eventually), my mother found a new one quickly and she still speaks of her agent as a godsend.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 AM

Never tell a customer that you can sell their house for what they want in "X" amount of time and then only bring one person to show the house in a month. Seriously. We were told that the market was doing well lately and that they "didn't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get $___,000 within a month... we're selling them quick right now!" Well, they showed the house once to a single lady who as soon as she walked in said "Wow, this place is WAY too big for me... I don't even know why they showed it to me". Epic Failure. When we asked what happened they said "well, everything just kinda slowed down on us... nothing is really moving right now". Wow, what a coincidence... right when we listed with you.

On the flip side, when we moved to Vegas we had a realtor that was as straight up and honest as anyone we've ever met, salesman or not. He didn't try to "sell" us anything... he just helped us find what we wanted and didn't try to steer us into his listings only... he found what fit our criteria and didn't care who listed it. As it turned out we ended up buying a house that was listed by an agent he HATED but he said "What the hell... you guys are getting what you want and it's all the same to me so I'm good with it". His motto was to never push anyone into something and only try to give them what they want... be motivated by making people happy and not what kind of cut you're going to get and you will do fine.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
TWI/ASN

Thanks sbreland! That's exactly what I hope to do. I really do appreciate the comments/advice. Making outrageous claims is a serious problem in any business, and I hope to get and keep a great reputation. I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it is, but I need to hear these things. I need to keep a close eye on myself and my actions, b/c at the end of the day all I'll have is my reputation. And honestly all the money in the world can't fix it if I mess that up.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 AM

That's exactly right... and exactly why I would and have slung my realtor in Vegas a sh!tload of business but the one in Colorado I wouldn't recommend to anyone and would actually discourage anyone from using. Personal rep is one thing but when you are running a business or doing something like you're planning it's probably the #1 thing you have.