Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Default Ball python

Hey guys i know this is not a snake fourm but im sure a couple of people on here have or have had snakes before. I have a ball python and i cant keep her humidity high in this winter weather here in oklahoma. She is having trouble sheding because the humidity not being high enough and she still has the shed on her eyes and if she cant get it off i am afraid it might build up and her becoming blind. I mist her tank and i tried putting like plastic bags on the screen on one side to try and keep it more humid but i just cant keep it humid for that long of a time. If you guys could help i would be extreamly happy. Thanks
Chris
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 AM

Location: Mohrsville, PA (1 and a half hours from Harrisburg)
Default Re: Ball python

i went through this same thing with my kenyan sand boa
letting them swim in the tub half filled, one end water - one end dry with slightly warmer then lukewarm water for o, half an hour, seems to work wonders. the skin comes right off, though its kinda gross, its helpful

edit: i never mist my bp, have a completly open top (screen) and a water bowl large enough for the entire snake to curl up in as well as a pretty strong light with a limb running quite close under it. ive never even seen her soaking but shes never had a shed problem and ill have her a year, at the end of this month. i dont even monitor humidity

Last edited by HunterB; 01-12-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: extra
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 AM

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,793 Posts

Soak the snake in enough water that it covers the snake about 1/2 of the way up its body and is around 80-84 F. Do not make the water deep enough that the snake has to swim. Do not use the sink or the bathtub due to the risk of salmonella. You can get a small rubber maid trashcan (of this type Brute Containers & Accessories) as these have lids that lockdown. Put the water into the trashcan and add the snake. Lock the lid down and then either tape it down or place a 5 lb weight on the lid to keep the snake from pushing it off. When I've had to soak snakes I usually soak it for half a day. Once the snake's skin rehydrates it should slide right off the snake.

If the cage is large enough, take a plastic container that can be used as a hidebox. Cut an access hole for the snake. Place moist (not wet) sphagnum moss in there to provide the humidity needed for proper shedding. If there are pieces of shed skin in the hide box, make sure to remove it promptly as moist dead skin can lead to skin infections of the snake if left in contact with the snake. This will provide enough humidity to allow the snake to shed fully in the future.

A dry hide should also be provided to prevent the snake from staying wet too long.

Ed

Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 AM

Thanks both of you guys for the info. Tomorrow im going to soak her, and im going to try and soak her 1-2 times a week. Also i think i will need a slightly bigger water bowl for her, i think she is just a little bit big for it now. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Also a good (soft rock) to rub on is a good idea. I know that sound stupid but think no sharp edges. They can take care of it on their own most of the time In the past I have been told to take a peice of scotch tape and wrap it around your finger with the sticky side out and roll it accross the specticale. it works about half of the time but BE CAREFULL. if it does not come on the second try stop.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 AM

A good way to get the stuck eye caps off is to soak the snake similar to how Ed described. Then when your ready to get the eye caps off grab a clean towel (a hand towel or bath towel), moisten part of it, and then use it to rub the eye caps off. I also use the moist towel to help get off any other stuck shed on the snakes face.

I use my hands to rub any stuck shed from the neck down.

I use sterlite tubs with locking tops to soak mine. Try to keep the water between 75-85, cooler is better than warmer. If you don't have a thermometer the water should feel slightly cool. Not cold, not hot, not even warm. You would be surprised just how "not warm" 90 deg F water feels.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Okay thanks. Ill do that. I am soaking her tonight and ill try it. Very gentil and light on her eyes right? Also usually soak her in one of my bathtubs and watch her the whole time. For about 20-30 minutes. Is that okay? No one really uses that bathtub anyway..
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
A good way to get the stuck eye caps off is to soak the snake similar to how Ed described. Then when your ready to get the eye caps off grab a clean towel (a hand towel or bath towel), moisten part of it, and then use it to rub the eye caps off. I also use the moist towel to help get off any other stuck shed on the snakes face.

I use my hands to rub any stuck shed from the neck down.

I use sterlite tubs with locking tops to soak mine. Try to keep the water between 75-85, cooler is better than warmer. If you don't have a thermometer the water should feel slightly cool. Not cold, not hot, not even warm. You would be surprised just how "not warm" 90 deg F water feels.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 PM

The bathtub works fine as long as it's disinfected before anyone tries to use it, I do this with me bearded dragon weekly, when he's done playing, I use a spray bottle with bleach to clean everything up and rinse it out.

Don
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Okay great thanks, im still a little nervous about rubbing her eye with the towel though
Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 AM
TWI/ASN

Ball-Pythons.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 AM

You've received a lot of good advice here, especially regarding hides. I can think of two other tricks I have used in the past. For years I used red clay pots as hides. You can knock a doorway out of the side with a hammer (easier to do than it sounds) and file off any of the really sharp edges (usually not necessary). The advantage of these is that when soaked in water once a week or so provide excellent humidity AND a rough surface to begin a shed. The larger and thicker the pot (or saucer), the longer it stays humid. If they need it, they can climb inside where it stays very humid.

A second trick I have used it Neosporine gel (not cream...gel) for stuck eye caps. I've enough success with this one that it is my "go-to" method. Just smear a glob of the Neosporine right over the stuck eye cap, and leave it for a day or two. More often than not it will just come off on it's own. Only a very few times has the cap been so stuck on that I couldn't rub it off with one swipe after this. If the cap doesn't come off its rarely a huge emergency. Usually it comes off with the next shed. Just keep things humid so it has an easier shed the next time.

If I understood you correctly, you have a tank with a screen top. If that's the case you will probably always have some humidity issues. I would close off half the top with glass and keep an additional water dish over/near whatever heat source you are using or use the clay pot method.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Okay thanks, ill try the pot thing.