Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Chameleon Keepers?

I went into the city yesterday to hit up a few petstores for some finishing supplies for my viv construction, and stumbled on a baby veiled chameleon. This sparked my interest towards chameleons (another herp I've always desired to maintain and breed) I ALMOST made a sporadic purchase but chose against that ignorant decision. I did however purchase a few dissapointingly undetailed chameleon books from the store as well as a few other items for my viv. I went back twice to talk myself out of buying the screen cage they had as well as that little chameleon.

After doing some research, I've decided that I definatly DO want a few chameleons, although I'll be waiting at least until this fall when I'll be finished in my move to Colorado (also waiting for my PDF's for that time, but getting the viv set up, cured, and planted in advance) I'm looking for recommendations on more detailed books to read, as well as wishing to speak with breeders (as I've seen some online prices for baby veileds around $35.00 a piece where this one was $99.99 at the pet store!)

I'd really like to see some cage setups as well and find out some information about how to set up these screen cages with living plants. I'm always dissapointed to see plastic plants. They just don't look right.

Feel free to share any and all information you're willing as well as photographs of your enclosures and chameleons. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Chameleon Keepers?

You can find all the info you need at chameleonforums.com.
Scott
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM

cham forums will tell you everything..
but if you get a baby you will need to get a larger enclosure once or twice depending on starting size.. if the enclosure is too large the cham will have trouble finding food.. i also wouldnt buy something like a cham from a pet store unless your confident in the quality of animals they get (although veiled are by far the easiest cham to keep imo)

here is a pic of a good starter setup.. roughly equal to a 10gal vert

nothing more than a small live plant with some sticks that run diagonally and a cup for crix.. no substrate.. too much poop
hope this helps

Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Plenty of poop huh? Fairly inactive animals? I just imagined they needed something with more vegetation, but minimal is best? I appreciate the assistance. I'm very new with the thought of a chameleon but I had enough knowledge to know a screen cage would be best. Thanks! Great pics!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM

I have a veiled and I love her so much. Keep in mind that female chameleons lay eggs even if they are not mated and they have to have specific husbandry or they can have the eggs become impacted or worse. I say go for a male veiled for your first.

They are great pets if you are alright with having a pet that doesnt really enjoy being held. Checlk out the cham forums hey are amazing over there.

I am free ranging mine so she pretty much has free run of my herp room.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I always felt like it was a lot of loot to spend on a critter that usually only lives 5 years, sometimes less rarely more. I guess if you breed them you will always have new ones coming

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
I always felt like it was a lot of loot to spend on a critter that usually only lives 5 years, sometimes less rarely more. I guess if you breed them you will always have new ones coming
I would assume the breeding profit would make it worth it if you were in it for the money. You'd almost have to be if you're breeding, with clutches of 25 to 85 eggs. Sounds HUGE!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM

I've not yet kept any but in my research I seem to remember a much longer life span then that or maybe I'm mistaken? If so that's disappointing I tend to get attached to my pets....
-John
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Nope veilds and from what I remember most chams generally live 5 - 7 years. They do call them one year pets. Most new cham owners have husbandry problems and lose them within the first year.

I suggest buying one no younger than 4 months. The first 4 months for them is critical. They are amazing though. We never try to hold ours and she has pretty much gotten used to us going in there and moving things, cleaning or feeding her.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I used to want them BAD...Then found out about the short life span
Some of the panther morphs are like 300 a piece, you have to breed them to get your money's worth

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

The short life span is why I chose not to get a panther Chameleon as well. That and my husband would freak out about the food requirements. I still visit the chameleonforum just because I like to look at the pictures and read what people's experiences are.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

I was trying to find it on the cham forums but cant seem to right now. One of the really awesome breeders over there posted what she actually earns and it was close to nothing . The amount of money that goes into raising one clutch is insane. It really is just their passion.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Here ya go. I found it.

Breeding breakdown
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM

I've been breeding panther chameleons and various other species of chams for over 5 years and have to say that it is almost a full time job in itself. I can't imagine veileds being that profitable due to the price being on the lower end of the chams. I bought my first panther back in 1997 and the price is close now to what it was then. Veileds seem to be cheaper now then they were back then. I didn't attempt breeding panthers until around 2003 and since haven't have a free moment to vacation or go anywhere. A few things about baby chameleons, the adults are touchy so as you can imagine the neonates are very touchy. My electric bill is rediculous from all of the heat lamps and full spectrum lights. They only drink water droplets or moving water so you have to mist them a few times a day as babies because they can dehydrate very quickly. They only eat live prey so you have to constantly have to have tiny live insects on hand. Pinheads are the best food source for babies because they are like little pill capsules. You gutload them with whatever you want the chameleons to eat. Fruitflies are ok for baby chams but I have never used them as a main food source for my baby panthers. With panthers the eggs can be very unpredictable. For example, say there are 45 eggs in the clutch: 10 hatch after 6 months, then 2 months later another 5 hatch, then 15 hatch a couple months after that, then 2 more a month later. I have had babies from the same clutch that hatched 6 months apart and you never know when or how many are going to hatch at any given time. A female can be almost an adult and have siblings that are just hatching from the same clutch. I have had them hatch as early as 5 1/2 months or as longs as 13 months. Some clutches are come out weaker than others and some don't hatch at all. They have to be seperated out by size and they grow very quickly so you end up with dozens of setups with various sizes of different aged chameleons that have to be housed singly after they are around 3 to 4 months due to becoming territorial, so then you have even more setups and lights all needing full spectrum lighting and various size crickets. The UPS guy hated me since I was ordering so many crickets weekly and some would escape in the truck. It gets out of control, and depending on how many you are breeding at one time, you can multiply this. That is why I only keep one pair now because they themselves produce a lot of work for me and a friend of mine that helps me take care of them and my darts. Veileds can tolerate more than panthers so they are a little easier to raise. They also don't take near as long to hatch. I don't know how many eggs the average veiled will lay in a clutch but my female panther will lay anywhere from 30 to 45 every couple of months. You guys were talking about lifespan earlier. Males live longer than females due to the egg development process taking so much out of the females. You absolutely have to keep up with the supplimentation on egg producing female for them to live for any period of time. My last female breeder lived to 4 1/2 years and layed a clutch of 25 a month before she died. That is actually pretty long for a female that was producing as many eggs as she was. Males can live 8 years. I could go on all day with information on these guys so I will stop here. There are ways to get a female to produce less and live a little longer which I didn't know before but am practicing now so future females could potentially have longer lives. We learn more every year and they are living alot longer than they used to in captivity. Hope this info helped you decide if it is something that you want to take on or not. You basically have to dedicate your life to them, but the results can be amazing. Good luck!
epiphytes etc. likes this.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM

wow great reply! Thanks for that I really appreciate the in depth personal account! Might just get one and stick to trying to breed PDF's Damn baby chameleons are cute though! But sounds like a lot of work!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 PM

a healthy cham is almost always moving and searching and well kept non-breeding chams can live slightly longer (ive heard up to 9 years in very rare cases) but breeding females usually dont last past 3-4 years..

but they are really just too beautiful.. i didnt hesitate dropping $300 on a healthy baby panther.. my first panther was an adult for the same price.. he died of parasites after 2 1/2 years which is long for an infested cham.. like someone before me said 1 year pets either failed husbandry or health issues (parasites, metabolic bone disease, upper respitory infection)..

getting a baby and watching them grow is worth it for me

3month blue bar

juvi blue bar around 8months

adult
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

$300 is what I am going to pay for 2 std lamasi... much rather go with the frogs. Also, I couldn't rock the loud tunes in the living room with a chameleon, the frogs dont care and the kingsnake likes the vibration from the speakers

Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Great pics, those panther chameleons are gorgeous. I'd love to have a Carpet Chameleon, they're even more vibrant from time to time from what I've seen!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarak_Eric View Post
wow great reply! Thanks for that I really appreciate the in depth personal account! Might just get one and stick to trying to breed PDF's Damn baby chameleons are cute though! But sounds like a lot of work!
No problem. You definately have to have a passion for these guys to be successful in breeding them. Here are some of the cute baby pics that I have taken over the last few years of various cham species:

Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM

Jerm, I would love to see a pic of your breeding setup. The UV bulbs alone must cost a fortune!!

-John
Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Love the combo cham/nepenthes shots! Oh yeah, the fake weed plants crack me up... like it could be anything else

Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 PM

chams dont have ears and can only hear a small range of sounds

carpets are very nice as well.. but much harder to find.. if im not mistaken they can develop a bright red spot on thier head and are also called jeweled chams

and nice pics jerm.. most pics ive seen of babys hatching are shotty.. i really want to breed pygmys but they are also hard to find, well at least around here they are..
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelRiot View Post
Here ya go. I found it.

Breeding breakdown
Well I breed more chameleons than frogs, and one thing about this is, she was paying for feeders(I raise my own), and most of the other stuff mentioned in the cost was things that can be used for the next clutch, And that is also veileds at $35 each. So its really more an investment right now than a business for that person.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
Love the combo cham/nepenthes shots! Oh yeah, the fake weed plants crack me up... like it could be anything else
The package when I bought mine said "Jungle vines" ha ha ha.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champhibians View Post
Well I breed more chameleons than frogs, and one thing about this is, she was paying for feeders(I raise my own), and most of the other stuff mentioned in the cost was things that can be used for the next clutch, And that is also veileds at $35 each. So its really more an investment right now than a business for that person.
Oh definitely. But for someone just starting and looking into breeding these initial costs are important. And as you know the bulbs have to be replaced every six months and yada yada yada (you Im sure know how it goes. )

I love my cham and would totally reccomend that someone who is interested in them, gets one after doing a lot of reading.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 AM

I agree...chameleon forums is the place to start! I love my Chams, I would like to get more! They are almost as addictive as Darts!

Here is Mojito my Panther

And Rusty my veiled

Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Some of mine that I had and have and a few hatchlings. I currently have N. faly eggs in my incubator that are due to hatch soon. The Parsons is the king he will need a female soon.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:24 AM

Dean, you have some awesome animals! I love your parsons! What locale is the second to last one, the lime and turquoise...he is a beauty!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 AM
TWI/ASN

In the six months the store has been open, I've had three people come in and voluntarily surrender their adult veiled chams; I've lost count how many wanted to sell or trade them. We ended up adopting two of the three ourselves; the third had such severe medical issues we had to have it put down.

They have a reputation for being especially bad tempered, but Marcia has the two adoptees very tame (partly from the handling required to give them vitamin and mineral supplements the vet prescribed due to liver problems). Speaking of the vet, those three free chams have cost me about $500 in vet bills so far ...

My son keeps telling me, "Dad, the idea of a pet store is to SELL pets."
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehitch View Post
In the six months the store has been open, I've had three people come in and voluntarily surrender their adult veiled chams; I've lost count how many wanted to sell or trade them. We ended up adopting two of the three ourselves; the third had such severe medical issues we had to have it put down.

They have a reputation for being especially bad tempered, but Marcia has the two adoptees very tame (partly from the handling required to give them vitamin and mineral supplements the vet prescribed due to liver problems). Speaking of the vet, those three free chams have cost me about $500 in vet bills so far ...

My son keeps telling me, "Dad, the idea of a pet store is to SELL pets."

lol Kids are great. I have a 4 year old.

I would have a ton of chams if I knew I was going to stay at home forever (right now I stay at home with our daughter but she starts school in Aug.) but I know I will be gone most of the day working.

Beautiful chams btw guys. Love to see pics of them. They are just fascinating.

Here is my Brody. We got her from someone who had no idea how to take care of chams so she has a burn on her casque. It is old and healed though.

I love this macro shot I took of her tail.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 AM

wow nice chams guys! i keep them too. right now i have a young vieled and a pair of R. spectrum, but ive kept other species in the past.
- Dean your parsons is awsome brotha!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Thank you He's an orange eye parsons chameleon.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing their chameleon stories and pics. I spend most of my time on forums whilst I'm at work (show's how hard I work!) and for some reason the chameleon forums are blocked out on my computer here. So I enjoy the pics and everything here. Any more out there?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Post my 2 cents

I have kept and breed veileds and currently I am waiting on some financial stability to get the next chams on my wish list(Oustelets and Mellers). My first veiled was a male and I made the usual beginner mistake with not enough UVB. He started getting MBD but after a quick purchase of a mercury vapor bulb he recovered with a few small deformities. My female was the next purchase. I work in a pet store and I can tell you that reptiles are marked up high because they usually spend alot of time in the store and eat alot. If you can get one at a reptile show you can scope out the breeders and get a better choice resulting in a lower price. Mercury Vapor Bulb, screen cage, live plants(ficus,umbrella,pothos), no substrate and a feeding cup and a drip system comes in handy it saves you from misting so much.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Default Re: my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon996 View Post
I have kept and breed veileds and currently I am waiting on some financial stability to get the next chams on my wish list(Oustelets and Mellers). My first veiled was a male and I made the usual beginner mistake with not enough UVB. He started getting MBD but after a quick purchase of a mercury vapor bulb he recovered with a few small deformities. My female was the next purchase. I work in a pet store and I can tell you that reptiles are marked up high because they usually spend alot of time in the store and eat alot. If you can get one at a reptile show you can scope out the breeders and get a better choice resulting in a lower price. Mercury Vapor Bulb, screen cage, live plants(ficus,umbrella,pothos), no substrate and a feeding cup and a drip system comes in handy it saves you from misting so much.

That's great info! Thanks for that. I'll remember that when looking into purchasing. You have any pics of your chams?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 PM

I have hundreds of chameleon pics at home, Im on my office computer most of the time also. Here are some that I have on here of some chams that I have kept in the past:
Male Chameleo trioceros werneri

Female werneri

Male nosy be f. pardalis (panther)

Male t. rudis

Female ambanja f. pardalis

t. bitaeniatus

female t. deremensis

male t. deremensis

male t. quadricornis

male f. lateralis (carpet)

A couple of my cages:

this one is a cage that i built on a 55 gallon fish tank
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Here are some of my current and past Chams.. They make really good pets ifff you can provide for them correctly. At a point it almost becomes second nature.

The main points to focus on are

*UVB (5.0/10.0) <~~ Depending on the size of enclosure and material it's made out of. Natural sunlight by taking your Cham outside is always a plus.

*Drinking and humidity. In the form of misting,drippers,raindomes

*Heat, as simple as a household incandescent bulb (wattage will depend on age of Cham)

*Supplementing.. There are a few different ways to do this. But the "all-in-one" used daily seems to be clear cut for the popular/mainstream species. Rapashy's Cal-PLUS is what i currently use.

*Ventilation. Although some species can be kept in vented glass enclosures like ExoTerras/ZooMed. The best way to house your Cham is in a screened cage.

everything outside of the above is "added quality of life"..

Pix:
"Chance" 7 month old male Ambliobe Panther

"Kamo" My 10 month old male Veiled (now re-homed to ChamNorthWest for breeding)

"Azriel" My 6 month old male Ambanja Panther

"Strawberry" My 5 month old female Ambliobe Panther

"No Name" Mellers.. Unknown age or sex!

Bradypodion pumlium

Last edited by JonRich; 07-02-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Some enclosures.

I use these to raise baby Panthers and i have another for Brookesia spp.

There are my Bradypodion enclosures.

Panthers.

jacobi likes this.

Last edited by JonRich; 07-02-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 AM

Anyone work with Rieppeleon brevicaudatus? I've considered trying them out and have heard success with similar conditions to dart frogs-that is, moderate temps, no UVB provided. I figure I could keep them going on bean beetles. However, I am not sure how interesting of captives they would be.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobait View Post
Anyone work with Rieppeleon brevicaudatus? I've considered trying them out and have heard success with similar conditions to dart frogs-that is, moderate temps, no UVB provided. I figure I could keep them going on bean beetles. However, I am not sure how interesting of captives they would be.
Being a "leaf chameleon" they are very cryptic, but with some striking patterns. They are not as active as other larger Chameleon species, but they can be a joy to keep in a nice planted tank. They tolerate a bit more humidity, so yes very similar to dartfrog conditions. Diet is the same also.

A nice drainage layer, porous substrate like ABG and a leaf litter. They will move in and among the leaf litter , but will "roost" in the low laying shrubs and branches.

I really like a small Hibiscus like the tank i have pictured here. I would also check the ChameleonForums.com for some. I have seen some captive bred ones available lately.

Last edited by JonRich; 07-03-2013 at 06:07 PM.