Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Sponsor

Default Here we go again HR 669

Last year the battle of legislation was HR6311, now we have HR699. From what I understand if HR669 passes it would end the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many reptiles and amphibians including boa, python & eunectes.

Immediate action is required! This bill has 10 cosponsors has been assigned to the House Natural Resources Committee. This looks to have more support.

THOMAS (Library of Congress) HR 669 Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Here we go again HR 669

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...would-bad.html
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 AM

If you are not already on the USARK mailing list I suggest you get on it. They keep tabs on this pretty well and have a letter campaign in the works to fight this.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM

For those who'd like to sign up . . .

United States Association of Reptile Keepers - USARK
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Is there a online petition to sign?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Sponsor

There is no online petition that I am aware, and petitions seem to have little effect unless it is petitioning you name on a ballot. A good course of action right now is to write and call you local congressional representative. If you are unaware of who yours is or where to write and call search here: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml Remember this is a House issue so do not write a senator at this point.

I would also write and call all 10 cosponsors of this legislation, especially if one of them is your representative.

Look for a local herpetological society, I am sure most are looking at this legislation and forming an organized rebuttal along with USARK and PIJAC.

Edit: I found a petition on a gecko forum that I frequent: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/u...311/index.html
I am sure their maybe others, but like I said petitions seem to have little effect and online petitions have no legal bearing from what I understand.

Last edited by JJuchems; 02-03-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 PM

PIJAC Home Page - Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council

Thats a good place to learn about these things also
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Sponsor

The fear is the list. I’ll be like a tax, once it is on the books it will never go away. Will invasive species with little research be added? If so genus such as Dendrobates and Phelsuma could be added since they have already been established in Hawaii. Look at the purposed ban on boa constrictors, little plausible research went into the spread Burmese pythons to the Northern states. I would love to see on survive the current Illinois winter.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 AM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts

And Phelsuma are established in Florida see http://www.cnah.org/pdf_files/39.pdf

The list is what also concerns me as well.

Ed
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Sponsor

I hope the overall dendroboard membership is aware of the major issues this legislation could pose. If a vote falls along party lines, this legislation will pass the House and go to the Senate as the sponsors are all Democrats. The privilege to own and reproduce Dendrobatid could be gone along with the keeping and captive propagation of several other species.
To monitor the progress of the legislation you can log onto:
H.R. 669: To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively... (GovTrack.us)

Currently HR 669 is held at Committee on Natural Resources:
Committee on Natural Resources

Given the nature of the legislation, I would assume it will be held at subcommittee Insular Affairs, Oceans, and Wildlife:
Committee on Natural Resources Subcommittee Insular Affairs, Oceans, and Wildlife
The Link will provide information where to find subcommittee members.

The support is strong for this legislation. Groups such as the Defenders of Wildlife Policy and Legislation - Defenders of Wildlife and the Humane Society of the United States Wildlife | The Humane Society of the United States are supporting this legislation. Acting now creates a clear message that hobbyist and sound scientific research must be herd and considered in such legislation.

This is the time for grassroots movement to take on the big cash lobbyists.

I do not like to discuss religion or politics on the board as it gets heated. This is an issue no matter what political party you affiliated to, relate to, or support has the potential to affect your ability to keep what you enjoy and the reason you are a part of this online community.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 AM

Yet another one . . . I got this from the USARK mailing list . . .

Warning- S373 Introduced into US Senate would BAN Import & Interstate Transport of Pythons

A new bill S373 has been introduced into the US Senate by Senator Bill Nelson of Florida. It would Ban the Import and Interstate Transport of the genus Python. In his introductory comments Senator Nelson used inflammatory language, and cited feral pythons in the Everglades and the USGS Map published By Rodda and Reed as his reasons for introducing federal legislation. His statements were sensational and inaccurate.

There is no credible scientific evidence to support wasting taxpayer’s time and money on this Bill. The only result if this bill was to pass is more harm to the US economy and its citizens. USARK is working closely with PIJAC to develop a strategy to move forward in dealing with this new threat to the families and small businesses that make up our community. A coordinated response will be in all of our best interest.

We are putting together a sample written response. USARK and PIJAC will not allow this to go unchallenged, but your help is required! These issues need to be responded to in writing and by as many people as possible. Right NOW, you can help by recruiting as many people as you know (herpers & non-herpers) to sign up on the USARK Mailing List. This will notify you the moment this response is ready. Or better yet, JOIN USARK's Reptile Nation and help make a difference! Do not wait... Act Now!!

***FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST AND POST IT ON EVERY FORUM!

Thank you for your support!!!

Andrew Wyatt

President USARK
Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 PM

MMM, just what the reptile industry needs. It's a long read, but I thought the newsletter put everything together nicely for those not familiar with what's going on:

HerpDigest.org: The Only Free Weekly Electronic Newsletter That Reports on The Latest News on Herpetological Conservation and Science Volume # 9 Issue #7, 2/6/09 (The Python Edition)
Publisher/Editor- Allen Salzberg
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Table of Contents
1) Introduction of The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (January 26, 2009) H.R. 669 (Editor- The Full Copy of Text of H.R. 669 introduced on 1/26/09 available at
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
or by request to [email protected])
2) Congresswoman Bordallo Introduces Bill to Protect People and Native Wildlife by Addressing Exotic Animal Importation -January 27, 2009, Press Release from HSUS in support of H.R. 669
3) Response From USARKS (U.S. Association of Reptiles Keepers)
WARNING- HR6311 Reintroduced as HR669- BAN ON BOAS & PYTHONS!!
4) USARK Follow up First Alert on HR669 - NO on HR669 / Grassroots Organizing 101
5) Short History of S. 373, Seemingly The Senateís Variation of H.R. 669 -The Following Story Ran On The Today Show And MSNBC
Today Show Video Player
6) To Avoid 'Giant Python In Everglades,' Lawmaker (US Senator Ben Nelson) Working To Ban Import, Trade
7) USARKís Response To News of S373 - Warning- S373 Introduced into US Senate would Ban Import & Interstate Transport of Pythons __________________________________________________ __________________
1) Introduction of The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act(January 26, 2009) H.R. 669

(Editor- Copy of Text of H.R. 669 introduced on 1/26/09 available at
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
or by request to [email protected])

Speech Of Hon. Madeleine Z. Bordallo Of Guam In The House of Representatives
Monday, January 26, 2009

Ms. BORDALLO. Madam Speaker, today I have reintroduced a bill to protect the United States from harm caused by invasive species. In the 110th Congress, I introduced H.R. 6311, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act, in response to the increasing economic, environmental, and human health threats posed by invasive wildlife species. I am reintroducing this legislation as a proactive approach to combating invasive wildlife species by prohibiting their importation.

Nonnative plants and animals are known by scientists to have been introduced into ecosystems in all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the territories. Invasive, nonnative species can harm the economy, environment, other animal species' health and human health. Such harm ranges, for example, from depreciating farmland property values and loss of irrigation water to increasing spread of disease. Additionally, collapse of buildings, competition with native animals, sport, game, and endangered species losses, habitat alteration, and other ecosystem disturbances, have all resulted from the introduction of certain invasive species.

Scientists and economists generally estimate the cost of damages caused by invasive species in the United States to amount to over $123 billion annually. The risks associated with the introduction and establishment of invasive species, and the costs of mitigation, will continue to rise concomitantly with the expansion of trade and increased speed and frequency of travel around the world and within the United States. The volume of cargo shipped and exchanged worldwide continues to increase and many communities across the United States are experiencing growth in tourism. These factors are reason alone to develop protocols and a system for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species that could be imported or introduced into the United States.

Preventing the introduction of invasive species is a significant challenge and priority for many communities across the country, including my district, Guam. Invasive species, for example, threaten the biodiversity and the ecology of the Florida Everglades, the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, and the Great Lakes, among other national environmental treasures. On Guam, the brown tree snake has caused the extirpation of many endemic forest birds and lizards. The coqui tree frog and the coconut rhinoceros beetle are the latest species to have entered Guam. Although these species were accidentally introduced, intentional introduction of invasive species is something that can and should be controlled. The bill reintroduced today would protect citizens, the economy, and the environment from imported wildlife species that have the known potential to and that would likely harm our interests in the United States.

Absent a comprehensive federal law addressing the importation of nonnative species, the only protection is provided by the Lacey Act Amendments of 1981. This law authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to designate wildlife species considered ``injurious'' to humans and prohibits importation of such species into the country. The process, however, to designate a species as injurious can take up to four years, at which point harm has already been done.

The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act authorizes the establishment by regulation of a risk assessment process to control the importation of wildlife species. The bill adopts a preventative approach by requiring the Secretary of the Interior to develop with public notice and public input a ``green list'' of species allowed to be imported and a ``black list'' preventing invasive species from entering the country. Prior to approving a species to be imported, the Secretary must evaluate its potential risk to human, other animal species, and environmental health. Any imports of species, which are not on the ``green list,'' will be subject to penalties under the Lacey Act Amendments of 1981. The Secretary, however, may permit importation of an animal of such other prohibited species for educational, scientific research, or accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes. Finally, import fees will be collected to cover the costs of the risk assessment process.

I look forward to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to advance this legislation and to strengthen the abilities of the federal government to more effectively manage and prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
2) Congresswoman Bordallo Introduces Bill to Protect People and Native Wildlife by Addressing Exotic Animal Importation
January 27, 2009, Press Release from HSUS in support of H.R. 669

The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International welcomed the introduction yesterday of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo (D-Guam).

The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited.

"Each year, millions of wild animals are captured overseas and imported into the United States," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The HSUS. "This trade results in the suffering and death of large numbers of animals, poses unnecessary risks to public health and jeopardizes native wildlife populations here and abroad. We are grateful to Congresswoman Bordallo for working to address this global problem."

Imported wild animals may escape or may be let loose by owners who cannot properly care for them. These animals sometimes die from starvation, predation or exposure. Sometimes, however, they thrive ó putting people, domestic pets and native wildlife at risk.

Facts

Under current regulations, the Fish and Wildlife Service can declare species "injurious," making it illegal to import these animals or sell them over state lines as pets. However, this process typically takes years to complete and occurs after species are established, when eradicating them can be expensive, inhumane and nearly impossible.

Congresswoman Bordallo represents the island of Guam, where brown tree snakes accidentally introduced after World War II have decimated native bird and lizard populations.

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in 2005 the United States imported the following numbers of live, wild animals: nearly 88,000 mammals; 259,000 birds; more than 1 million reptiles; more than 5 million amphibians and more than 200 million fish.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora aims to ensure sustainability and humane treatment in the international wildlife trade, but many species are not covered and even covered species may be harmed by trade.
__________________________________________________ _________________
3) Response From USARKS (U.S. Association of Reptiles Keepers)
WARNING- HR6311 Reintroduced as HR669- BAN ON BOAS & PYTHONS!!

Below you will read a press release by the most powerful Animal Rights Group on the planet. As predicted by USARK, HR6311 has been reintroduced as HR 669. If passed as written this bill will BAN the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many, many reptiles and amphibians... including Boa, Python and Eunectes. If this bill passes it will destroy the reptile community and industry overnight! PLEASE JOIN USARK IN FIGHTING HR669!!!

USARK has posted a petiton against HR 669 on ipetitions Remove Boa, Python & Eunectes from H.R. 669 Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

That petition says:

** There is NO evidence to support the premise that the continued import of Boa, Python & Eunectes would negatively impact the economy, environment, or human or animal species health.

** Broken Screens, the report which is the basis for the writing of H.R. 669, is not a science based document. It is a propaganda piece produced by a radical environmentalist group in league with the Animal Rights Movement.

** The so called Risk Assessment measures in this bill take a Guilty Until Proven Innocent approach that flies in the face of reason and promotes prejudicial treatment of all animals listed.

** Citizens of the United States are appalled that well funded special interest groups are able to promote fiction as fact and we demand Boa, Python and Eunectes be removed from H.R. 669.

A copy of the bill can be seen at: Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Copy of Broken Screens available by request to Herpdigest.org
__________________________________________________ ______________________
4) USARK Follow up First Alert on HR669 - NO on HR669 / Grassroots Organizing 101

OK everyone just take a deep breath.... we need to look at this problem objectively. This is not the time to panic, it is not the time to get emotional, but it is time for thoughtful, deliberate action!

If you have been listening to USARK for very long, you knew that this was coming. Many were of the opinion that HR6311 was dead. USARK warned that although it was dead for 2008 it would be reintroduced in 2009. Now we have the newest version, HR669. Now the question becomes: What is the Herp Community going to do about it?

Let's look at the history of HR669:

1. It began in 2007 with a petition from the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) to USFWS to add Boa, Python and Eunectes to the 'Injurious Wildlife List' of the Lacey Act. That was followed by a Notice of Inquiry published in the Federal Register calling for public comment in early 2008. This constituted the first step in a 'potential' Rule Change to the Lacey Act. This process is under way and can take up to 4 years to effect an actual Rule Change. It is not over. This is still being processed by USFWS.

2. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and the Defenders of Wildlife, unhappy with the pace of progress with a 'potential' Rule Change to the Lacey Act, convince a group of US House members to introduce a bill based on a report written by Defenders of Wildlife called Broken Screens. In July of 2008 HR6311 is introduced into the US House of Representatives. Marshall Myers of PIJAC is present and makes an eloquent point by point rebuttal of the Bill. Because of so many other pressing issues HR6311 dies in the Natural Resources Committee it was assigned to.

3. USARK warns that even though HR6311 is dead for the legislative session it will be revived in 2009. USARK initiates a petition against HR6311 October 2008.

4. January 2009 HR6311 is reintroduced as HR669. A group of 10 House members co-sponsor HR669 and it is assigned to the House Natural Resources Committee.

Facts about HR669:

1. If passed HR669 would end the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many reptiles and amphibians including boa, python & eunectes. The following is an excerpt from the Bill.

SEC. 6. PROHIBITIONS AND PENALTIES.
(a) Prohibitions- Except as provided in this section or in section 7, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States toó

(1) import into or export from the United States any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;

(2) transport between any State by any means whatsoever any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;

(3) violate any term or condition of a permit issued under section 7;

(4) possess (except as provided in section 3(f)), sell or offer to sell, purchase or offer to purchase, or barter for or offer to barter for, any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1);

(5) release into the wild any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1); or

(6) breed any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1), or provide any such species to another person for breeding purposes.

2. There are 10sponsors for this Bill. That means this is serious. They want to pass this Bill. Some of sponsors have strong relationships to the HSUS.

3. HR669 has very little basis in scientific fact. There is no evidence to suggest that banning any of these animals will have any positive effects on the economy, environment, or human or animal species health.

4. What is certain is that passing HR669 would add to our country's economic decline and devastate American families and small businesses.

5. Your voice can make the difference in the defeat of HR669!

What can I do IMMEDIATELY to keep HR669 from passing?
* Click sponsors name from list below and that will take you to their email portal.
* Fill in subject field with 'OPPOSE HR669'
* Cut and paste sample letter into body of email adding your own comments (or write your own letter).
* Be brief, be polite, be articulate and DO NOT BE DISRESPECTFUL! This is extremely important!! If you can't do this don't bother to make contact.
* Let them know how HR669 would effect you and your family.
* Fill in your personal information.
* Click SUBMIT button.
* Send a separate email to [email protected] with HR669in your in subject line so we can track the number of people participating.

Sponsors List:
1. Del. Bordallo
2. Rep. Napolitano
3. Rep. Kind
4. Rep. Grijalva
5. Rep. Kildee ** NO EMAIL
6. Rep. Klein
7. Rep. Hastings
8. Rep. Abercrombie
9. Rep. McGovern ** NO EMAIL
10. Rep. Miller

Sample Letter: Cut & paste letter.
Subject: Oppose HR669number
(Del or Rep Name),
I oppose HR669. This Bill is not based in science, but in the ideology of powerful special interest groups. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that banning the import, sale and trade of any of these animals will have any positive effect on the economy, environment, or human or animal species health.
In fact, if passed it would destroy many families and businesses. It would have a decidedly negative impact on an already ailing economy by destroying a vital and growing industry at a time when our country is in need of jobs and growth. The USFWS has just made changes to the CITES export permit process which would allow quality captive bred animals to be more easily exported to international customers. Passing HR669 would negate all the work USFWS has done for over a year. This Bill is a disaster to American small business and families in a time of economic hardship.
(tell in your own words- what you do and how passing this bill would hurt you and your family)
Please do not pass HR669.
Thank you,
(Your Name)

* This is just the first step in a proven formula of grassroots politics used by groups such as the NRA and HSUS. Be ready to take the next step soon.
* Educate yourself to the process.
* If you haven't already signed, please sign our Petition Against HR669.
* Don't forget to email [email protected] when you're done so we know how many stood up and did their part.
***Please do this now and pass it on to everyone on your email list!!
Join USARK! There is Strength in Numbers... Protect Your Rights!
__________________________________________________ ________
HerpDigest Inc. is a non-profit, 501 (c) (3), corporation that publishes the electronic weekly newsletter called HerpDigest and runs the website under the URL HERPDIGEST
The editor reserves all rights to decide what should be included in these publications. Publication does not indicate endorsement or accuracy of any article or book included, sold or mentioned. It is up to the reader to make that determination. All copyrighted material is rewritten or excerpted to pass the fair use law or permission has been given for HerpDigest to use. Since the editor can't guarantee the accuracy of the articles, HD, Inc. is not liable for anything said in an article. Documented corrections of an item included in HerpDigest will be considered for posting as a "Letter to the Editor. No Back Issues are available. No issues in print are available. If you have any suggestions, articles or announcements you wish to see posted in HerpDigest please contact the editor at [email protected]
__________________________________________________ ________________
Herpdigest Also Accepts Advertising.
Rates differ for profit and non-profit organizations, newsletters, seminars, books, pet care products (no live animals) and for placement on the newsletter or the website Contact [email protected] for more information
__________________________________________________ ____________________
You are receiving HerpDigest because through your own request, which was confirmed by HerpDigest by email. If you wish to stop receiving HerpDigest just contact [email protected] and your subscription will be terminated immediately
__________________________________________________ ______________
If you have any questions or complaints please send them directly to us at [email protected] And youíll receive a response or acted on immediately.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Sponsor

Make sure you write and call HR 669 sponsors and your local Rep. Be polite and articulate! Bump!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Okay so I wrote to my Representative who just happens to sit on the House Committee on Natural Resources (that's the committee that this bill has been referred to) and finally got a response back. I typed it up with the errors included and all - haha!

Here is what he (his staff I'm sure) wrote back:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Allen:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your views.

The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act would direct the Secretary of the Interior to create regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of importing nonnative wildlife species into the United States. The legislation stipulates that multiple factors be considered, including the identity of the organism to the native species level, whether the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States.

H.R. 699 [sic] has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources, of which I am a member. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come before me in the Natural Resources Committee or for a vote in the full the [sic] House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For your convenience, you can receive further information on issues important to the Ninth District at .: Congressman Bill Shuster :. . Your thoughts and comments are allways welcome.

Sincerely,
Bill Shuster
Member of Congress
Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 AM

This was an email was forwarded to me about an hour or more ago from a very profitable and reliable Pet shop owner here in GA. All info has been provided below and it also can be found at another thread posted by me. As 23rd of April if not mentioned before this, is the hearing date. This is what I have been sent by email.

Sorry for the repost.

_________________________________________________ ___________
Subject: FW: FW: URGENT - Congressional Hearing April 23 - FEDS to BAN NONNATIVE
SPECIES - ACTION NEEDED!

DEAR FOLKS -

THE ATTACHED PIJAC ALERT is THE MOST SERIOUS THREAT to the pet industry
-and this is on the NATIONAL level -I HAVE EVER SEEN! It would put Segrest Farms
Inc and every single importer of fish, coral, reptiles, birds, and small animals

OUT OF BUSINESS, as well as all the pet shops that but these animals!

Our good buddies, the Humane Society of the United States and The
Nature Conservancy, are part of a coalition pushing HARD for adopting this
terrible and ridiculous bill without amendments!

PLEASE read carefully! PLEASE e-mail, call and fax the legislators on the
Subcommittee listed, and let them know that this would completely annihilate
an entire industry! Every importer, every pet shop, and millions of
employees OUT OF BUSINESS and WORK. Not to mention the lost of tax dollars
to the government on all those businesses and employees! And the public
wants and needs pets! Refer to PIJAC's talking points.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, or fax as necessary!

Sandy Moore
Segrest Farms Inc

Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:16 AM
To: Peach
Cc: 'Mike Maddox'
Subject: Re: FW: URGENT - Congressional Hearing April 23 - FEDS to BAN
NONNATIVE SPECIES - ACTION NEEDED!

We need everyone in industry -- owners, employees, wives, ex-wives.
children, illegitimate children, rabbis, priests, ministers, imams,
competitors, friends and enemies to be part of grass roots effort. Real
agenda is masked under guise of environment for number of groups such as
HSUS.
Please circulate attached revised PetAlert (includes hyperlinks not in
last nights version) to all of your customers. Thanks
Marshall

> ON April 23rd 2009 The Natural Resources Committee of the U.S. Congress
will
> hold a hearing on H.R. 669, a resolution that will in effect ban
> importation, interstate transport and the private ownership of most birds,
> mammals, reptiles, and fish as pets. Should HR669 be adopted as written
only
> the following nonnative animals
> would be allowed:
>
> any cat (Felis catus)
> cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
> chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
> dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
> donkey or ass (Equus asinus)
> domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
> duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
> goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
> goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
> horse (Equus caballus)
> llama (Lama glama)
> mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
> pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
> domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
> sheep (Ovis aries)
>
> Should this resolution be adopted into law as written it will have a
> devastating impact on every pet owner and business in the United States.
> Action is needed TODAY to protect your rights to keep your pets! To find
out
> what you can do to protect your pets please click on the link below.
Please
> note that the linked PIJAC PET ALERT requires that you have Adobe Acrobat
> installed. More info will follow as it becomes available...
>
>
> http://banner.pethobbyist.com/spclick.php?id=438
>

VCARD
fn: Marshall Meyers
n: Meyers;Marshall
org: Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council
adr: ;;1220 19th Street NW;Washington;DC;20036;USA
email;internet: [email protected]
title: CEO and General Counsel
tel;work: 1-202-452-1525
tel;fax: 1-202-293-4377
url: PIJAC Home Page - Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council
__________________________________________________ _______________

Last edited by atlfrog; 04-02-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfrog View Post

snip"
> the following nonnative animals
> would be allowed:
>
> any cat (Felis catus)
> cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
> chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
> dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
> donkey or ass (Equus asinus)
> domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
> duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
> goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
> goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
> horse (Equus caballus)
> llama (Lama glama)
> mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
> pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
> domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
> sheep (Ovis aries)"edsnip
If you read the proposed initial legislation (the whole thing) this is not exactly true. These species are exempt from regulation under the bill (as they are considered domesticated and thus not wildlife) which does not mean that they are going to be the only legal animals...

The bill is in its initial stages and I have my own concerns about it and how it is handled. For example, there are three classes of regulation, permitted, not-permitted and data deficient. Permitted are allowed to be imported and transacted over state borders etc, non-permitted are not allowed to be transacted, transported or bred, etc but if you have them currently they would be grandfathered.. The data deficient is the concern as there is no language that shows where they would be handled as either permitted or non-permitted.

Furthermore the language in the bill could potentially allow groups with big pockets to sue under the current threat to human health language to force listing of species as not-permitted (say because they carry salmonella)...

The third piece that is a concern is that the bill would also ban using the mail system to ship wildlife. This would include fish except for goldfish, frogs, etc....

Now solely as a thought exercise, there are two different ways to consider this legislation.. either try to defeat it every year (as its not going to go away as those groups with deep pockets can keep pulling up photos of nile monitors, burmese and boas to get the general populace into a frenzy) or get the bill into something that can be lived with already (*and modified if needed).
Online petitions have been shown to not have any value in attempting to get representatives to deal with items. The most effective outside of going in person and being polite and neatly dressed (and having been consistently registered to vote really helps) is a hand written mailed letter. E-mails also do not carry any where nearly as much weight.....

Ed
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
The most effective outside of going in person and being polite and neatly dressed (and having been consistently registered to vote really helps) is a hand written mailed letter. E-mails also do not carry any where nearly as much weight.....
Ed
Yep this is exactly what I did. I got a snail-mail response to my letter - It is posted above.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM

The links didn't carry through but this is the latest e-mail going out by PIJAC

Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act – HR 669

Last year, PIJAC testified on behalf of the pet industry in opposition to HR 6311, the 2008 version of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act. That bill died at the end of the 2007-2008 legislative session. A new version – HR 669 – has been introduced.

HR 669 contains many of the problematic provisions found in last year’s bill, plus even more restrictive provisions. PIJAC urges people to remain calm while the bill works its way through the process. A PIJAC PetAlert will be distributed with more information and updates will be posted here.

In anticipation of this new bill, PIJAC organized a broad-based coalition which has been holding periodic telephone conferences.

As expected, there has been strong reaction to the introduction of HR 669; PIJAC is working to quell any panic until specific and unified action needed. In the mean time, please note:

PIJAC has been working this issue since well before HR 669 was introduced and has been tracking this process for almost one year.
PIJAC has been meeting with House of Representatives staff responsible for managing this process, and specifically working on HR 669.
PIJAC has been meeting with senior US Fish and Wildlife Service officials responsible for policy as well as implementation of the invasive species laws.
PIJAC has created a Coalition involving trade associations and others representing a wide variety of potentially affected industries (i.e. pet industry, food aquaculture, zoos/aquariums, and game ranches).
The Coalition is critically analyzing the bill; developing messaging points; and planning to develop a policy position paper.
People need to remain calm throughout the process and to recognize that this is only the beginning of a long process.
IT IS PARAMOUNT THAT ALL SEGMENTS OF THE PET INDUSTRY ARE PERCEIVED AS HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF THIS PROCESS. IF PERCEIVED OTHERWISE, WE WILL LOSE OUR CREDIBILITY AND WITHOUT OUR CREDIBILITY, OUR COLLECTIVE AND INDIVIDUAL VOICES WILL HAVE LITTLE TO NO IMPACT.
Petitions are nowhere as effective as well crafted letters addressing key points in the legislation. So please wait until more information is posted here on the PIJAC HR 669 Forum.
CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES - they will be posted here.

Please click here to read PIJAC's PetAlert on HR 669.

Please click here to read the full text of HR 669.

Please click here to read PIJAC's testimony opposing HR 6311 in front of the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, and Oceans.

Please click here for more information on the pet industry's historical position regarding non-native wildlife in the pet trade.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
IT IS PARAMOUNT THAT ALL SEGMENTS OF THE PET INDUSTRY ARE PERCEIVED AS HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF THIS PROCESS. IF PERCEIVED OTHERWISE, WE WILL LOSE OUR CREDIBILITY AND WITHOUT OUR CREDIBILITY, OUR COLLECTIVE AND INDIVIDUAL VOICES WILL HAVE LITTLE TO NO IMPACT.
I think this is certainly an important point. Something I've been weighing heavily with the recent board discussions regarding illicit ownership of pdf's in state's where they are banned and in boarding planes carrying creatures that are specifically prohibited by the particular airline. I think it's important that we display (as a pet hobby) our ability and willingness to follow the rules!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Now solely as a thought exercise, there are two different ways to consider this legislation.. either try to defeat it every year (as its not going to go away as those groups with deep pockets can keep pulling up photos of nile monitors, burmese and boas to get the general populace into a frenzy) or get the bill into something that can be lived with already (*and modified if needed).
Has anyone proposed a compromise? I still remember the boa / python proposed federal ban. I never understood why there couldn't have been a compromise requiring Florida residents to pay a license for keeping large constrictors-- or just ban certain ones. African clawed frogs are illegal in CA and several states-- but not EVERYWHERE in the US. But, one can get a permit for special reasons to obtain these animals in states where they are illegal.

Keep in mind-- importations of amphibians can have a negative effect on populations. I surely would like to see the importations of mantellas slowed or stopped eventually. It's heartbreaking to see more N. kaiseri imported when the newts are critically endangered, and there are already CB animals available. Because Bombina orientalis, Pelodryas caerulea, D. auratus, etc. are easy to breed, there should not be any more WC imports.

This new bill also could help prevent outbreaks with invasive animals like northern snakeheads.

However, there is no way that any of my frogs can get established in the wild here in KS, and considering that I'm eventually going to register with ASN, the bill counters what it seeks to support.

But-- I agree, the bill is a waste of my tax money and infringes on my rights as a citizen. Plus, it will make a dent in the economy, as the pet industry is big business.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 04-02-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 PM

I thought the sky was falling and the seas were rising
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post

However, there is no way that any of my frogs can get established in the wild here in KS, and considering that I'm eventually going to register with ASN, the bill counters what it seeks to support.
You need to read the whole proposed legislation. Its more than if they can simply get established. If for example it can be shown that they are also a threat to human health or animal health they can also be banned regardless of whether or not they can get established in Kansas or any other state..
For example, your frogs could in theory all end up on the banned list because they could in theory be a vector for salmonella.....

Ed
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Sponsor

They really want all of this to pass.

Thanks for posting the April 23rd hearing date. I am running for local office and have been a bit busy to be posting.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melas View Post
Yep this is exactly what I did. I got a snail-mail response to my letter - It is posted above.
Snail mail is usually the best way to get something done. I mean if you get 100,000 people to send that many letters to disapprove or approve something I bet you they would listen considering they can't get to their desk. The internet is to vast and sometimes too hard to find a petition sometimes and Emails well once the Inbox is full there's no more coming in. Besides if I were a congressman or whoever I could always say to my techie guy to clear out certain emails or ignore it all together. Like, "Miracle on 34th Street" There really is a Santa Clause and the courts ruled in favor of him because of the letters. LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Sponsor

Do not forget calling. Organized calling hitting the phone lines is great. The office gets the picture when 100+ members of an organization, 100+ shoppers of the local pet shop jam the phone lines on the issue. It is not just an issue of states rights, but an issue of economics.

Edit: Here are the facts to add to your letter/call: From the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA)

Kept as Pets:
Reptiles/Amphibians - 13.4 million
Small animals - 24.3 million

In 2007, $41.2 billion spent on pet products, services, and purchase of pets from dogs-dart frogs.

Last edited by JJuchems; 04-08-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Hey all! I don't want to post the exact forum I got this from so I don't piss off anyone and I am not sure how much of this is true but regardless. Here it is....

----> NO HR 669 <---
__________________________________________________ ______________
disturbedr6
User

graphgraph

Re:HR 669 ..Please Help - 2009/04/09 16:01 my dad has talked to the head guy at US ARK who was on washington all day yesterday with pijac talking to lobbyists etc... they have the power, money and the votes to get this passed if we dont help

when asked what do we do with our pets now? they said we could care less, kill them, eat them let them go.. "its for the greater good and that much closer to us not owning any animal as a pet"

The site that goes live tomorrow is NO HR 669 and is a colaborative effort of Pijac, Adam Wysocki, Pete Kahl, Brian Barcyzk and max pet supply.

There will be avatars and signature banners to put on your profile for all the forums you visit. They will be going to fish, bird, rodent forms, etc. NO HR 669 will not be focusing just on the ban of reptiles, but all animals in jeopardy.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I am not sure where this info is coming from, other than that this was on another forum that I visited. I just thought it might be important info. If it is wrong, then so be it, but I rather than be safe than sorry.

Last edited by atlfrog; 04-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM

One last thing. I have contacted my local News CBS, NBC, etc. to make them aware of the issues as hand. I am not sure what to expect but I did some research and from what I can see, I can be wrong, there are no news on this issue. My local NBC branch wanted the info pretty quick. He said that he hasn't heard anything through the "wire" and than he look into it. Now I am not sure how the process works or if or if not this will help, but so far no one has heard of this issue as being news worthy. Is someone lieing to me, I don't know but I wanted to make it a point to send them emails and call in just to say hello, and also point out that this is going on. I have also contacted a popular radio station that loves to help out in this situation, but I am not sure if they will take it on due to the complexity of the situation. I hope that this bill doesn't pass. Will it, probably not, but there is some dreadful reality that it might. I will trek on and keep sending my information out there till I see this thing through with factual evidence, a level head, and persistence. I hope we are all doing the same.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM

I was tempted to bring up this issue during the Wild Life Society meeting today at school. This is just one tiny chapter but over all it is a very large oraganization and I believe the oldest wildlife group in practice. Some of the professors attending have worked and still do a lot of work for DEC and US fish and wildlife. But I had a strong feeling that no one was going to understand where I was coming from. I think presented with the information many of the students who are still very young and green would not see past what is being proposed and the threat it has to the captive care of so many species. They would be way to quick to side with fish and wildlife and the idea that HR 669 is supposed to protect native species. I may think about how to bring it up at next meeting next week.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Who really thinks this is gonna pass???? Seriously.... the reptile industry alone brings in 3 billion dollars and this bill affect all non native wildlife not just us..we have been done this road before and it always has turned into nothing..we all need to relax until this bill is actually put forth to congress..until then where all just speculating
Brian
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Sponsor

I have placed major links on CIHerp.info , it is mostly what I posted when I started this thread. Let try and keep to the facts and not what you have heard. A key point when talking on the issue is to stay on the goal.

Grassroots start. I am purposing and have started here in Central Illinois a call in Day. We are trying to get everyone to call your representative on Monday April 20th. The goal is keep the phone lines busy if not jammed from those in opposition.

So Call on April 20th!!!!! Look up your representative here: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Last edited by JJuchems; 04-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Sponsor

I tried attaching a word doc, but that did not work. I have placed it on www.ciherp.com. We are working with local pet shops to get the word around and placed a press release with local media outlets.

Last edited by JJuchems; 04-10-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuchems View Post
I tried attaching a word doc, but that did not work. I have placed it on www.ciherp.com. We are working with local pet shops to get the word around and placed a press release with local media outlets.
Hey! Your link didn't show up good. I should hear something within 72hrs from NBC as I received an email from them. Although a generic email reply, I hope to find out something. The same came in from CBS. I just happen to check it and it was from was earlier today. So we'll see what's gonna happen there. I haven't given up hope elsewhere but I will continue with my other avenues as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Sponsor

Sorry, its CIHerp.info The com is the future site of our reptile/amphibian sale.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Urgent Letter to the Reptile Nation / HR669

The latest correspondence from USARK - they think it's serious so I think it's serious. Sure this could blow over but if it doesn't EVERYONE on this board would be affected, especially those making any part of their living off of herp sales . . . GET INVOLVED!!

Quote:
Reptile Nation,

I know that we are facing dangerous and confusing times for the Reptile Community. Our end is upon us if we don't take decisive action to save ourselves. We have the power to decide our own future if we will only wake up and do what needs to be done!!

Thank you to those of you who have taken it upon yourself to take action. I know it has been frustrating. Congress is not set up to be reached by email. We have experienced broken links, constituent filters, blocks and deletions. But our opponents at HSUS lobbying for the bill have faced the same setbacks; although they have shown up in much larger numbers. As for the groups opposing the bill, USARK has generated the most contacts according to congressional staffers. But we must do much better or we will fail.

I just returned from a trip to Capitol Hill. Our lobbyist Tom Wolfe set up meetings with both sides of the Congressional Subcommittee considering HR669. We also did drop in visits to subcommittee member offices to make our case. Support was split down party lines. The Republicans support us and the Democrats oppose us. The Democrat side can win with a straight party line vote. The good news is that since meeting with USARK the Ranking Republican Rep Harry Brown, SC contacted me and has made this bill a priority. He has given us precise instructions on how to most effectively contact the subcommittee.

The Reptile Community must wake up or all will be lost. This is a huge mailing list. Yet only a few are taking action to contact the subcommittee. If everyone on this list did their part we would avalanche the subcommittee and make our point. We could kill HR669. We need to get off our lazy asses and start writing and calling the subcommittee members. The Hearing is on the 23rd of this month. That is all the time we have to save ourselves from being completely destroyed... and make no mistake, if HR669 passes the Reptile Community will be decimated overnight.

Rep Brown's office suggests we focus on direct contact with subcommittee members. That means written letters followed up by phone calls. They are telling us that email and fax are the least effective way to contact members... they get lost and deleted. We need to call and write. They are also saying to send the letters directly to our lobbyist and have him deliver them in mass to the subcommittee members. If you are focusing on other activities STOP until after you complete this important task. Start calling and writing. The Key is IN MASS!!! It has greater impact that way. The time is now to fight for your life. We must convince several Democrats to oppose HR669 to prevail.

This is what we need to do:

1. Write a letter to each member of the subcommittee. Click this link http://www.usark.org/uploads/hr669sample.pdf for the sample letter from our archive and names and phone numbers for committee members.

2.Label each envelope w/ the committee members name and your name and return address.

3. Put all these letters in a large manila envelope and send to: Tom Wolfe, 6246 Lee Hwy, Arlington, VA 22205

4. Call each member of the subcommittee- you will be speaking with staff. Let them know you Oppose HR669. Be civil, but tell them how this will effect you and your family.

5. Check where members are from. If any of the members are your district representatives, or are from your state, make sure they know you are their constituent.

If we are not annihilated by HR669 be prepared to do this over and over again. From now on political action will be needed regularly to maintain our rights. If you have not joined USARK please click the link on the bottom of the page and protect your rights. Please post this letter on every forum and social networking site you can think of.

Sincerely,

Andrew Wyatt

President USARK

Last edited by melas; 04-10-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Please watch...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FPfL212CB8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FPfL212CB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Awesome Vid. Verifies the info I posted earlier. Sorry guys I do not know how to embed the video so here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPfL212CB8
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM

here you go!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melas View Post
here you go!

Thanks for doing that for me. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:48 PM

anyone who hasnt filled this out yet please do it. NO HR 669

http://www.myspace.com/stutterfly2000
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Sponsor

DO NOT EMAIL OR FAX!!!!!

I have a friend who has worked on several large campaigns (Dole presidential) and this not the way to contact reps. USARK just sent out an email stating the same thing. Call and write snail mail!!!

That is why I am trying to put together "Call In Against HR 669" on April 20, call your local rep and all 13 sponsors of the legislation.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuchems View Post
DO NOT EMAIL OR FAX!!!!!

I have a friend who has worked on several large campaigns (Dole presidential) and this not the way to contact reps. USARK just sent out an email stating the same thing. Call and write snail mail!!!

That is why I am trying to put together "Call In Against HR 669" on April 20, call your local rep and all 13 sponsors of the legislation.
That's pretty funny as I said that in different forums all over the place. LOL and on my Youtube, and radio show. LOL BUT I signed it anyway, as a precautionary. But I have hit various of other channels as well. Snail mail, local news, and so many other places. I have told tons of people, radio shows, etc. BUT the word is getting out there and that's what matters. We will stop this as long as we keep being persistent.

PS: The NoHR669 site also provides sending letters as well as emails.