Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Who here has gone to Costa Rica?

I was interested in seeing who here has gone to Costa Rica and what you may have done while there? My bro and I will be going in mid July and I just wanted to see if anyone here has any must do activities to share? We will be spending most if not all of the time in the Monteverde area. Our activity list has all the main and popular things to do on it like sky trek tour, monteverde reserve, hiking in different areas, coffee plantation, Santa Elena reserve, mountain biking….. We were thinking about renting a 4X4 but decided against it because of the cost factor. Also for the photographers out there what do you think about bringing a SLR camera and multiple lenses, as well as a digital camera, good idea or should I just bring disposables?
thanks in advance.
ADAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 AM

I've been twice, totally amazing. I have been too a ton of Southeast Asian Countries, Europe N. America and Costa Rica is the coolest, most diverse area. You can see pictures from my last trip in my photogallery in my signature. If you want to see a lot of blue jean pums and regular auratus go here http://www.selvaverde.com/ that is a nice place, rustic but not too rustic really good service and have a short frog walk where 2/3 of my frog pics were taken, literally thousands of frogs. My favourite reserve in the country that I have been to is La Selva http://www.ots.ac.cr/en/laselva/ . Also, for solid red pums and caimens iguanas and lots of others head up to Tortuguero, its a while to get there up north but its a amazing, I can't find the link to a lodge I stayed at but PM me later and I'll find it. Have fun, its really amazing!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Sort of on the same topic: I see a lot of us on the forum are students. Is any body familiar with OTS?

I'm currently trying to get in to an 8 week graduate ecology course with OTS in Costa Rica. It is a great course if you want to do work in the tropics.

For all the undergrads OTS runs an REU at La Selva. Its ~10 weeks working on a research project under a proffessor from a member institution, and it comes with a 3000$ dollar stipend (last I checked).

If you want to work in the tropics you should realy check them out.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:33 PM

Next summer I am going with my brother, friend, and possibly girlfriend. Although the majority of the trip will be spent in Bocas del toro panama. For those of you that don't know. Nearly ALL pumilio except blue-jeans and solid reds, come from this area. I have heard of many accounts of frog viewing on Bastimento Isle. A guy from BDG was talking about it and said that he couldn't find a spot to stand where he couldn't see pumilio. Thousands upon thousands within a few acre old banana plantation. Not to mention the snorkeling in Bocas looks like a lot of fun. Lots of reefs and lots of white sand beaches. I was planning on spending a few days in costa rica before heading down to bocas. I was also looking at selva verde. Either way, both places are dirt cheap and look like a boat load of fun. later

Kevin Hoff Ranaculture
Old 03-17-2004, 06:28 PM

I leave for San Jose on Friday..not sure I'll be able to do any herping while there but you'd better believe I'll try. I'm going with my college to do a short term missions trip and work with the kids. I want to see so many things while there but I'll be content if I could just see any pumilio don't care which morph just one.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:07 AM

i spent two weeks working with hummingbirds in monteverde They have night tours where you can find treefrogs and anoles, and i found one viper, but there are not darts there. The broms and epiphytes will blow you away.. go to santa elena or tortuguero because the auratus and especially pumilios are like ants or mosquitos reall everywhere. after going there its a wonder that pums are so hard to find in captivity cause they out number everything else
Old 03-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoff
Next summer I am going with my brother, friend, and possibly girlfriend. Although the majority of the trip will be spent in Bocas del toro panama. For those of you that don't know. Nearly ALL pumilio except blue-jeans and solid reds, come from this area. I have heard of many accounts of frog viewing on Bastimento Isle. A guy from BDG was talking about it and said that he could find a spot to stand where he couldn't see pumilio. Thousands upon thousands within a few acre old banana plantation. Not to mention the snorkeling in Bocas looks like a lot of fun. Lots of reefs and lots of white sand beaches. I was planning on spending a few days in costa rica before heading down to bocas. I was also looking at selva verde. Either way, both places are dirt cheap and look like a boat load of fun. later
Bocas del Toro is the mecca for pumilio enthusiasts. I spent a week there last summer. The place is unbeatable for the "island attitude" and the sight seeing is incredible. I hiked the length of bastimentos (not for the weak) and saw several different morphs and intermediary morphs - and that was just on Isla Bastimentos. Each island seems to have at least one morph of pumilio, and they tend to be very abundant, as mentioned. You can also find some really cool looking auratus, lugubris, and colustethus talamancae. I wished so badly that I could collect it made me want to just buy some land (or squat it) and just live there. Sadly, they have been doing alot of deforestation there lately. One place I went to in Isla Colon, I found a really cool pumilio that had green body and orangish legs. I shot lots of photos and video of us hunting these guys. Dense rainforest just off to the left of a cow field. Its gone now. I heard that sinced then (just 7 mos. ago) it has been clear cut. What a shame.

enough ramblings,

Brian
Old 03-23-2004, 05:22 PM

Default oooohh

I've never been south of Florida, but my wife and I are planning a trip to the Bocas del Toro island region or Peru sometime next year. I've longed for trekking the South/Central American rainforests as long as I can remember and since pumilio and quenquevitatus spp. are my absolute favorite darts(frogs for that matter), these 2 places are prime candidates for my exploration crave.

-Bill J.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:04 AM

Default CR

Lucky you, I went with school in August and it was the best trip I have ever been on. They are actually leaving this week and i'm so jealous. I believe in monteverde there is something called a "frog pond" along with a serpentarium. The serpentarium was alright, and I was a little bit misled on the frog pond. I thought it was would be an outdoor adventure, they advertised it had guides with flashlights to show you frogs(which they did) but the frogs were in tanks inside a building. While it was different than I thought it a good exxperience. I did get to see 3 species of glassfrogs in real life. That right there was worth it for me. They also had granuliferus which was pretty cool too.

I'm sure you are going to but take the hike to the top of Monteverde. It was amazing. And like someone said the epiphytes and broms are amazing. Didn't see all that much wildlife there(some giant millipedes and a few other insects) but it was amazing. I'm sure you'll love it. Where else are you going besides Monteverde?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM

Default CR

HA, whoops. I just realized that this post was from 2004. Anyhow, if you read this let me know how you liked it.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:44 AM

Erin and I were there a year ago March. July is a great time to go. You're wasting your time if you don't visit Brian Kubicki's Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center http://www.cramphibian.com/ 90% of the things you'll want to see Brian will show you. E-mail him and be patient on the reply Brian is a busy guy.

Go to Arenal and check out the volcano. Also go on a night time tour at the hanging bridges.

Check out a bullfight! Don't worry they don't kill the bull.

Get a REALLY powerful flashlight.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm taking a course there with http://www.lasuerte.org (1600 each, much cheaper than the above mentioned 3k+). Also an undergrad here soon to be grad. Leaving May 24th-June20th.. thanks for the tips on this thread.. can't wait.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 AM
TWI/ASN

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon. Landed in San Jose, I drove us to Arenal, saw the volcano did the hot springs, and then I drove us to Tamarindo. Surfed everyday I was there, it was rediculous. I never saw any frogs, but we did see some amazing broms and plants and geckos and water dragons and such. But after a while she didn't want to even hear the phrase dart frog come out of my mouth. It's not that she doesn't like them or appreciate them it's that we weren't in that "region" of the country and she's not the hiking all day type. We wanted to relax and unfortunately PDF "hunting" wasn't on the ticket. But next time we go it's going to be the main attraction, and she's not going to find out about till we get there. B/C I'm gonna do all the planning this [email protected]@@@@!!!!!!!!!!! hAhahahahahhahaha!!! :twisted:
Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 AM

the trip was awsome. my bro and i started off in san jose and went to arenal, did the vol. hike. as well as a couple other things that have slipped my mind. then we went to monteverde and hiked both the reserves in the area as well as the private grounds that the lodge had to offer. also while in montverde we went to the frog pond place, and couple other places in town.
i have to say one of my most fav. parts of the trip was the traveling from area to area. the country side was awsome, and the people were very nice. we took a com. van/bus from place to place as well as a boat across arenal lake. altogether we spent something like 10/11 days in costa rica.
on our hikes we saw many animals like sloths, howler monkeys, some ant eater type animal, different types of frogs(frog pond mostly), while in monteverde a vulture was nested near by and flew over the cliff every morning. we also saw many birds, and bugs, as well as some snakes, couple being vipers. i have a guide book and stuff that i bought while in the airport to help me with all the animals but that is put away right now. its been a while.

things that i would do differently would be only take a hiking bakc pack for lug., keep all my money in US $(bring a updated $exchange rate), not let anyone know that i was going(i have a big family and everybody wanted something)lol. also brush up on my spanish before going. i nderstood some stuff that was said to me, but couldn't reply in spanish, or at least very little.
take it easy
ADAM