No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gazza31112

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM

Default New klemmari setup

Hey everyone, new to this forum

I'm in process of setting up a klemmari exo terra 45x45x60cm Viv.

Just waiting for the plants to grow in a bit more and for life to get back to normal to get a few geckos.... Can't wait!!!

Happy with how the Viv is shaping up.

It's a false bottom setup with a small pump pumping up to the top dripping in several places off spider wood down to the java moss below and ABG mix soil and leaf litter, (waiting to finish to add springtails)

Just finishing the plumbing over the last few days, at the moment I have drilled a double bulkhead, one to act as a overflow once the water level passes a certain point it drains back into the reservoir, and one used to fill the false bottom using a Y connector switchable from the mistking pump after a full drain.

Also a drain bulkhead underneath the tank to completely drain when doing a clean out.

Everything is connected to ball valves so is easily controlled and can be switched between, misting the Viv, filling the false bottom and draining.

Also got a fogger on a timer switch to gently fog the bottom of the Viv through a cork bark "tree trunk" every few hours to make sure the java stays wet.

Seems pretty constant 75-80% humidity so far so happy with that

Plant wise just a few miscellaneous eBay vivarium plants and a few bromeliads, a mix of wild collected cleaned moss, which to my suprise for the first time is actually doing very well and actually growing and attaching itself to wood!

It seems good light and RO water is the key to growing temperate UK moss, failed so many times before so fingers crossed!

Hardscape is alot of spider wood I used to have in my aquarium and some cork branches

Been getting some orange mushrooms popping up over last few days so must be getting something right!

Light wise I have a jungle dawn LED 22w bulb which I'm impressed with, an Exo terra 6% UVB bulb stretching diagonally across the top of the screen, with a plexiglass sheet covering about 1/3rd of the light, so hopefully creating a space away from UVB for the geckos.

And an Exo terra 25w heat bulb above the main basking branch with is reaching a max of 32c

All boxed in with a small usb fan which I havnt got set up yet (planning on a timer switch just on for a few seconds an hour just to get some air circulation)

Ordered some gloss white PVC panels to tidy up the outside and finish the cabinet

Excuse the scruffiness of the hardware so far, in the process of making everything look a bit more tidy.

Just getting everything dialed in and working first.

Will get some more pics on when fully completed.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk
Ravage likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 PM

Default Re: New klemmari setup

Looks good. Love klemmeris

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 02:06 AM
Mod

I highly recommend you find a gecko forum.

Geckos are occasionally brought up here - but they are not the main topic.

As someone else has noted - you *can* use The Lounge subforum here to speak on this topic. It was a good suggestion.

Last edited by Scott; 05-21-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 AM

Default Klemmeri

I recently saw a post about klemmeris. And while they are off topic... one could have kindly suggested it be put in the lounge. The description of that area expressly says off topic. As that member was new... some guidance would have been helpful. Just my 2 cents. But the abruptness of the reply was discouraging.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Mod

Default Re: Klemmeri

Excellent suggestion.

The abruptness of the reply was not the first reply to the subject though.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 PM

Space and light are the focus, not water management. A larger environment, some bamboo and a good handsprayer.

No need to 'protect' the klemmeri from the full expanse of UVB exposure, they will be healthier and get along better if they arent competing for prime exposure.

No offense but the presence of mushrooms has 0 relevance to its suitability for this sp. It actually hints that things are too cool, too damp, and too dimly lit for this species.

Im making this comment knowing how pretty set ups are copied like images on fire online, esp when accompanied by well installed relevant looking equipment.

Sorry but I like these guys.

Last edited by Kmc; 05-26-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Just to tag onto that - it looks very wet: day geckos can easily get skin diseases / infection / rot, and Neons are quite difficult to catch / treat if something happens.

In the wild they live on dry and humid yellow bamboo (and actually enjoy the round / smooth texture since it works well for their sticky feet and they can hide by scooting off to the other side of it). They only need 60-80% humidity.

I would strongly recommend (i) lots of moving air* (ii) brighter lights at the top + heat lamp depending on your tank temps and (33) differently sized and oriented bamboo rods and tubes for them to hide in. Bonus points if there is a bit of tree fern against one of the sides (my group of four always seem to sleep behind it in a bundle).

I've been keeping mine like that for several years now and they are very healthy, active and I've even gotten them to hop onto my hand for snacks (honey / bee pollen).

*You can accomplish that with a 12cm or smaller PC fan + a fine filter like this on both sides (you can even have that inside the tank if you seal off all holes): https://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...c223s548#blank