No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UnFleshedOne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Ant vivarium,Formicarium

Hi all,
I watch a lot of a youtuber called Ants Canada, He makes some very cool ant vivariums however he has never done a setup video or how to. Any of you ever kept ants or raised them in a vivarium style setup? If there are any forums you can point me to or give me some advice that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktaco View Post
Hi all,
I watch a lot of a youtuber called Ants Canada, He makes some very cool ant vivariums however he has never done a setup video or how to. Any of you ever kept ants or raised them in a vivarium style setup? If there are any forums you can point me to or give me some advice that would be great!
Main advice, get some test tubes and catch a queen or five now. New colony will live in that test tube for the first year, and then in a tiny formicarium after that for few more years. I have a small colony, 3rd year now, and it's like 20-40 ants strong, set to double or tripple this year.

While the colony grows you'll have plenty of time to research formicarium builds or to find a prebuilt one. There are a bunch of decent ones on aliexpress for example, I got 2 from there. (after the one I built from a firebrick failed because of hard water deposits).

You would almost never want to give your colony access to a kind of vivarium people build here -- if they like it they will burrow and you will never see the queen again.

To catch a queen, keep your eyes firmly on the ground wherever you walk and carry several small containers at all times. You will recognize a queen right away, she would be like a minivan among scooters compared to the rest of the ants. Find out when ants fly in your area and what species they are, usually there will be plenty of chances during the summer.

I'll post some links to good resources tomorrow when I find them again.
Rocktaco likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Ant vivarium,Formicarium

I made this setup intended for decomposer invertebrates including roaches, isopods, springtails and millipedes. Although now I might have to start over because predatory flatworms got into it somehow. I'm thinking about adding Porcellio scaber because I read that they might eat flatworms.

This kind of thing with a leaf litter and rotten log should be good for an invert setup and it's pretty easy to put together. Maybe ants could go into something like this as well and maybe, depending upon diet, they could also get along with other inverts. For ants likely to nest in rotting wood this could give you some control for where they go.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Ant vivarium,Formicarium

Here is a good guide with all basic info on ant keeping you will need:

Ant Keeping Guide for Beginners - General Ant Keeping - Ants & Myrmecology Forum