No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 03:51 PM
Mod

Default Re: Reviving DB

What functionality?

Provide some ideas and I'll forward them on to VS.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 04:33 PM

Now that you mention it, I can't recall a single major update to the functionality of this forum in the 6+ years I have been using it (could just be my poor memory). That is a long, long time in the tech world. Is this because of cost, effort, both? Who would be a decision-maker on migrating to a newer version? Do mods have any say in this?

edit: Didn't see Scott's post before I wrote this. In answer, I would say the way the way the forum handles pictures, the private message system (specifically, I would like to be able to send attachments), and some filters (date!!!!) for the search bar. I would also be interested in what other people have to say about potential upgrades.

Mark

Last edited by Encyclia; 01-07-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
some filters (date!!!!) for the search bar.

Mark
This would be very helpful

Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM

A few things I'd like to see (most of these stolen from Arachnoboards, which I would consider a more modern style forum):

Dedicated picture hosting (as has been mentioned several times); The ability to directly upload a picture, from a hard drive, to my post, would be great.

More reactions to posts; eg 'helpful, informative, funny, love, award, etc'.

Ability to highlight text in a post and have a little pop-up box with some functionality, like quote or reply.

User titles; different 'levels' of users based on post counts and/or support level.

Ability to have a 'dendro-supporter' tag so you can have custom titles. Ability for members to monetarily support dendroboard, but not at the level of say what a business would be able to. 20-40$ a year or something like that, would give you access to like change your username color for instance, have a custom title. Would also be able to do a 'supporting members' classifieds area and then a normal classifieds. I'm not sure what the normal classifieds area limitations are anymore but would make it easier to lower those to quiet member grouching about how they can't get to them.

Site 'skins.' Would be nice to be able to have several different themes for the boards we could choose from.

Updated link library/wiki and maybe just have it also host some general info: biology of dendrobates, can put all the care sheets up there, etc. Also place to have research papers go for discussion. I tried to start a research paper of the month on here years ago, but with little response I only made it a couple of months. Maybe worth trying again. But, once established, when folks are having discussions it would be nice to be able to just link over to another page on dendroboard as a 'source' for your info, similar to what wikipedia would do.

Have a media 'banner' and gallery that pops up on the home page of user uploaded pictures.

I'd like to see more of a push to highlight local groups and meetups among hobbyists as I think this makes the hobby far more enjoyable. Several facebook groups are useful for this, but for those of use who are loath to use FB it'd be nice to be able to do that on here more easily.

These are just some initial thoughts; I'm sure there are other things as well that folks are thinking of.
Encyclia and Ravage like this.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:25 PM

Boy, I've been on this soapbox about once a year for a couple of years now. This site runs on a version of VBulletin that is 2 major releases behind the current version. Everytime i bring it up in the tech sub-board there's noises about the new version not being stable, or this or that. It seems to work well enough for the Denver Broncos and NASA!
Seriously, the problem might be in the server version that this site is hosted from, or the php version. Hard to tell, but pretty much everything asked for is ready to go, OOTB, with a VBulletin update. The ability to accept support donations would probably cover the cost of the upgrade.
But we remain at the mercy of whoever is the: ROOT here.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Mod

Problem is ... VS has a zillion websites. I doubt they're real excited to make this change across the board.

s
Old 01-10-2020, 02:58 AM
Mod

I suspect that DB must be one of the lowest grossing sites in the VS portfolio in terms of ad revenue, and if it ain't making money, they aren't likely to spend time/money on updates or function improvements. VS will never love this site like we do.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 AM

I donít know who vs is, but why not do like some of the reef / aquarium forums Iím a member of, and charge for upgraded memberships?

Redo the sponsor section and get new / more sponsors with their own sections.

If itís a generating money thing, howís the time to generate. Facebook because of some pact with peta outlawed all animal sales, many people migrated to MeWe, but this is the perfect time to invest some funding and strike while the iron is hot.

As for me, the image hosting situation is horrible.. I hate that because a company decided to charge. Ton of money, we lost access to some very informative pictures that where really helpful. If there was a more streamlines easy way to archive those pictures and -route to them from the next company that decides to charge, thatís pretty important for the longevity of the hobby.

The search function isnít great, but Iíve managed to figure out what I needed.

I would love to see the site updated and modernized as much as the others are posting. But, I can tell you at least weekly I see posts on Facebook from people saying they canít even sign up here because of an error message they get.. I direct them to the email I was given, but it makes me wonder how many donít even bother, or just give up?

I really enjoy this forum, and I want to see it grow. I wasnít here in the heyday, but Iíd at least like to see a glimpse of what it was like once again.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Problem is ... VS has a zillion websites. I doubt they're real excited to make this change across the board.

s
So they are making people put up with this interface across all of their forums? Seems like it maybe time for a system-wide update. Time to drag them kicking and screaming into the 20th century (let alone the 21st...)!

Mark
Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Time to drag them kicking and screaming into the 20th century (let alone the 21st...)!
How, exactly?

I'm in agreement that there needs to be changed in order to drive growth.

My perception of the order of importance:

1) Sign up issues need to be resolved. Signing up should be so easy that it's never, ever, ever mentioned.

2) Image hosting.

-----A wide gulf------

3) Everything else mentioned previously by others.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
hannamaxgracie likes this.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:11 PM

Agreed. My assumption was based on what Ravage said about them being multiple major releases behind in the software that they use. I was thinking that many things on your list and the others in this thread would be taken care of with a software update. Maybe that is incorrect, though.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
How, exactly?

I'm in agreement that there needs to be changed in order to drive growth.

My perception of the order of importance:

1) Sign up issues need to be resolved. Signing up should be so easy that it's never, ever, ever mentioned.

2) Image hosting.

-----A wide gulf------

3) Everything else mentioned previously by others.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 12:06 PM

It is strange that new users are not allowed to access the marketplace. It is the new users that need to buy things, yet this site will not allow access???
Old 01-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Mod

Very good reasoning behind it.

Scammers show up to scam (post bogus classifieds and steal $) and nothing else. So by having to post a bit, you show a bit more who you are. The rules have changed regarding posting classifieds to help facilitate this a bit more as well.

Haven't had a scammer issue in years. Not worth the "time" investment to do it apparently.

It IS worth the time investment to become part of the community here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfrog View Post
It is strange that new users are not allowed to access the marketplace. It is the new users that need to buy things, yet this site will not allow access???
Old 01-12-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Very good reasoning behind it.

Scammers show up to scam (post bogus classifieds and steal $) and nothing else. So by having to post a bit, you show a bit more who you are. The rules have changed regarding posting classifieds to help facilitate this a bit more as well.

Haven't had a scammer issue in years. Not worth the "time" investment to do it apparently.

It IS worth the time investment to become part of the community here.
Why couldn't new user only be allowed to reply/buy/access the classified board? Is there no way to limit a new post vs a reply to a sale post? I read the board daily dont really post. Many people become "involved" by getting more involved in the hobby and interact with individuals or as more questions arise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 07:31 PM
Mod

Scammers can work in both directions. They can also try to "steal" what you have - by offering a good price and then finding a way to reverse the purchase - after they have the goods.

It's better all the way around to be a part of the community before participating in Classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibson2417 View Post
Why couldn't new user only be allowed to reply/buy/access the classified board? Is there no way to limit a new post vs a reply to a sale post? I read the board daily dont really post. Many people become "involved" by getting more involved in the hobby and interact with individuals or as more questions arise.

TarantulaGuy and Lucano like this.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 PM

IMHO a post count doesn't stop scammers or in any meaningful way, it does, however, deter normal people.
For reference, I sell on Facebook all the time to people who join any number of groups and have sold to many people who are brand new with no history and after hundreds to thousands of sales I have yet to be hardcore ripped off once and have only had a couple of sales that I felt the buyer was being unfair.

The worst scammers we have encountered IME have all worked their way well into this community and ironically in doing so they managed to rip multiple people off over and over in doing so, people who were also deep in the community.

So for me, I just view it as people selling lose access to potential sales and in exchange they arent protected to any significant amount that would offset the loss in sales. Heck sales themselves can help new people, almost all of us do some consulting when a new customer makes contact.

There are so many ways for a seller to protect themselves. 1 only accept payments from new people as gifts, you can even use venmo, if it really bothers you look at their post count and pass on the customer. I mean you can see their post count right there. Personally I would rather let the seller do that filtering on their own.
bgibson2417 likes this.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
IMHO a post count doesn't stop scammers or in any meaningful way, it does, however, deter normal people.

For reference, I sell on Facebook all the time to people who join any number of groups and have sold to many people who are brand new with no history and after hundreds to thousands of sales I have yet to be hardcore ripped off once and have only had a couple of sales that I felt the buyer was being unfair.

The worst scammers we have encountered IME have all worked their way well into this community and ironically in doing so they managed to rip multiple people off over and over in doing so, people who were also deep in the community.

So for me, I just view it as people selling lose access to potential sales and in exchange they arent protected to any significant amount that would offset the loss in sales. Heck sales themselves can help new people, almost all of us do some consulting when a new customer makes contact.

There are so many ways for a seller to protect themselves. 1 only accept payments from new people as gifts, you can even use venmo, if it really bothers you look at their post count and pass on the customer. I mean you can see their post count right there. Personally I would rather let the seller do that filtering on their own.
Yep. Totally agree. People that have more than enough technology in their work and personal life like me will just go outside the group to purchase. Oh well.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM

Due to some life stuff I haven't time for ANY of my hobbies for the past year or so. I got rid of most of my frog collection and haven't visited the forum(s) in as much time. (Viv's are all still running though)

For whatever it's worth, I've been back for a month or so, and things seem slow around here. I noticed the absence of a few formerly active members, a few familiar faces, and the usual abundance of frequently repeated questions rapid-fired from 1 or 2 brand new usernames.

I also noticed the other forum (not affiliated with DB, but had shared members) closed, so half my frog bookmarks are dead ends now.

I think forums tend to wax and wane, and while there are still advancements being made in the hobby, there really only is so much to talk about when not answering the same usual questions (which is fine, but people probably get bored of it)

Also, I hate it whenever I have to use Facebook and have not been an active member for probably a decade. So I prefer forums for sales and discussion.

Also also, why don't people just use imgur for image hosting?
RyanD and Encyclia like this.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
I suppose they could. They could also use the image system that is already here, but they'd need to understand images and the web, since this is an older system and it's functions are: "closer to the bone".
Here's a thread I did on images and the web a while back:https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/de...mages-web.html
It needs to be pointed out that Imgur, like photobucket and those that came before, are just one acquisition away from monetization, image loss and/or restriction/ad-injection. The previous image hosts, much like the Suns that came before ours, shined for their time and then collapsed into either: supernovae, or black holes.

Facebook, Instagram, the usual suspects, have made us spoiled with their fancy image tools (and super servers, which cost astronomical amounts to run, BTW). But it brings us back to one of the most often mentioned desires for this site: Better image handling. If the site was more user friendly, and graphic dense- the popularity could explode- with a concomitant increase in marketability.
If VS (again, whoever they are) considers this site a red-headed stepchild, than why not put it up for adoption? The first rule of marketing is: it takes money to make money. No investment, no return. The sites performance is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they gave it to the community, or another group with the means and will to make the site shine, they wouldn't have to listen to us continually pointing out how mediocre the site's production is. Leaving them free to focus on the sites that do keep their doors open and the lights on.
Phyllobates and TarantulaGuy like this.

Last edited by Ravage; 01-14-2020 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add supernova joke
Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post

Well, that is what people have to use, but why? making the hobby more accessible is a good thing and when a place like Facebook allows you to directly upload images right from your phone, computer, or whatever and link them in just about any format people like that. Also when you host images at free image hosting they often take them down or remove them, which is why an astronomical amount of older threads have tons of broken image links. Kinda sucks to go look through an old thread of reference and find most of the pictures broken. Web costs, and server space are so cheap now days that it doesnt cost hardly anything to properly host them first party.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
Well, that is what people have to use, but why? making the hobby more accessible is a good thing and when a place like Facebook allows you to directly upload images right from your phone, computer, or whatever and link them in just about any format people like that. Also when you host images at free image hosting they often take them down or remove them, which is why an astronomical amount of older threads have tons of broken image links. Kinda sucks to go look through an old thread of reference and find most of the pictures broken. Web costs, and server space are so cheap now days that it doesnt cost hardly anything to properly host them first party.

I agree, I think most of the forums I still visit has some sort of internal image hosting now. PlantedTank does, why can't it be implemented here? It would greatly help the community.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:01 PM

Ironic because the planted tank is actually owned by vertical scope the same company that owns dendroboard.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:26 PM

Hey so here's my 0.02, it seems that activity on Dendroboard decreased what, 5, 6 years ago? There are a lot of people who are interested in PDFs that have joined the hobby since then.
Is it possible that they just aren't as familiar with the wealth of knowledge on this site? I feel if, when we encounter people who have questions posted on Facebook or ****** or wherever else people are going with their PDF-related questions, that could be easily be answered with a search on DB, we just link them this site it could do wonders to revive it.
Froggers who haven't been in the hobby as long, like myself, would see how amazing this site is as a resource and might be more likely to make an account here.
RyanD, Encyclia and Lucano like this.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:11 AM

Here are my thoughts. I recently joined DB as a new hobbyist and it is often hard to get a response. When I do it is usually to search the site, etc. I know newbie questions have been answered a million times but the fact is that people like me need many options and want to find out what has worked for others that may actually work for me, not only the 7000 ways of doing everything out there. I like to ask questions and post followup to the answers to my own question and not only rely on what others have posted.

I have belonged to many forums for many different types of animals over several years and the replies to this one are the most unfriendly and condescending answers I have ever received on any of them...if I get an answer. Because of that I rarely post or even look here.

Instead I just do research and only post from time to time. The only time I even look is when I have a question that can’t be answered anywhere else.

Just my thoughts.
RyanD, Lucano, macg and 1 others like this.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonHobbyist View Post
Here are my thoughts. I recently joined DB as a new hobbyist and it is often hard to get a response. When I do it is usually to search the site, etc. I know newbie questions have been answered a million times but the fact is that people like me need many options and want to find out what has worked for others that may actually work for me, not only the 7000 ways of doing everything out there. I like to ask questions and post followup to the answers to my own question and not only rely on what others have posted.

I have belonged to many forums for many different types of animals over several years and the replies to this one are the most unfriendly and condescending answers I have ever received on any of them...if I get an answer. Because of that I rarely post or even look here.

Instead I just do research and only post from time to time. The only time I even look is when I have a question that canít be answered anywhere else.

Just my thoughts.

Iíve had the same experience. There is no doubt that there is some amazing info here, but Iíve been on much friendlier forums. This of course does not apply to every member, and Iím sure itís just a vocal minority, but it is a little discouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucano likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 PM

As a new user, I tried to make an account for months, but the signup registration functionality was broken. For a long time. I filled out the form but that never did anything. I think it was finally fixed last week. And now, to purchase from marketplace, I have to wait an "undisclosed time" and make a bunch of posts. I can't access half the things in the site—if I click my username to view my own profile, I get a restricted access block. The board software itself is super dated and doesn't feel nice to use. I feel like I'm back in 2005.

Honestly, I would prefer to migrate away from this and use something like R3dd!t (LOL I have to type it that way because it's censored. Didn't realize this board was run by China). There are tons of communities on there that have marketplaces that are active and thriving and require verification, such as here. It already has image hosting. People already have Redd!t accounts and aren't forced into signing up for yet another site, only to be restricted from access, unable to post images, etc. It has built-in search functionality. There can be bots that moderate things. Built-in search feature. Etc. This site is just antiquated.
TechnoCheese likes this.

Last edited by stevenacres; 01-24-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenacres View Post
As a new user, I tried to make an account for months, but the signup registration functionality was broken. For a long time. I filled out the form but that never did anything. I think it was finally fixed last week. And now, to purchase from marketplace, I have to wait an "undisclosed time" and make a bunch of posts. I can't access half the things in the siteóif I click my username to view my own profile, I get a restricted access block. The board software itself is super dated and doesn't feel nice to use. I feel like I'm back in 2005.

Honestly, I would prefer to migrate away from this and use something like R3dd!t (LOL I have to type it that way because it's censored. Didn't realize this board was run by China). There are tons of communities on there that have marketplaces that are active and thriving and require verification, such as here. It already has image hosting. People already have Redd!t accounts and aren't forced into signing up for yet another site, only to be restricted from access, unable to post images, etc. It has built-in search functionality. There can be bots that moderate things. Built-in search feature. Etc. This site is just antiquated.

I also had this problem, and still cannot view any profiles.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:16 PM
TWI/ASN

Versi-scope or whatever it is...

I thought Kyle sold this forum to a Canadian company.

Is it really Chinese?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
Versi-scope or whatever it is...

I thought Kyle sold this forum to a Canadian company.

Is it really Chinese?
I don't think it's actually Chinese, it was just a joke about the silly censorship
Old 01-24-2020, 07:58 PM

A couple of years ago I joined a reef forum and the experience that hit me was WOW! A forum software that is actually in the same decade as me! And it also made me realize that forums as a platform aren't dead as some explanations say. They can be a vital and growing community.

The saving recipe for DB I don't know but I think one part of it is money and new tech like people above also has said.
Dane likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 PM
Mod

You've got enough posts and enough time - you should be able to see most anything here.

If you cannot, you need to post in the https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/de...esk-questions/ section, assuming you can see it.

If you cannot, let me know via PM please.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
I also had this problem, and still cannot view any profiles.

TechnoCheese likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
You've got enough posts and enough time - you should be able to see most anything here.

If you cannot, you need to post in the https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/de...esk-questions/ section, assuming you can see it.

If you cannot, let me know via PM please.

s
Woo hoo, itís working now! Iím not sure if someone gave me the permission or I somehow reached a necessary checkpont for it, but it wasnít working yesterday. Thanks!
Encyclia likes this.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 PM

I joined here DB in 2009. I've frequented the site on and off since then. I agree that the site needs some updates and being able to post photos directly here would be really great. I've never understood the appeal of facebook (never had an account on FB) myself but a few changes here may entice some users to peel away from social media a bit and participate on DB.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM

Yeah, it is a shame to see the decline in this site. I never posted much but I'd hate to even know the number of hours I've spent browsing through threads on here.

Facebook, or any other social media site, cannot replace the functionality of a forum. A post can be made, receive a few comments, and then be lost forever below countless other posts much more quickly than in a forum.

Social media does have it's pluses. Buying/selling has some advantages in that format, IMO.

I'm hopeful that I still see new members popping up here though.

I'm going to try to do my part and start making more posts and trying to answer questions on threads that I may know enough about to be constructive.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:04 PM
Mod

Nobody changed anything - just some benchmarks (posts/time) had to be reached and you reached them.

s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
Woo hoo, itís working now! Iím not sure if someone gave me the permission or I somehow reached a necessary checkpont for it, but it wasnít working yesterday. Thanks!
TechnoCheese likes this.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 AM

I joined in 2017 and at the time I was baffled by how awkward it was to use this forum. The site just feels ancient. At first I had quite a bit of difficulty simply signing up, which is quite rare because I use the internet heavily in my daily life and grew up using it and this was probably one of the first times in a long time where I had genuine difficulty with signing up to a website. I also had issues travelling around and loading the site because it's so slow. I am very thankful for the years of built up knowledge this site has but I think an upgrade needs to happen or else a lot of it will just go to waste. If the website was updated and was less awkward to use I'm certain it'd be more active. Lately I find myself using other platforms more regularly for what I used to use this site for. Other platforms are easier to use and are less limiting in what you can actually do. Other sites are easy to sign up too, make it very easy to communicate with other users, have better ways of posting images, are faster to load and are just more interactive overall.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Honestly the ads on here are extremely distracting, seems to be worse on my mobile or tablet then on my computer. That would be a major improvement for usability of the forum.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:22 PM

Like others have said, there is no substitute for the discussion board format.

Years of valuable information, often subjected to informal (but valuable) peer review and comparison, is archived here. When I came back to this hobby after about a decade, I spent several weeks poring over the archives to get caught up.

Things like Facebook groups are quick and easy, but have no archive and tend to foster a communication style that's less conducive to in-depth discussion and review.

I guess it's my turn to sound old but the Internet has changed; by dint of ubiquity it spreads incorrect information as indiscriminately as it does correct, and you see it all the time on Facebook when people regurgitate 'facts'. Some of them are well-meaning, some of them are young and some of them are just looking for attention.

All of this to say that Dendroboard is a treasure trove of information that shouldn't be lost. Any kind of migration to new forum software should happen, but with adequate back-ups and precautions, since I've seen forum migrations go wrong and cripple search functionality etc.

I'd be happy to pay a small fee the way some forums offer tiered entry level and 'Premium' memberships, but don't know that would be a popular idea.
RyanD, Encyclia and Woodswalker like this.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:52 PM
Mod

Unfortunately that's why they (Vertical Scope) own it - so they can sell ads on it.

They're not going to host it otherwise.

Would've been better to keep it privately owned. Thank you Kyle (sarcasm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsWorlddotcom View Post
Honestly the ads on here are extremely distracting, seems to be worse on my mobile or tablet then on my computer. That would be a major improvement for usability of the forum.
Dane and Woodswalker like this.
Old Today, 01:49 AM

Fahad has it down! I really think this is the REAL value of Dendroboard.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
Like others have said, there is no substitute for the discussion board format....
Absolutely. This hobby is well developed and the know-how is vast.

Quote:
...Things like Facebook groups are quick and easy, but have no archive and tend to foster a communication style that's less conducive to in-depth discussion and review.
THIS!!!! I came back after many years and also agree.

Quote:
All of this to say that Dendroboard is a treasure trove of information that shouldn't be lost.
It is very unfortunate about the image hosting- but there is plenty that can be learned despite! There are so many threads with great discussion and information.

Quote:
I'd be happy to pay a small fee the way some forums offer tiered entry level and 'Premium' memberships, but don't know that would be a popular idea.
I would agree as well. I'm gonna read up on other threads about that.

If we share the value of Dendroboard (links and references) to newcomers to the hobby, some will be dedicated enough to learn and use the forums despite the hurdles. LETS POINT PEOPLE TO THE GOOD THREADS! I've joined the Facebook groups and the richness is lacking. Probably because its too easy? The high quality content is here.
Woodswalker and Lucano like this.