Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Paludarium for Red eared sliders

Hello all,

Im working on a new tank for my turtles. I have purchased a 40 breeder and created a partition near one side as to create a separate land and aquatic habitat. My hopes are to make these areas both ecologically active with vegetation and microfauna.

I am looking for plant recommendations for the land section of the tank as well as substrate. I have considered abg but im not sure if that is necessary or the best for this application. The land should stay relatively dry unless i otherwise decide to water more due to plant requirements. Any ideas!!?? It was also be cool if they were native plants to VA or ones from within RES ranges (which is every where kinda).

thanks!
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018, 02:19 AM

It would be hard to keep the turtles from saturating the land section and moving land substrate into the water section. Reptiles magazine did a planted aquatic turtle tank article once: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Kid-...ving-Vivarium/

Any native plants would likely need a winter dormancy and depending on the age of the turtles, may be eaten. Mint may work if cut back often.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:32 PM

In order to keep the land from being brought into the water, you will need an intermediary area at least 1.5x the length of the turtle that has no substrate. This can be stone or wood just something that is not going anywhere. Any substrate will come off the turtle here before entering the water and can be swept back to the plant area. Otherwise soil will constantly be brought into the water. Plants won't be eaten much but will be trampled. RES rarely if ever eat on land because they need the water to swallow. They may take a bite and then return to the water to eat it. Plants will need to be sturdy enough to survive trampling and digging. They will dig especially females.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:34 PM

Also for substrate a sand heavy substrate works well with these guys. I've used a sand and potting would mix. Make sure there's no perlite or those little styrofoam balls in the soil.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Paludarium for Red eared sliders

Here is a nice one

I remember he posted the build log on both a turtle forum and a cichlid forum but I cannot find them.