Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Talking Porcellio dilatatus Shedding Video

Given their large size, this one's proximity to the viewing area, and my good fortune in noticing the activity, I thought this was a great opportunity for filming. I've never done a video of this nature before, and I can't boast about its quality, but I was pretty jazzed to be able to share footage of one of my Giant Canyons molting. Fun facts were added off the cuff as an afterthought.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 AM

Kinda hard to see details in the video but I always really enjoyed watching my isopods molt. I had wondered why I never found their sheds until I saw how quickly they set about to eating it. Of note was one time when i saw a new antennae emerge from an individual that had previously lost one. It was almost hard to believe that a whole new one could fit crumpled up inside the stump of the old one. Interestingly, this was the only isopod out of hundreds that I could keep track of as it was missing an appendage. Even after it grew back it was still easy to pick out of the crowd because it had picked up a habit of moving its antennae in wider circles while it was compensating for the loss. To this day I still see the ‘unicorn’ as I called it about once a week. Im in the process of aquiring a macro-lens for my dslr and hope to get some high-def footage of these little miracles its so easy to overlook. Isopod molting, a flat worm hunting springtails and milipedes eating are all high on my list. Thanks for sharing!